Levitating Turntable

snap, crackle and pop
derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Levitating Turntable

Post by derspankster » 13 Oct 2016 14:12

New table with levitating platter. Zero friction is claimed. Not sure this is on the level but they have a website - http://thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factor ... lev-audio/ Well - I guess it's not their website but one reporting on the turntable. It isn't April 1st yet, is it?

And, they have a kickstarter campaign apparently.

der
Attachments
7837526a322e01a88020fedf37f87348_original.jpg
(57.72 KiB) Downloaded 1637 times

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Levitating Turntable

Post by fscl » 13 Oct 2016 15:20

Here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/24 ... -turntable

No affiliation, just for your information....... :shock: :shock:

Fred and just wow ! but different LP weights effecting VTA, power failure; talk about slam :shock: ...... :-k :-k :-k

Post by Guest » 13 Oct 2016 15:23

Ah, yes, another "kickstarter" fools turntable project. (remember that U-turn mess?)
A goofy floating platter this time. (eye candy/wow factor of course)
No wow/flutter/speed accuracy specs, but who cares, right? - 'cause the gizmo floats, and it's got nifty lights!

I suppose some pokemon cellphone-addicted walking zombie would be interested in it, surely I am not.

tezzating

Post by tezzating » 13 Oct 2016 16:10

This might be a newbie question but wouldn't the "levitating magnets" cause interference with the pickups in the cartridge?

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 13 Oct 2016 16:26

wrote:Ah, yes, another "kickstarter" fools turntable project. (remember that U-turn mess?)
A goofy floating platter this time. (eye candy/wow factor of course)
No wow/flutter/speed accuracy specs, but who cares, right? - 'cause the gizmo floats, and it's got nifty lights!

I suppose some pokemon cellphone-addicted walking zombie would be interested in it, surely I am not.
Just posted this for informational purposes. Me? Still spinning my nearly 50 year old ARXA.

der

Trio KD1033
England

Post by Trio KD1033 » 13 Oct 2016 19:01

If they can get that to work, I'll eat my own face.

Andy.

Paraneer
long player
long player

Post by Paraneer » 13 Oct 2016 23:26

If you can levitate a whole train and control its speed, surely the same technology can be adapted to levitate a much lighter TT platter and control its speed too at 33 1/3 & 45 rpm. Whether this TT is able to maintain precise speed will only be known once a unit is given to a lab for independent testing.

In the meanwhile, I wouldn't be quick to dismiss the concept or the technology. A modern smartphone will blow away a Star Trek communicator that many were in awe of in the 60's in front of their little 23" TV's. And those were the big ones if you were lucky enough to have one.

Budddhacide

Post by Budddhacide » 14 Oct 2016 00:25

I have a 6perspex that uses magnets to float the platter. It's super cool IMO and works really well. this one does seem to be an excessive take on the technology though. Not sure how it would work without anything centering it, but who know. Still looks cool though.

sebrof

Post by sebrof » 14 Oct 2016 00:51

Not sure if that's for real, but that is really freakin' cool!! Love it.

Danilo_

Post by Danilo_ » 14 Oct 2016 01:01

Paraneer wrote:If you can levitate a whole train and control its speed, surely the same technology can be adapted to levitate a much lighter TT platter and control its speed too at 33 1/3 & 45 rpm. Whether this TT is able to maintain precise speed will only be known once a unit is given to a lab for independent testing.

In the meanwhile, I wouldn't be quick to dismiss the concept or the technology. A modern smartphone will blow away a Star Trek communicator that many were in awe of in the 60's in front of their little 23" TV's. And those were the big ones if you were lucky enough to have one.
Ahhh... A Futurist.
This IS the 21st Century ..Seen Any of the Flying cars we were continually promised..
for Decades.
Mag lev trains rely on Superconducting Magnets Both to lift and contain within the 'trak' space. IE: liquid Helium cooled.
Bit tricky for one's listening room :-)
Also Dead perfect centering is a BIG issue... that Platter would require a circumferential magnet/coil structure In the very least.
Replacing a simple Stoopid axle and bearing is not a Trivial task.

Paraneer
long player
long player

Post by Paraneer » 14 Oct 2016 02:31

Danilo_ wrote: Ahhh... A Futurist.
This IS the 21st Century ..Seen Any of the Flying cars we were continually promised..
for Decades.
A Futurist? Absolutely!
Haven't seen any flying cars but I have seen maglev trains. The technology is there and it can be adapted. If the TT does not perform, then they will sell very few. Or never even bring it to market. But I applaud anyone who tries.

You know, one time naysayers on horseback had the same reaction to the first horseless carriages.

Post by Guest » 14 Oct 2016 02:36

tezzating wrote:This might be a newbie question but wouldn't the "levitating magnets" cause interference with the pickups in the cartridge?
Shhh!
Don't let those "kickstarter" gents know. :shock:

PseudoShooter

Post by PseudoShooter » 14 Oct 2016 02:54

Apparently the TT has a built in UPS that provides enough power to stop play and to raise the feet and lower the platter in case of a sudden power loss.

sebrof

Post by sebrof » 14 Oct 2016 03:34

PseudoShooter wrote:Apparently the TT has a built in UPS that provides enough power to stop play and to raise the feet and lower the platter in case of a sudden power loss.
Good to know - I figured there was some mechanism to prevent a catastrophe.

sebrof

Post by sebrof » 14 Oct 2016 03:37

tezzating wrote:This might be a newbie question but wouldn't the "levitating magnets" cause interference with the pickups in the cartridge?
Maybe not. Budddhacide posted above that he has a platter that is mag lev'd to some extent and apparently no issues with his table.