Your most creative storage options

how clean is your house
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Your most creative storage options...

Post by vinyl master » 15 Mar 2016 00:40

Nice way to use an old record there, FreakBeat...I'm guessing you could warm the record up, say in an oven, and when pliable, wrap it around something like a wine bottle to give it that curled edge?

FreakBeat

Post by FreakBeat » 16 Mar 2016 16:58

Hello,
Nice way to use an old record there, FreakBeat...I'm guessing you could warm the record up, say in an oven, and when pliable, wrap it around something like a wine bottle to give it that curled edge?

It was a broomstick. Otherwise it was as you describe it .

Greetings Freak Beat

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Jun 2016 12:50

This qualifies as an unusual container to hold your records, and I just saw this pic online! Wild, eh??? 8)

Steve Morris

Post by Steve Morris » 22 Jun 2016 21:36

vinyl master wrote:This qualifies as an unusual container to hold your records, and I just saw this pic online! Wild, eh??? 8)

Well I guess the records won't warp in the heat.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Jun 2016 00:38

If recycling a fridge doesn't interest you, check out these two items I found...

If any of you have an old television set, there is this idea...

And then, I don't know if this is sacrilege or not, but you be the judge...

Or here's a crazy thought...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Sep 2016 11:01

Here's another interesting video I saw...

Ike reid

Post by Ike reid » 16 Sep 2016 00:56

I have my 45s temporarily stored on a 1 1/8 inch curtain rod. Will this damage them?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Sep 2016 02:43

Ike reid wrote:I have my 45s temporarily stored on a 1 1/8 inch curtain rod. Will this damage them?
Exactly how are they stored like this, Ike? I would love to see a picture of what you mean... :-k

Ike reid

Post by Ike reid » 16 Sep 2016 05:17

Sorry, it is telling me the file is too big. I will have to reformat it, do I need to use a PDF file?

Ike reid

Post by Ike reid » 16 Sep 2016 12:07

Thank you so much for your help. My vinyl collection is about to triple and I am sure this site and people like yourself will help me with the knowledge I need to maintain them.
Attachments
IMG_0391.JPG
(163.47 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
IMG_0393-1.jpg
(67.81999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
IMG_0392.JPG
(62.94 KiB) Downloaded 445 times

Ike reid

Post by Ike reid » 16 Sep 2016 12:32

I live in Muscle Shoals Alabama and grew up with the children of many great song writers and musicians. Most of which, like myself grew up with cds and tapes and enjoy the convenience of itunes. Unlike myself most haven't fallen in love with vinyl and think they take up too much space. I am buying the whole collection of one of these great song writers ( approximately 300 dating back to his childhood). I will be checking with everyone I know to try to buy the collections of others. I have to thank my mother-in-law for this new love. She allowed me to borrow her collection of about 500 to convert and put on my PC. I now buy everything new I can in vinyl and use iTunes music for the ease of having everything in my pocket. Hopefully one day will have the thousands of cds I own replaced with vinyl. Vinyl is more intimate, I love sitting down and enjoying the event of listening to an album, looking at the art and reading from front to back. I think my generation lost that connection with the way music is listened to..

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Sep 2016 06:56

Ike reid, you live in one the COOLEST music cities in the world, period...8) Duane Allman recorded there...Cher recorded there...Have you been to the FAME studios??? There is a great documentary ("Muscle Shoals") that PBS put out on Rick Hall & FAME Studios...When Lynyrd Skynyrd talks about The Swampers in "Sweet Home Alabama", they are talking about the session guys down at FAME!

You need this album...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3614_Jackson_Highway

And watch this interview with the director of the film...

You need this DVD, too, if you don't have it! :D

https://www.amazon.com/Muscle-Shoals-Ri ... B00H3JHH6Q

Anyhoo, what song writer would you be buying from? :-k I might have heard of him...

By the way, I've never seen a curtain rod used quite in that fashion for storing records...It reminds me of one of these, of which I have a few for fun...

...The rod looks like it would be hard to use if you just needed to find one record...It's like the wire rack, but if the 45's were in good shape, I would think about putting them in sleeves, and finding another way to store them...If they are in really rough shape, it probably won't matter, although it might be slightly inconvenient...

Ike reid

Post by Ike reid » 17 Sep 2016 08:08

That documentary only scratches the surface. I talked to David Hughes "the documentary film maker of the last of the Mississippi Jukes and guitarist for Hubert Sumlin" 13 years ago about doing a documentary about Muscle Shoals. He said it would be a money pit. At the time a friend of mine bought the 3614 Jackson Hwy studio and it really fueled my interest into finding out everything I can about that time before everybody that lived it is dead. We would sit in the studio, smoke a bowl and listen to the music recorded there and close our eye and just imagine what it would have been like to be sitting there that day it was recorded. He later won a grammy for his work on the Black Keys album they recorded there. I had an opportunity to buy that studio for $250000 but I bought my families farm instead. It would have been cool as s**t to live there, but it is better served as the museum that it is now. I have done hundreds of hours of research and from 20 years of being a bar fly in this area I probably know more than the people that lived it by now. Most of the musicians only know about their lives, I know about all of their lives. I can go on about this for hours but I guess I could answer your questions now. The song writer is Terry Skinner. Google him, he was a close friend that was full of great stories. He gave me a recording he did at music mill that was never released of Hank and Waylon that only me and his son have a copy of. The story of the cocaine fuel nights of recording are better than the music. That recording was from days before the DEA busted into Waylons studio in Nashville. The incident that was the Premise of "Don't you think this outlaw s**t has gotten out of hand". As far as storing the 45s on the bar, that is only temporary.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Sep 2016 08:19

Just curious, too, Ike, but since you're new to vinyl, what are you using for a turntable, amp and speakers? :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Sep 2016 08:29

Ike reid wrote:The song writer is Terry Skinner. Google him, he was a close friend that was full of great stories. He gave me a recording he did at music mill that was never released of Hank and Waylon that only me and his son have a copy of.
Wow! :shock: THAT is really cool!! 8) Terry Skinner co-wrote one of my favorite songs...I still have the original 45' of this...

Even the group Alabama had their own version...

Most people may remember the hit version by The Carpenters...

If I am not mistaken, didn't Terry have something to do with these two songs, as well?

I have all of those records, too...I hope Terry's collection is awesome! You'll have to let us know in the "Did You Buy Any Vinyl?" thread, if you find any interesting stuff in there! 8)