Garrard 2025TC Replacement Cartridge identification

the jewel in the crown
ksarao

Garrard 2025TC Replacement Cartridge identification

Post by ksarao » 08 May 2016 22:02

Hello,

I just picked up a Morse HiFi from a thrift store. It has a Garrard 2025TC with radio and a 8 track player. The radio seems to be working (little unclear - possibly need to fix an external antenna). Don't have any 8 tracks to test the tape player. I am happy to use it just as an amplifier to play mp3s off my phone, but really want to get the record player in working order.

The cartridge on the turntable seems to be beyond redemption, with all dirt stuck in it. The turntable revolves - everything else seems to be working. I was wondering if someone could recommend which model cartridge I can order off Ebay or Amazon if possible.

The cartridge does not seem to be removable from the stylus, I am totally new to Turntables - so not aware too much. Please guide on a compatible cartridge replacement. I am in the US if it helps in finding a shipper here.
Attachments
IMG_2623.JPG
(66.01000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 1173 times
IMG_2622.JPG
(63.47 KiB) Downloaded 1200 times
IMG_2621.JPG
(123.49 KiB) Downloaded 1171 times
IMG_2617.JPG
(74.87 KiB) Downloaded 1139 times
IMG_2616.JPG
(77.78 KiB) Downloaded 1162 times

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Garrard 2025TC Replacement Cartridge identification

Post by musicmn » 08 May 2016 23:50

Hi, what you have is a ceramic type cartridge with a flip over stylus 78 on one side and 33/45 on the other. Because of the system you have you need this type of cartridge set up. The one you have can be clean by using a small brush dipped in alcohol or even windex. Just carefully brush all the gunk off and wipe it dry. Don't over do it with the cleaner and you should be fine. I'm not sure as to the brand of your cartridge but once you clean it a name and model number might come up. You can pop it off the headshell by unclipping it at the front, the name might be on top of it. Once you clean it try playing and old record to check if you have any sound coming from it. Ceramic cartridges do go bad over time so if you don't get any sound front it you might need to replace it. Another thing about garrard turntables they are notorious for old dried up grease problems. The grease that the factory used to lubricate the mechanism dries up and gets hard over time. Usually these turntables need a complete strip down, cleaning and fresh grease applied to the mechanism in order for it to work correctly again. If nobody else on this site can ID your cartridge then try sending a couple of picture to Gary at http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com. He might be able to ID it for you and guild you to either a new stylus or a replacement cartridge.

ksarao

Post by ksarao » 09 May 2016 03:38

musicmn wrote:Hi, what you have is a ceramic type cartridge with a flip over stylus 78 on one side and 33/45 on the other. Because of the system you have you need this type of cartridge set up. The one you have can be clean by using a small brush dipped in alcohol or even windex. Just carefully brush all the gunk off and wipe it dry. Don't over do it with the cleaner and you should be fine. I'm not sure as to the brand of your cartridge but once you clean it a name and model number might come up. You can pop it off the headshell by unclipping it at the front, the name might be on top of it. Once you clean it try playing and old record to check if you have any sound coming from it. Ceramic cartridges do go bad over time so if you don't get any sound front it you might need to replace it. Another thing about garrard turntables they are notorious for old dried up grease problems. The grease that the factory used to lubricate the mechanism dries up and gets hard over time. Usually these turntables need a complete strip down, cleaning and fresh grease applied to the mechanism in order for it to work correctly again. If nobody else on this site can ID your cartridge then try sending a couple of picture to Gary at http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com. He might be able to ID it for you and guild you to either a new stylus or a replacement cartridge.

Thank you, I did try it again after cleaning with alcohol, but the needle just can't take the weight of the stylus anymore, practically the whole head comes onto the record if I let it using the lever adjuster. I think the needle/cartridge is pretty much kaput.

On the bright side, the table revolves just fine, no problems with any moving parts - just a replacement cartridge should be good to go. Unfortunately, no markings visible on the cartridge - no model numbers etc. Would the 2025TC have multiple types in it's production run or it was standard across all? I will drop a mail to voiceofmusic.com. (Any ideas on the approximate cost of a cartridge?)

Regards,

gridleakrick

Post by gridleakrick » 09 May 2016 10:48

If you do an internet search by the manufacturer and model number of the whole stereo, you might find info on the cartridge/needle.
Rick

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 09 May 2016 16:38

Hi,
think this might be a Varco TN4b, a generic replacement comes up on Am*z*n for around $14 - $17 with stylus, and at that price I would be inclined to replace the whole cartridge/stylus unit. A search should bring it up, but do take a good look to see that it matches yours.

Paul

BrianMcAllister

Post by BrianMcAllister » 10 May 2016 03:25

Those original Vaco/Varco cartridges had a tendency for the plastic bridge that the stylus rests on to disintegrate. I have had it happen to new old stock ones while still in the box. The newer replacements seem to use a different material.

Any of these is a direct replacement. The only difference between them is the type of stylus that is supplied

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/ ... ategories=

ksarao

Post by ksarao » 22 May 2016 23:33

Thanks to all. It was a Varco TN4b cartridge. Ordered it off Amazon from (myneedstore.com) for $17 including shipping. Took some effort to switch it in, but managed it.

Works fine - short Youtube vid as below [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBhWBjj-_mQ[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBhWBjj-_mQ

juicejacobs2001

Post by juicejacobs2001 » 25 Apr 2019 19:50

Hello I am trying to find out what type of cartridge I have. My 2025tc model record player was working excellent, I had a small accident and placed to much weight on the arm I believe. Now it sounds all garbled. Based on what I read in other posts here, it looks like I may need a new cartridge and needle. I have a few picks here to show what I have. If anyone can help me out, my wife would be most pleased.
Attachments
20190415_154011.jpg
(132.52 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
20190415_153830.jpg
(78.77 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
20190415_153723.jpg
(73.12 KiB) Downloaded 24 times