Classical music currently playing.

name that tune
Post Reply
johnnywalker
senior member
senior member
Posts: 999
Joined: 17 Apr 2008 13:10
Location: Florida

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by johnnywalker » 08 Oct 2015 20:04

I have often wondered about how people develop their tastes in music. I imagine early exposure has a lot to do with it.
No one in my family ever listened to classical music. When I was in the 4th grade, however, my class went on a field trip to the symphony (the audience was made up of other classes on a similar field trip, so it was all young students). They played Mussorsky's Night on Bald Mountain and Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre (it must have been around Halloween), and I was gob-smacked by the experience. I ended up begging my parents for violin lessons, to which they agreed, and my taste in music was forever changed - not that I listen to only classical (I love almost all types of music), but classical became an essential part of my life. My music collection (LPs and CDs) now includes about 900-1000 "classical" recordings (Baroque, Classical, and Romantic, as well as a bit of Modern).

jives11
long player
long player
Posts: 3015
Joined: 25 Oct 2011 13:52

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by jives11 » 08 Oct 2015 20:17

C2H3Cln2 wrote:
The music of Arnold Bax brings me close to the influence of classical and film scores. I was introduced to his music serendipitously while 'browsing' at Olssons Books and records(defucnt), nearly twenty years ago. His works are not as well known as those of most European composers. Which brings me to my other inquiry... Are there any composers, not part of the "Canon," particularly contemporary, that we should be paying attention to? (any non-European?)


Funny you should mention Bax because he is one of my favourites. I have all his Symphonies on CD (two cylces) and a number on LP, including the 6th Symphony which is my favourite, and the 3rd. LP's are a mixture of old RCA and Lyrita recordings and a few Chandos Digital recordings on LP. Wonderful music and if you like Sibelius, I think you would find Bax's Celtic world
http://classicrecords.co.uk/wp-content/ ... SRCS35.jpg

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England
Posts: 2445
Joined: 16 Dec 2008 16:13
Location: Glorious Devon, UK

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by cats squirrel » 08 Oct 2015 22:42

well, if you like film music, you have to give Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich a try, he wrote much for the silver screen. Try "The Unforgettable Year 1919 - Suite Op. 89a: The Assault on Beautiful Gorky", beautiful lyrical melodies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYvxw-IpslU

Then start on his symphonies, my fav is his 11th, although his last (15th) is an experience.

Of modern composers, I like Arvo Pärt.

MonkeyBoy
long player
long player
Posts: 2867
Joined: 31 Dec 2008 20:44
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by MonkeyBoy » 09 Oct 2015 02:55

Lately I have found myself listening to Ceclia Bartoli's "the Impatient Lover" again and again. Also Jacques Offenbach's "Orphee Aux Enfers" with Claudine Collart as Eurydice.

When I was 17 my twin brother said, "Come here! You gotta hear this!". He played Beethoven's "Ode To Joy" for me and I was intrigued. I was heavily into Yes, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, The Who and Hendrix at the time, not to mention The Beatles and was completely taken with this new (to me) example of talent. Ever since then I have delved enthusiastically into the world of Classical music and have never looked back. I now have a "thing" for Baroque chamber music and am really enjoying what I find. Thet thar Telemann feller really was good, doncha think? :D =D>

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1207
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 09 Oct 2015 03:17

MonkeyBoy wrote:Lately I have found myself listening to Ceclia Bartoli's "the Impatient Lover" again and again. Also Jacques Offenbach's "Orphee Aux Enfers" with Claudine Collart as Eurydice.

When I was 17 my twin brother said, "Come here! You gotta hear this!". He played Beethoven's "Ode To Joy" for me and I was intrigued. I was heavily into Yes, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, The Who and Hendrix at the time, not to mention The Beatles and was completely taken with this new (to me) example of talent. Ever since then I have delved enthusiastically into the world of Classical music and have never looked back. I now have a "thing" for Baroque chamber music and am really enjoying what I find. Thet thar Telemann feller really was good, doncha think? :D =D>
If you ever get an opportunity, try to catch a live performance of Ode to Joy with full choir, "sick!" as my teen would say! :lol: a National Symphony concert at the Kennedy Center is so, so much cheaper than here at Lincoln Center! :mrgreen:

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1207
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 09 Oct 2015 03:24

Not strictly "Classical" but within the boundaries, I think.
vangelis.JPG
(505.83 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

jives11
long player
long player
Posts: 3015
Joined: 25 Oct 2011 13:52

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by jives11 » 09 Oct 2015 05:16

cats squirrel wrote:well, if you like film music, you have to give Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich a try, he wrote much for the silver screen. Try "The Unforgettable Year 1919 - Suite Op. 89a: The Assault on Beautiful Gorky", beautiful lyrical melodies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYvxw-IpslU

Then start on his symphonies, my fav is his 11th, although his last (15th) is an experience.

Of modern composers, I like Arvo Pärt.

Yes the 11th is something it contains, for me, the most terrifyingly thrilling section of music I know. I'm rather partial to his 1st Piano concerto which I think he wrote as a portrait of his young Son

johnnywalker
senior member
senior member
Posts: 999
Joined: 17 Apr 2008 13:10
Location: Florida

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by johnnywalker » 09 Oct 2015 13:36

Thet thar Telemann feller really was good, doncha think?
Yes, indeed, and Bach had a few good ideas and could really carry a tune.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England
Posts: 2445
Joined: 16 Dec 2008 16:13
Location: Glorious Devon, UK

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by cats squirrel » 09 Oct 2015 16:36

jives11 wrote:
cats squirrel wrote:well, if you like film music, you have to give Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich a try, he wrote much for the silver screen. Try "The Unforgettable Year 1919 - Suite Op. 89a: The Assault on Beautiful Gorky", beautiful lyrical melodies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYvxw-IpslU

Then start on his symphonies, my fav is his 11th, although his last (15th) is an experience.

Of modern composers, I like Arvo Pärt.

Yes the 11th is something it contains, for me, the most terrifyingly thrilling section of music I know. I'm rather partial to his 1st Piano concerto which I think he wrote as a portrait of his young Son
if you want terrifying and thrilling, try Mahler's 10th, the one completed by Cooke. Has some devil-inspired chords... :twisted:

The Gryphon

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by The Gryphon » 09 Oct 2015 17:15

Vivaldi's Four Seasons........Herbert von Karajan BSO.......pure magic! :D

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1207
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 09 Oct 2015 19:30

I find many of these albums at tag-sales and charity bins, with snippets of works by classical composers. I suppose many albums like this one were pressed in an effort to make this type of music more accessible to the general public. I guess they have their use. I'm not trying to be a snob or anything! :wink:
rev.JPG
(672.3 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1207
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 14 Oct 2015 04:08

Here's a fun documentary I borrowed from my library on DVD. Worthwhile watching, I think:

The collaborative work between Pierre-Laurent Aimard and Stefan Knüpfer is at the centre of the film. Bach's The Art of Fugue is to be recorded. Pierre-Laurent Aimard has decided in favour of concert grand piano Nr. 109 for the Bach recording. The film begins one year before the recording. Knüpfer wants to study instruments from the time of Bach for Aimard. He experiments with sound absorbers made from felt and with glass sound mirrors.
piano.jpg
(67.31999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1207
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 14 Oct 2015 18:56

Although I tend to lean towards the piano as my solo instrument of choice, this is a delightful interpretation of J.S. Bach...
bach.JPG
(443.84 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1207
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 14 Oct 2015 19:45

CBS Masterworks "digital" recording. They advertise it all over the label. Recorded using Sony 1610 system, digital PCM one of the early digital systems from the early eighties, I think. :D
Attachments
Fantasie.JPG
(504.54 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England
Posts: 2445
Joined: 16 Dec 2008 16:13
Location: Glorious Devon, UK

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by cats squirrel » 14 Oct 2015 20:04

early 'digital' not so good, the end of notes are missing. Musicians were asked to play for slightly longer than normal to overcome this shortfall.

Post Reply