Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

turning japanese
fastal007

Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by fastal007 » 23 Jul 2015 22:14

Hi all,
does anybody really know the Viscosity of Technics Original Spindle Oil?
A friend said it's 5/W30, same as Castrol Edge Racing Oil.
Let's know the truth.....!
Regards Fastal.

rewfew
long player
long player

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by rewfew » 24 Jul 2015 01:40

From Kabusa...https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm This is the official original SFWO 010 oil. An aircraft quality synthetic acknowledged by Panasonic to be the original factory reccomended oil for all Technics turntables. It is great for all steel/brass/bronze bearing spindles as well. Now being supplied in a long narrow stem pipette to easily reach into tight spots.
https://www.kabusa.com/GIF/sfwo010.jpg
Hope this quenches the fire of desire to uncover ultimate truth!

jjones3

Post by jjones3 » 24 Jul 2015 03:09

dutchflea

Post by dutchflea » 24 Jul 2015 08:24

What jjones3 said. However any equivalent oil will do, like compressor oil or other synthetic oil without additives and the right viscosity.
rewfew wrote:From Kabusa...https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm This is the official original SFWO 010 oil. ...
https://www.kabusa.com/GIF/sfwo010.jpg
Hope this quenches the fire of desire to uncover ultimate truth!
Well now that you mention this... The funny thing is, when you buy a bottle Anderol 465 it is more tranparent, while the Technics SFWO010 certainly is not, this has an ever slight brownish tint to it.

Though I completely trust KABUSA and their products, I think they might be cheating a bit here. One thing is for sure, the pipette is not the original one from Technics. The product label neither. The Technics SFWO 010 oils came in this pipette with this label. It was packed in a small zipper bag which again was boxed in the typical brown-boxes-with-white-Panasonic-labels that they used for many of their spare parts.

http://images.junostatic.com/full/IS447 ... 01-BIG.jpg

What's inside the KAB pipette might be some left-over stock from the true Technics oil. But it might also be something equivalent, like.... Anderol 465. ;) What I read elsewhere:

"Apparently KAB secured the original MSDS for this oil and identified the source as "synthetic diester oil blend known as Anderol 465" and he is able to source it directly from Anderol."

Nothing wrong with that, but in that case just do not sell it as "the official original SFWO 010 oil". :^o

Anderol 465 is available from many sources.

dutchflea

Post by dutchflea » 24 Jul 2015 08:53

By the way Fastal,

Since many musical instruments like trumpets and saxophones require high quality, synthetic bearing oil you can easily get some from a good music store like Steiner. The guys from Steiner happen to be very friendly and will happily supply you with the right viscosity if you ask. ISO 68 is what you need, which is equivalent to 20W SAE grade. For around 10 pound you will have 30ml in stead of 4 and it will come with a nice needle dropper so you can easily reach the tiniest spots.

However, if you think it Anderol 465 is the way to go, you can also search for pellet stove oil. You'll get results like this, see the name on the label... :mrgreen: 50ml is a lot ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PELLET-STOVE-AN ... 1578426647

fastal007

Post by fastal007 » 24 Jul 2015 10:39

Yeh, that's interesting, I'm right that Castrol Edge would be ok, SAE 20 is well with in the parameters of 5/W30 fully sinthetic racing oil (very high quality).
I can buy Castrol Edge for €15,00 a litre plus a syringe for €1.00.
Bearing in mind the conditions the Spindle runs in, it's not under a very high load at all, plus the high quality of technics micro bearings Edge will easily support them.
As you say it's misleading to advertise that the oil on sale is Technics original, it has similer properties but it's not Technics.
I'm an Engineer so I fully understand the properties of various oils and SAE values, so I'll try the Castrol Edge.
Interesting conversation and great to know other users opinions. Regards Fastal.

fastal007

Post by fastal007 » 24 Jul 2015 10:44

Sorry, that should read "Synthetic", I just got up, so I'm a bit dosy....lol

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 24 Jul 2015 13:54

Turntable oil seems to be a fascinating topic to pop up regularly on forums. With myriad sources and properties. I think the KAB site is not being dishonest with their mention of "original" Technics oil. They said it was discontinued, (like the table itself). And it was sourced from the MSDS as confirmed graciously from Panasonic. So, it's the same thing basically. Different packaging granted, but, who cares. Buy it from where ever, and in large quantities, but at 6 bucks for enough to last the rest of your natural don't feel too gouged. Or use motor oil after all.

fastal007

Post by fastal007 » 24 Jul 2015 14:51

In my Vintage Club we have about 30 members, this is where the question came up, so I thought at €5.00 a pop x30=€150 for an outlay around €20.00, not a bad little earner...!

dutchflea

Post by dutchflea » 24 Jul 2015 18:14

Well yes, surely for the average user with a single turntable a few ml is enough. But since I like to try out different tables and service some of them (clean out bearing and apply new oil, which is then more then 2 drops) I already used up 3 of those pipettes. So for me (a lot) more comes in handy. :)

On the topic of originality I have a different opinion. Again, for me it's simple: if it is not the original oil supplied by Technics, then just don't call it the "official original SFWO 010 oil". You can call it "the same oil as the official original SFWO 010 oil", or "equivalent...". Of "oil of the exact same composition as...". Or "oil of the exact same source as...". For all I care they may even claim it is vastly superior to the Technics oil. I don't care, as long as it's true it's all good. ;)
But there is only 1 official oil and that is from Technics. Only 1 original oil and that is from Technics. Only 1 SFWO 010 oil and that is from Technics. (So actually it is 3 times cheating, hehe ;))

Is suppose I am picky, but to me original is original, not original isn't. Official is official, not official isn't. Makes perfect sense to me.

A comparison? Well, the same goes for replacement styli. How often do you read "original replacement stylus" for a stylus that is not an original stylus but a replacement type from another (often even unknown) source. It's so (deliberately) confusing. If you ask they say it is an "original replacement", but not the original stylus from the original manufacturer. If after that you ask what the "original" part in original replacement means, they do knot know the answer. Go figure... #-o

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 24 Jul 2015 20:34

I wonder if this would work?

http://api.kroon-oil.com/img/web/part/560x560/31092.png

ISO 68 oil. Surely it will last several lifetimes :D

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 24 Jul 2015 20:36

Japi Roelofs wrote:I wonder if this would work?

http://api.kroon-oil.com/img/web/part/560x560/31092.png

ISO 68 oil. Surely it will last several lifetimes :D
Designed for a totally different application better off with gear box oil than that

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 24 Jul 2015 20:47

Hmmm. I've been reading several threads about the best Technics spindle oil, and I would like to get a bigger quantity than the tiny KAB bottle.
What I gathered was that Compressor oil would be the best bet, but you're saying gear box oil is the one to get?

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 24 Jul 2015 20:57

Japi Roelofs wrote:Hmmm. I've been reading several threads about the best Technics spindle oil, and I would like to get a bigger quantity than the tiny KAB bottle.
What I gathered was that Compressor oil would be the best bet, but you're saying gear box oil is the one to get?
Hydraulic oil is designed for a totally different application to bearing lubrication.
Gear box oil is designed for bearing and and rotational lubrication, even Reg recommend for there tt's.

dutchflea

Post by dutchflea » 24 Jul 2015 21:09

That oil could be well suited is probably not fully synthetic but mineral oil. In my opinion, synthetic oil is the way to go really: it tends to have the best properties, like better film forming to prevent bearing wear. They also have least pollution and tend to age better than mineral oils (oxidation). It all depends on the quality though, you can also buy very pure and high quality mineral oils.

However, I think the most important thing is to use an oil without any additives (graphite, etc): those might just clog up the pores of the sintered bronze bearing. Porous bearings tend to be very quiet and can resist high bearing loads, but for that you need to keep those pores open so they can suck themselves full with oil.
Last edited by dutchflea on 24 Jul 2015 21:21, edited 1 time in total.