Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - Merged Topic

name that tune
JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon arrived today!

Post by JoeE SP9 » 01 Jun 2015 17:32

robgil wrote:Every piece of music is a master piece to someone, its just that this one seems to be a bit over rated. :D
I agree with this. Although I've tried to "hear" why others feel this way by buying more than one version/release I can't get behind calling this a masterpiece. It leaves me largely unimpressed. I admit, a PF fan I'm not. Of course YMMV.

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 01 Jun 2015 18:10

"Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon is a masterpiece, and the Prime Minister is to be commended for his taste. It is one of the indisputably great albums of British pop culture: dark, seductive, mesmerising, spacious, dynamic, weird and wonderful, composed on a vast musical canvas by a brilliant group of bold, adventurous musicians and superb lyricists operating at the height of their powers.

Critics may take pot-shots at it now, because some of its power has been lost with the over-familiarity and the crust of venerability that forms around things held in high esteem for so long, but it is worth dismissing such cynicism and listening to it with open ears.

Try and turn back the clock to the very first time you ever heard it, perhaps in a cloud of suspicious smoke. It is a recording that unfolds itself before you, carrying you in a seamless flow from the heartbeats of Speak To Me via the hypnotic weave of Breathe to the rapturous climax of The Great Gig In The Sky, through the cash-register-sampling, seductively satirical groove of Money, to the spectacular whimsy of Brain Damage and the mad, all-embracing descent of Eclipse.

Really pay attention to what is arguably Pink Floyd’s finest accomplishment, and by the time you reach the fading heartbeat in the play-out grooves, you will have been through an emotional and aesthetic wringer. Of course, it probably helps if you have inhaled. Maybe someone could ask Dave about that?"

--Neil McCormick. The Telegraph.
pink-floyd.jpg
(34.84 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/ne ... sterpiece/

robgil
long player
long player

Post by robgil » 02 Jun 2015 10:23

When I was very much younger a few of us would sit in a friends bedroom in clouds of smoke, after a while he would reach for a Floyd album, usually dark side or some other ''relaxed'' Floyd, he would then sit quietly and stare at the ceiling for a few hours and every now and then comment on how great it was, Oh FFS here we go again would be the response. :lol:

and by the time you reach the fading heartbeat in the play-out grooves, you will have been through an emotional and aesthetic wringer.
Or bored out of your mind. :D

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 02 Jun 2015 22:13

robgil wrote:
Or bored out of your mind. :D
Yes. There is a lot of truth to that.

I think many here have opined on the degree of the album's quality, as well as the band's worthiness. I've been defending the work (DSOTM)for its musical merit, and for its intrinsic value as a milestone and 'break through' work of music of its time.

Nevertheless, I can think of a few analogies to back up your statement above, which means that, despite the work's greatness, and the fact that it does possess a 'universal' aesthetic, it will not necessarily appeal to the "universal man or woman."

This is not my concession speech, necessarily, I still think Dark Side of The Moon is a true masterpiece. It will appeal to some, and not others, but that fact does not diminish its value. I will admit that just like any other work of art, it will reach some, and not others.( Also, one must be in the mood to absorb its value.)

Having said that, I just got the Swedish, German, British, pressings of DSOTM, and coming is the 30th anniversary edition.... "The lunatic is in my head!"

Cheers,

robgil
long player
long player

Post by robgil » 03 Jun 2015 09:03

That's the thing, I think that buying several issues would lead one to believe its quality within the recording/pressing you are after, no doubt its a good album, or for me was a good album many moons ago. I have the SACD which I think sounds nice but I rarely listen to it, so it could be one of those things where for some quality comes before content? or both stride hand in hand, I have quite a few albums bought simply for their quality of playback that I rarely listen to.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 03 Jun 2015 14:00

robgil wrote:Every piece of music is a master piece to someone, its just that this one seems to be a bit over rated. :D
Agreed..... music is just a reflection/expression of a frame of mind.... an emotion.

If one can not relate to a particular frame of mind, they will no relate to the music that reflects it.

For example, it's impassible for me to relate to the fame of mind that "rap' reflects.;)

DSOTM? Yeah.... I can relate to that. :)
Last edited by JDJX on 03 Jun 2015 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 03 Jun 2015 14:02

robgil wrote: for some quality comes before content? or both stride hand in hand,
In my case, content demands quality. If a piece of music is mediocre, in composition, or performance, or talent of the composer/artist, no amount of technical enhancement, I think, will improve the lack of any or all. In fact, better quality playback exacerbates shortcomings.

I have noticed, for instance, that in some contemporary 'pop' recordings, digital enhancements of the performance has nearly obscured the artists' intentions ( in some cases done purposely to enhance a lack of inborn talent #-o ) Of course it would be unfair to the artist to single out any recording here. But I'm sure we all have our favorite examples in mind.

I think it's a rare luxury to be able to sample the various pressings of DSOTM. It's also a harmless and enjoyable past time: trying to identify the variations in quality; the methodical care used by the artists, engineers, and everyone involved in the process of releasing the first issue, to the 'quick and dirty' churning out vinyl copies to meet the demand of a highly successful or popular works of music.

The trick for me, I think, is finding the best pressing that will become the 'base line' for comparison. I've read that the "solid blue prism" first UK pressing of DSOTM is the golden mean. I have yet to find such pressing that I could afford ( demand seems to never diminish for this first issue) so I could compare the various other releases I have acquired.

In short, still trying to reach DSOTM nirvana :D
The_Dark_Side.jpg
(482.47 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Cheers

robgil
long player
long player

Post by robgil » 03 Jun 2015 14:44

I went into Greggs today for a sarnie when I was in town , guess what was playing? Really, in Greggs.
Everyone was crying into their cheese and pickle baguettes. :lol:

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 04 Jun 2015 01:49

A pickle baguette? That would make me cry also. :lol:

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 04 Jun 2015 02:13

I also think DSOTM is a masterpiece, and I've never been bored listening to it - however, I don't listen to it every day.
There are a few other albums that I think are "masterpieces" that others would find no time for. Lets say, Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World", Roxy Music's "Stranded", Neil Young's "Tonights the Night" or The Sensational Alex Harvey Band's "The Impossible Dream".
I know some people who don't like the Beatles - in fact despise them to some extent. I put it down to their experience of only hearing the singles on the radio instead of hearing Revolver or Abbey Road from start to finish on a decent stereo.
As good as DSOTM is though, I still listen to Wish You Were Here or Meddle more often.

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 04 Jun 2015 03:00

ginniegatrit wrote: As good as DSOTM is though, I still listen to Wish You Were Here.....
I watched the documentary of the making of WYWH. It, the documentary, made me aware of the Band's rationale for creating the album: a dirge for Syd Barrett.

In the documentary, the unexpected visit by Syd Barret to the recording studio, and the way David Gilmour tells it, with the aid of the polaroid photograph of the metamorphosed Barrett, was sad and creepy. I now listen to the album and hear their sense of purpose. It's an outstanding tribute, nearly as haunting as Mozart's Requiem Mass in D minor.

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 04 Jun 2015 08:26

I must be one of only a few around here who's never actually bought a copy of DSOTM (I did have my sisters copy for a while though!) ... and I've only recently bought the Wall and WYWH.

Can't really explain why either , I was around and buying records at the time ... all sorts from Alan Stivell to Ash Ra Tempel and beyond ... but not the Floyd.

hoolio
Australia

Post by hoolio » 07 Jun 2015 06:08

Dark Side of The Moon spent 741 weeks in the Billboard Charts in the US. It has sold about 50 million copies and still sells 8 to 9 thousand copies a week.
How can so many people have got it wrong over so long a period of time! :lol:

Read all about its' success here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_S ... Moon#Sales

Artzineonline

Post by Artzineonline » 07 Jun 2015 16:17

hoolio wrote:Dark Side of The Moon spent 741 weeks in the Billboard Charts in the US. It has sold about 50 million copies and still sells 8 to 9 thousand copies a week
There is a certain logic about defending a thesis, which I'm now going to go against. This, however, does not imply a denial of the value of DSOTM as an extraordinary work of art. Nevertrheless, one has to be cautions when suggesting that, in general, success in sells or popularity implies intrinsic greatness. By that I mean that we have to take into account the tremendous influence that Park Avenue and 'marketing' has had on "sheeple" (people :D) Advertising in the United States was made into an art in the late fifties, and its influence has propelled ABBA as well as Floyd, with great success.

"Having been released in the United States on March 10, The Dark Side Of The Moon entered the Billboard album chart at the rather underwhelming position of number 95." -- John Harris.

Enter Capitol Records Chairman Bhaskar Menon, 1972.. " Menon resolved to rapidly build on the enthusiastic press notices and devoted U.S. audience Pink floyd had slowly amassed through the early 1970s and institute an uprecendented push: 'a marketing campaign which was far more extensive than anything there record company had ever done."... Manon, in cahoots with Steve O'rourke had more ambitious plans: to break with one of Pink Floyd's tacit rules, and promote Dark Side via a release of a single.... to break into the top 40 charts. ' So it was that 'MONEY' was recast in a new shortened version, sent to radio stations having been divested of the word 'BULLSHIT.' --John Harris DSOTM

'The thing I remember most about the period after that was the incredible annoyance at the gigs" Gilmour recalled. "We were doing these places where all the young kids would be shouting 'MONEY!' all the way through the show."

The above quotes are taken from the book 'The Dark Side of the Moon, The making of the Pink Floyd Masterpiece" by John Harris. It is intended to dilute the notion that, Sales = Greatness. Having said that
(as I listen to the chilling melody of Brain Damage on my headphones) I am not persuaded to think of DSOTM as less than a tremendous piece of musical genius. But we should learn to appreciate its greatness not from the overarching footprint of sales, but for the symphonic value of every note that embeds into your mind and burrows its pathos into the very marrow of your bones.
DSOM.jpg
(36.66 KiB) Downloaded 412 times

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 07 Jun 2015 18:28

hoolio wrote:Dark Side of The Moon spent 741 weeks in the Billboard Charts in the US. It has sold about 50 million copies and still sells 8 to 9 thousand copies a week.
How can so many people have got it wrong over so long a period of time! :lol:

Read all about its' success here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_S ... Moon#Sales
Commercial success does not necessarily mean good. In fact, most of the time the two are only tenuously related. So, yes the question (IMO) is, "How can so many people get it wrong?".