Pioneer PLX-1000

the final frontier
irons1965

Re: Pioneer PLX-10000

Post by irons1965 » 20 Feb 2015 22:52

I've already seen that video and posted my thoughts on it on another forum.

There's no doubting the lasting legacy of 1200/1210's but I can't take anybody seriously that states that Pioneer missed a trick by not including an internal phono stage?? :roll:

The feedback bit at the end also came across as dubious as well....Two points were made by other posters on the other forum which seemed valid to me:-
The bearing end of the PLX-1000 is closer to the speaker for starters, also both decks were on different tables (whose to say that the one supporting the Pioneer wasn't as well isolated?)

My Pioneer is no more than 0.5 metre away from the side of one of my loudspeakers (sitting on the top shelf of an mdf Quadraspire rack) with no feedback problems at any volumes.

Like anything else, I would advise people to go out and listen to one of these yourselves before writing it off....Take a piano recording with you and make your own minds up about the wow and flutter reading- Then decide for yourselves if it's unacceptable.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 20 Feb 2015 23:48

One thing that struck me during the unboxing part of the video is that the turntable is being shipped with the platter on it. That is kind of weird isn't it?

irons1965

Post by irons1965 » 21 Feb 2015 06:40

That box had already been opened Japi- The unit is shipped the same way as a Technics (platter is separate, main unit is on the bottom of the box).

The dustcover is in its own wrapper as well...I could pick so many holes in that video, it's so clear to my eyes that the person doing the comparison wanted to discredit the Pioneer from the start. :wink:

As I say, if anyone is interested simply go and see/listen to one for yourselves!

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 21 Feb 2015 14:51

Right, it's a conspiracy. DJ so and so has got it in towards Pioneer products. Totally rigged, fake, a sham. Like the moon landing. Seems like he gave it every possible effort to rule out an unequal chance other than the Pioneer table's bearing strategically placed very slyly and unfairly say 2 or 3 cm closer to the speaker. When one has a vested interest, say their hard earned money in something, the propensity to take critical review can be side lined unless it flat out does not work. It works, makes seemingly nice music, whats the problem? For me the problem is from the shill reviews and references towards carrying on the legacy. If I understand right from the most vaunted reviewer, it could take on anything in the 2K price range, (which seems to be the price now of remaining 1200's). All to get critical interest peaked to check out this new kid on the block. Buzz. Time will tell, it's early on and newness fades. My bets on the original.

MaxFelicity14

Re: Pioneer PLX-1000

Post by MaxFelicity14 » 21 Feb 2015 18:54

someone to tell me in Grade Which is the mass of the tonearm?

irons1965

Post by irons1965 » 21 Feb 2015 21:19

rewfew wrote:Right, it's a conspiracy. DJ so and so has got it in towards Pioneer products. Totally rigged, fake, a sham. Like the moon landing. Seems like he gave it every possible effort to rule out an unequal chance other than the Pioneer table's bearing strategically placed very slyly and unfairly say 2 or 3 cm closer to the speaker. When one has a vested interest, say their hard earned money in something, the propensity to take critical review can be side lined unless it flat out does not work. It works, makes seemingly nice music, whats the problem? For me the problem is from the shill reviews and references towards carrying on the legacy. If I understand right from the most vaunted reviewer, it could take on anything in the 2K price range, (which seems to be the price now of remaining 1200's). All to get critical interest peaked to check out this new kid on the block. Buzz. Time will tell, it's early on and newness fades. My bets on the original.
Sorry but you waste too many words for me.

The Pioneer plays records. Very well in fact.

majick47

Post by majick47 » 22 Feb 2015 19:18

Hope springs eternally that the classic Technics SL-1200Mk2 will be reincarnated by someone else at least as good if not better. This time Pioneer is giving it a shot and by all appearances this is a slightly better polished example of the Hanpin Turntable Factory Super OEM turntables wearing the Pioneer badge. From the Pioneer factory literature I'v read this model is squarely targeted to DJs and not the so called "audiophile" consumer market. As noted the specs are the give away that Hanpin still hasn't been able to match the superior performance specs of the Technics, this may not be a significant issue for DJs but for those seeking a decent level of sound quality it's disappointing news. At the Pioneers price point it shouldn't be too difficult to also purchase a preowned near mint example of the Technics SL-1200Mk2 that still reins supreme over all the knockoffs and pretenders.

irons1965

Post by irons1965 » 22 Feb 2015 19:46

It would be interesting to see of how many people contributing to this thread actually own a PLX-1000.

There's lots of quoting of specifications and so forth, how many have actually heard or tried a sample in their own system?

DK1

Post by DK1 » 22 Feb 2015 23:44

I've had a PLX1000 for nearly two months now as part of my domestic hi-fi set-up and I absolutely adore it, (it replaced a Project Debut Carbon - a very competent tt but bested by the Pioneer). Tried all the Ortofon 2M range before settling on the 2M Black, (2M Bronze was quieter but beaten by the Black for outright performance). For my own use the Pioneer is excellent at what it does and I have no complaints :D. I've never heard a Technics so I guess I'm in no position to compare.

woody007

Post by woody007 » 23 Feb 2015 01:24

On the specs, This deck is indeed lower spec'ed than the omnipotent SL 1200 Mark II but it's a respectable deck nonetheless (I own two of them). On the W&F I suspect based on circumstantial observation and some speed/phase stability experiment I conducted that the stated W&F of the PLX is over estimated as this deck is based on the third generation of Super OEM which is also the basis for Reloop's RP-8000 which is spec'ed out at 0.01% W RMS W&F. Reloop stated that the "Impact of stylus, record, and tone arm not taken into account" in relation to its stated W&F which means they measured the deck's waveforms while it spins, had Pioneer done that they would have a similar W&F but instead they copy and pasted the specs for Hanpin (lazy and unworkmanlike).

Personally I have 3 gripes with this deck, first and foremost the tonearm bearings are not as smooth as the 1200's, it's been over 10 years and hanpin still hasn't figured this out. Second, this deck's W&F is not as good as it can get because super OEM's keep their speed with the use of 3 hall sensors in combination with a platter step position and photo detector scheme which can never ever possibly hope to be as good as The 1200's phased locked loop detection scheme. Third, the vibration dampening on all Super OEM's is an afterthought (and probably the easiest flaw to fix).

I for one think that if super OEM's were to overcome the 3 aforementioned flaws they would truely be able to carry on the torch.

This is not to say that the PLX is a bad deck, it has its flaws.

irons1965

Post by irons1965 » 23 Feb 2015 09:22

Thanks for the balanced post Woody...Its nice to hear from someone that actually owns a Pioneer!

Lymbo90

Post by Lymbo90 » 24 Feb 2015 03:49

The PLX does not ship with the platter on it. I own one and the platter was definitely not on the platter. That's total B.S. and yet another reason to doubt that YouTube video from some hack DJ in Dubai. And as someone else said, recommending an internal pre-amp? And, he probably packed up the PLX he had and transported it to Dubai with the platter on it and damaged it. Good gawd. What a stooge.

I love Technics. Several of their turntables are phenomenal. History has proven that. Hell, I own 3. A modded 1200MK2, a 1600MK2 and an SL-7.

I will say I'm extremely pleased with my PLX-1000. I don't give a crap what any fanboy claims. It's a damn nice turntable.

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147 ... jpg2_1.jpg

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147 ... C02095.jpg

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147 ... C02191.jpg

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147 ... C01043.jpg

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147 ... 2191_1.jpg

irons1965

Post by irons1965 » 24 Feb 2015 09:13

At last someone that owns a number of turntables and can put a bit of perspective on things...That'll do for me, cheers Lymbo!

DK1

Post by DK1 » 04 Mar 2015 08:29

Just as an update my Pioneer is heading off for a warranty repair to rectify this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSwb2DcojLU

Loose tonearm bearings. This is not my tt in the video, just an example of the problem. Also whilst getting it ready for its journey I've just discovered that the paint has flaked-off the tonearm where the lock clamps to it, this is a little poor considering that it's only had about 50 hours domestic use so far...

Cheers to Darren for bringing the loose bearing problem to my attention, I wouldn't have checked it otherwise.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 04 Mar 2015 10:35

DK1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSwb2DcojLU

Loose tonearm bearings. This is not my tt in the video, just an example of the problem.
Wow. That is a brutal way to check the arm bearings. Many arms would not survive that test.