Your most creative storage options

how clean is your house
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Your most creative storage options...

Post by vinyl master » 22 Feb 2014 06:25

I'm curious...How many of you guys have repurposed an unusual container to hold your records? Or maybe your CD's or 45's? Maybe you've recycled an unusual piece of furniture to hold your collection, or equipment? I recently came across a few non-collapsible black plastic crates, meant to hold green beans. I noticed that they were sturdy, but not large enough to hold LP's without the tops sticking out. Somehow, I was thinking of uses for them, since I like to recycle stuff when I can. I placed a few 78's in them, and found that they were the perfect size to hold the 10" records! :D Of course, I have other lidded boxes to hold the really good 78's, but the common ones might go in one of these black crates. I also rescued an old display rack once that held beverage bottles that I've been considering using as a shelf for more records, with a few adjustments and modifications, or maybe for my equipment someday. It's gotten to the point where if I see an interesting container, or piece of furniture at the thrift shop, flea market, or even in a dumpster on the rare occasion, I'm thinking...how can I use this for my collection somehow? Anyone else have the same dilemma? What's the most unusual or creative item you've repurposed for your collection or music room?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Your most creative storage options...

Post by vinyl master » 22 Feb 2014 15:50

I have also utilized old apple crates, soda pop crates, and other wooden boxes to hold albums in the past. There are a couple of guys at local antique shops here that have utilized a bunch of these large wooden crates to display and sell their vinyl. Plastic milk-type crates of the right size, thin "Supreme Crates" like the ones The Container Store sells, and old metal dairy crates are other options. With so many albums, sometimes you need to use whatever you can find. I have also reused large and small platter paks to hold various sub-collections for certain artists/genres.

spud1909

Post by spud1909 » 12 Mar 2014 21:29

I could do with finding a creative storage option. At the moment, my records are stored with one end against a table and the other against a wall, but I'm quickly running out of room as my collection grows! The table can't go along anymore and I'm pretty sure that the wall won't move!

spud1909

Post by spud1909 » 12 Mar 2014 21:33

I'm not against getting some cases, but my wife loves to see the records, which I can understand.

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 13 Mar 2014 01:14

I hated when they reduced the size of the milk crates and couldn't fit LP's in them anymore.

spud1909

Post by spud1909 » 13 Mar 2014 08:41

I used to work in a dairy factory, so I've been put off of those things for life!

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 19 Mar 2014 13:14

A few months back I was on the lookout for something I could use as a drying rack to park LP's on after washing them , the most suitable thing I could find at the time appeared to be these 'Rexel Ecodesk' file holders but the price over at Amazon was a ludicrous £9.99 each!! ... sod that I thought.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 000_-1.jpg
Not long after though while searching around for something similar, I spotted someone on ebay selling 5 of the same rack in an auction starting at 99p , which I duly won! ... so I got 5 racks for about a tenner , much more reasonable.

Anyway the do the trick nicely as drying racks, but even better I can fix them on the wall and they work quite nicely as storage for whatever is on the play list at any particular time ... quite neat I think!

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 9_0041.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 9_0051.jpg

Peter Galbavy

Post by Peter Galbavy » 19 Mar 2014 13:25

Ooh! I like!

I am currently umming and aahhhing over "book stands" to hold a single cover while playing, but I like this option.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 20 Mar 2014 05:41

I like, too!! =D> I applaud you, good sir! Those file holders are pretty ingenious, and I like the modern art aesthetic of them...I have some file holders like that, but they're a little simpler in design...Maybe now I might have to think of re-using them in a similar way? Just curious, what was your preferred method of attaching them to the wall, and how much weight can they hold?

spud1909

Post by spud1909 » 20 Mar 2014 07:28

That is cool!

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 20 Mar 2014 13:01

Thanks folks!
Nothing too grand here with the fixings , just some kitchen type hooks?
Luckily the file holders have quite a broad lip at the back which comes in handy here ...

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... L1000_.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 0_0011.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 0_0021.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 0_0031.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 9_0041.jpg

I didn't do much in the way of measuring either, so it's just a 'makeshift' arrangement at the moment.
I've got to decorate this room sooner or later so it might change a bit in the coming months!
Weight wise they seem quite happy holding a full load of LP's , and that includes a few doubles that are 180gm , one rack has had 6 doubles and one single LP for a while now so no concerns there!

Apologies for the cheapie photo's by the way!

HiFi Punker

Post by HiFi Punker » 20 Mar 2014 15:23

For a year I've been storing my singles in cereal boxes cut in half XD
That was the first thing on my hands when i bought my tenth single.
I've got 50+ now, and need another cereal box... :D

Joe in Seattle

Post by Joe in Seattle » 20 Mar 2014 16:40

I filled a standard closet in my home with two of the units from LP bins.com and am storing about 900 LPs that way. I have them alphabetized, and they're relatively easy to find – except for my failures in alphabet ties station.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Mar 2014 06:17

HiFi Punker wrote:For a year I've been storing my singles in cereal boxes cut in half XD
That was the first thing on my hands when i bought my tenth single.
I've got 50+ now, and need another cereal box... :D
Of course! CEREAL BOX RECORDS! I've got a few of those...You mean, like these?

Personally, I think you should buy some Wheaties, because once you get into vinyl full time, my friend, YOU'RE GONNA NEED 'EM!! :lol:

HiFi Punker

Post by HiFi Punker » 27 Mar 2014 15:44

HAHAHA, I can't believe it. Records on cereal boxes XD
I was talking about ordinary 45's, I just put 'em in a box cut in half.
I mean, it's the perfect combo: you get a couple of breakfasts and two record containers.
One day I'm gonna get an old filing cabinet for my LP's.
I am into vinyl full time, however my wallet is frequently stopping me -.-