Mini-anni progress

light fantastic
tim_bissell
Great Britain

Mini-anni progress

Post by tim_bissell » 12 Feb 2012 16:54

My prototype mini-anni is up and running, and sounding pretty good. I finally got around to shipping a design off to my friendly local CNC routing shop, and he's cut me some inner plinth layers and some baseboards.

I won't get a chance to work with them until the weather warms up, but here they are 'raw'.

Note the extra cutouts; these are to allow their use with PT Vector subchassis.

-- Tim

P.S. Looks like this Export sub chassis was subjected to some 'Linn' tightening [-X - let that be a lesson to us all!

http://www.lotsov.webspace.virginmedia. ... _parts.jpg
http://www.lotsov.webspace.virginmedia. ... _above.jpg
http://www.lotsov.webspace.virginmedia. ... ective.jpg

Eric van Spelde

Re: Mini-anni progress

Post by Eric van Spelde » 14 Feb 2012 16:48

Nice... (not the armboard bolt tightening o'course) ... :)

SimonLogan

Post by SimonLogan » 24 Feb 2012 23:26

Tim and I tried a blind listening test of the following turntables, as Tim described them:
PT1 (1985 model with Escap motor) and Maplin linear regulated PSU.
PTMA (based on a 1984 model with Escap motor) with my linear regulated PSU.

both with:
Funk 5mm achromat
Funk FXRII and AT-33PTG cartridge

so the only difference is in my Anni-like plinth and suspension, carbon/balsa sub chassis carrying motor and spindle, and the PSUs.
Tim sent me two sets of recordings, with no information to identify which was which. In my listening tests I consistently preferred the one which turned out to be the PTMA. It had a good deal more bass, and sounded punchier with a better tonal balance. Voices and treble were very similar; I had a slight preference for the PTMA on some tracks.

Overall a very worthwhile improvement in sound quality. Could I have a kit please Tim? :)

Simon

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 25 Feb 2012 20:33

Hi Simon,

Thanks listening and for the kind comments; for reference, these recordings were recorded with an Edirol (Roland) FA66 firewire ADC, at 96KHz/24bit on an iMac using Audacity, with no manipulation except a bit of fade in/out at the start/end of track.

A kit may well be beyond me given the internal variations of the PT1, but a complete set of parts and some written/illustrated guidance for a confident and well-equipped DIYer, (as well as a conversion or part-exchange service) may well be in the offing :wink:

-- Tim

SimonLogan

Post by SimonLogan » 26 Feb 2012 19:22

tim_bissell wrote:Hi Simon,
Thanks listening and for the kind comments;
No problem, it was fun.
tim_bissell wrote: A kit may well be beyond me given the internal variations of the PT1, but a complete set of parts and some written/illustrated guidance for a confident and well-equipped DIYer, (as well as a conversion or part-exchange service) may well be in the offing :wink:
I'd definitely be interested in the conversion or p/x services if you develop them Tim. Realistically with the ages of my kids I'm never going to get the time to do that kind of conversion myself.

Thanks,
Simon