vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by JoeE SP9 » 01 Dec 2019 17:02

apastuszak wrote:
30 Nov 2019 16:00
jdjohn wrote:
30 Nov 2019 15:34
Mine came with the R1000EDT. I thought it sounded pretty bright and detailed for a Shure. That arm handles high compliance carts especially well.
I have a SuperOM cartridge and an OM10 stylus. I may put that on. I just HATE aligning cartridges. I didn't get the overhang gauge that came with the turntable. That would make life a lot easier.
Follow these directions by ralph124c41. It doesn't get much easier.

With a 2-point protractor, align the cartridge perfectly on the inner grid, with the stylus on the correct point.
Move it to the outer grid.
There are 3 possibilities:
1 - It is perfectly aligned. You are done.
2 - The cartridge angles outward: move it forward, and try again.
3 - the cartridge angles inward: move it back, and try again.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 01 Dec 2019 18:51

JoeE SP9 wrote:
01 Dec 2019 17:02
apastuszak wrote:
30 Nov 2019 16:00
jdjohn wrote:
30 Nov 2019 15:34
Mine came with the R1000EDT. I thought it sounded pretty bright and detailed for a Shure. That arm handles high compliance carts especially well.
I have a SuperOM cartridge and an OM10 stylus. I may put that on. I just HATE aligning cartridges. I didn't get the overhang gauge that came with the turntable. That would make life a lot easier.
Follow these directions by ralph124c41. It doesn't get much easier.

With a 2-point protractor, align the cartridge perfectly on the inner grid, with the stylus on the correct point.
Move it to the outer grid.
There are 3 possibilities:
1 - It is perfectly aligned. You are done.
2 - The cartridge angles outward: move it forward, and try again.
3 - the cartridge angles inward: move it back, and try again.
When you have bad up-close eyesight, aligning a catridge is a huge PITA. I removed the R1000 EDT from the headshell, and damaged it in the process.

https://i.imgur.com/s4a1fn7.jpg

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 01 Dec 2019 19:37

It is now one hour since I started to align a SuperOM cartridge with an OM10 stylus on it. And after an hour, I am admitting defeat. I've gone from a magnifier app on my phone, to an illuminated magnifying glass, to a 10X jeweler's loupe with a flashlight, and I still can't see what the hell I'm doing. I have no idea how you people can align a cartridge. I can't see the lines under the cartridge, and when I use a magnifying aid, it looks different from every angle. At one point, I thought I had it on the crosshairs, then I changed my viewing angle and I was NOT on the crosshairs.

I would like to bang my head against my desk now till I am unconscious, because that would cause less mental anguish than trying to align a cartridge properly.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 01 Dec 2019 20:20

apastuszak wrote:
01 Dec 2019 19:37
I would like to bang my head against my desk now till I am unconscious, because that would cause less mental anguish than trying to align a cartridge properly.
I got to tell you I got a kick out of reading your description attempting to align your cartridge. Sorry, but it was funny as hell visualizing it. If your challenged visually as you pointed out, maybe you could just buy a pre-mounted cart for the type of headshell your table uses. The cartridge you removed looked like you took a crowbar to it. So, dexterity and visual impairment makes for a potent potential disaster for you. No bad inference meant. A fellow just needs to know his limitations is all. Here's a way to keep your blood pressure from spiking. https://www.turntableneedles.com/BC95E- ... n-Spin-Kit You can upgrade the stylus apparently to either a hyper elliptical or shibata, and it gets some nice reviews from other's finding alignment a challenge.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 01 Dec 2019 21:34

Ok, this picture might point out my frustration. This is the OM10 cartridge I bought off of eBay:

https://i.imgur.com/jtiYoQm.jpg

Note how it's impossible to see the stylus tip at all. Starting to wonder if this is even a genuine Ortofon cartridge or a counterfeit.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 01 Dec 2019 22:31

apastuszak wrote:
It is now one hour since I started to align a SuperOM cartridge with an OM10 stylus on it. And after an hour, I am admitting defeat. I've gone from a magnifier app on my phone, to an illuminated magnifying glass, to a 10X jeweler's loupe with a flashlight, and I still can't see what the hell I'm doing. I have no idea how you people can align a cartridge. I can't see the lines under the cartridge, and when I use a magnifying aid, it looks different from every angle. At one point, I thought I had it on the crosshairs, then I changed my viewing angle and I was NOT on the crosshairs.

If you can't see the grid lines or the crosshair on a protractor perhaps a visit to an Optometrist is in order. I wear prescription glasses and can easily see the grid lines from 3' away.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 01 Dec 2019 23:00

JoeE SP9 wrote:
01 Dec 2019 22:31
apastuszak wrote:

If you can't see the grid lines or the crosshair on a protractor perhaps a visit to an Optometrist is in order. I wear prescription glasses and can easily see the grid lines from 3' away.
I see the eye doctor yearly. I have glasses for distance. Normal range I can see just fine. Realluy up close if difficult. I have a lazy eye that starts to act up when I get really close. I can see the lines just fine. What I can't see is the stylus on the lines. And with the cantalever not being visible on the stylus I have (see the above photo), that makes it even worse.

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 01 Dec 2019 23:32

apastuszak wrote:
01 Dec 2019 23:00

I see the eye doctor yearly. I have glasses for distance. Normal range I can see just fine. Realluy up close if difficult. I have a lazy eye that starts to act up when I get really close. I can see the lines just fine. What I can't see is the stylus on the lines. And with the cantalever not being visible on the stylus I have (see the above photo), that makes it even worse.
You could try one of the mirrored protractors, even the best of us can experience parralax error where moving your head one way or the other will give a slightly different result, a lazy eye will not be helpful. . .

Chris

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 02 Dec 2019 00:15

I have a Ortofon Super OM30. I use regardless for any cart, the old tape a length of mechanical pencil lead trick to a flat surface of a cart to increase the ability to check parallelism more accurately with the grid lines. On the front of the mounting base of the OM is a flat area. Tape the mechanical pencil lead there and when you stare down with glasses or magnifying glass you can get a good view of the pencil lead protruding away from the headshell. Checking then if one end or the other of the pencil lead is symmetrical at either end to the grid lines, parallax effect or not.
https://soundapproach.com/media/catalog ... rtom10.jpg
I look from the front or obliquely with a magnifying glass to get the stylus tip located on the crosshair on both nulls, then look down over the pencil lead to check parallelism, making adjustment as necessary, rechecking stylus to crosshair's. Maybe a family member or friend can do this if your eye's won't cooperate. If all else fails, maybe a pre-mounted cartridge like linked is the answer to unnecessary mental duress. Good luck, and no disrespect meant with my prior post. It just sounded like a Clark Griswold project, (Chevy Chase), especially seeing the old cart's removal condition.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 02 Dec 2019 00:58

apastuszak wrote:
01 Dec 2019 21:34
Ok, this picture might point out my frustration. This is the OM10 cartridge I bought off of eBay:

Note how it's impossible to see the stylus tip at all. Starting to wonder if this is even a genuine Ortofon cartridge or a counterfeit.
Strange stylus indeed, as it should have a notch at the end :
Screenshot_20191202-015420~2.png
(496.99 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Probably not a genuine one.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 02 Dec 2019 01:01

bernard1 wrote:
02 Dec 2019 00:58
apastuszak wrote:
01 Dec 2019 21:34

Strange stylus indeed, as it should have a notch at the end :
Screenshot_20191202-015420~2.png
Probably not a genuine one.
It's genuine. Just new old stock, before Ortofon started to use the cutout.

https://i.imgur.com/vLtbJju.jpg

chgc

Post by chgc » 02 Dec 2019 01:35

I don’t know if this will help, but my 2 cents: first check that the cantilever is straight in the cartridge— in line with the cart body. You need to be able to see the tip of the stylus to get it on the cross hairs. If you can see the tip of the stylus, look from in front of the cart to determine if the tip is on the tangent line, and then look from the side to determine if the tip is on the radial line. Then just line up any part of the cartridge body that is parallel or perpendicular to the cantilever with the grid. A pencil lead would help here, but I’ve never found it necessary (but I don’t have any weird shaped carts). Or just get it in the ballpark and it will likely be fine. (Nice lookin' turntable, by the way.)

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 02 Dec 2019 01:43

I have found those OM Ortofons to be a pain as well.

Nowadays when I align a cartridge, I don't look from the top so much anymore. I do most of my 'viewing' from just above the surface of the record in front of the cartridge, looking straight down the chute of the cantilever/needle while shining a pen flashlight down the chute as well. To get the stylus on the crosshair, I line it up first looking from the front, and then from the side since the diamond is always slightly back from the tip, and often tilts a bit forward, so I try to make sure the actual tip is on the crosshair. This is more taxing on my knees and back than my eyes :)

I start with the cartridge all the way in the front of the headshell, squarely in the front of the headshell slots. I start with the outer null point. Sometimes I get lucky, and it is perfectly aligned at that point. If it's not square, the cantilever will almost always be pointing towards the edge of the platter. If that's the case, I will start moving the cartridge backwards evenly a mm or so at a time, re-checking each time on the grid. Again, first get the stylus on the crosshair, and then check for alignment of the cantilever on the gird, looking at record level from the front with a pen light. I also shine the light from the back as well, and check the silhouette of the cantilever on the grid, with the light shining from the rear. Notice I'm looking for cantilever alignment, and not cartridge body alignment.

Anyway, once I get aligned on the outer grid, I of course move to the inner grid. Many times the inner grid is good-to-go, but if not, I only do very small tweaks at that point. The tweak might be a slight twist in the headshell, or further moving backwards. Make sure to check the outer grid again once the inner grid looks good. The inner grid is most important...if you have to choose between the two.

BTW, that is for Baerwald alignment, which is what that Lab-440 arm is set up for.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 02 Dec 2019 02:10

jdjohn wrote:
02 Dec 2019 01:43
I have found those OM Ortofons to be a pain as well.

Nowadays when I align a cartridge, I don't look from the top so much anymore. I do most of my 'viewing' from just above the surface of the record in front of the cartridge, looking straight down the chute of the cantilever/needle while shining a pen flashlight down the chute as well. To get the stylus on the crosshair, I line it up first looking from the front, and then from the side since the diamond is always slightly back from the tip, and often tilts a bit forward, so I try to make sure the actual tip is on the crosshair. This is more taxing on my knees and back than my eyes :)

I start with the cartridge all the way in the front of the headshell, squarely in the front of the headshell slots. I start with the outer null point. Sometimes I get lucky, and it is perfectly aligned at that point. If it's not square, the cantilever will almost always be pointing towards the edge of the platter. If that's the case, I will start moving the cartridge backwards evenly a mm or so at a time, re-checking each time on the grid. Again, first get the stylus on the crosshair, and then check for alignment of the cantilever on the gird, looking at record level from the front with a pen light. I also shine the light from the back as well, and check the silhouette of the cantilever on the grid, with the light shining from the rear. Notice I'm looking for cantilever alignment, and not cartridge body alignment.

Anyway, once I get aligned on the outer grid, I of course move to the inner grid. Many times the inner grid is good-to-go, but if not, I only do very small tweaks at that point. The tweak might be a slight twist in the headshell, or further moving backwards. Make sure to check the outer grid again once the inner grid looks good. The inner grid is most important...if you have to choose between the two.

BTW, that is for Baerwald alignment, which is what that Lab-440 arm is set up for.
Thank you for that information. The problem I have is that it's impossible to see the cantalever.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/E2sAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

To get to an angle low enough to see the cantalever, I'm too low to see the lines on the alignment protractor.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 02 Dec 2019 02:10

chgc wrote:
02 Dec 2019 01:35
I don’t know if this will help, but my 2 cents: first check that the cantilever is straight in the cartridge— in line with the cart body. You need to be able to see the tip of the stylus to get it on the cross hairs. If you can see the tip of the stylus, look from in front of the cart to determine if the tip is on the tangent line, and then look from the side to determine if the tip is on the radial line. Then just line up any part of the cartridge body that is parallel or perpendicular to the cantilever with the grid. A pencil lead would help here, but I’ve never found it necessary (but I don’t have any weird shaped carts). Or just get it in the ballpark and it will likely be fine. (Nice lookin' turntable, by the way.)
That's a great idea. I'll give that a try!