LP Gear AT95SA Shibata Stylus REVIEW

the thin end of the wedge
arcamguy

Re: LP Gear AT95SA Shibata Stylus REVIEW

Post by arcamguy » 01 Dec 2019 01:46

Thanks for your responses;
LP Gear says the SA cantilever is made out of something called Zualum, which they do not mention with the AT95E. I’m looking for a replacement cartridge for my Marantz 6300 while my Denon DL103r gets repaired/retipped at Soundsmith. Need something lower in compliance, and has been noted on these forums, the 6300 has a higher mass tonearm; unfortunately back in the day they never mentioned effective mass with a tonearm.

oztayls

Post by oztayls » 01 Dec 2019 03:52

Hi there, the compliance has nothing to do with the stylus itself. It is a result of the cantilever and its suspension. So unless the cantilever has been changed (unlikely), the compliance will be the same as what Audio Technica state. Usually the original diamond is removed and the upgraded profile is mounted in its place. Cheers

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 01 Dec 2019 21:09

As I said before, the AT95SA stylus sold by LPGear is not made by Audio-Technica. The diamond, cantilever, suspension, etc., are made by someone else (probably JICO but that remains unconfirmed). They do not take a stock Audio-Technica stylus and simply replace the diamond; they build an entirely new stylus assembly from scratch.

Having said that:

arcamguy, I think it will work just fine with your Marantz. It will be higher compliance than your DL-103R, but not so much higher that it will give you any problems.

oztayls

Post by oztayls » 01 Dec 2019 21:50

One has to wonder if LP Gear has been harbouring a secret, and why they didn’t publish complete specs for the SA. Some time ago the question of the zualum cantilever was widely discussed on various forums. No specs were ever posted by LPGear leading to the conclusion that Zualum was just a marketing ploy to have us gullible audiophiles thinking the cantilever was something new. It was all BS of course, and Jico used the same alloy cantilever and even reused the bonded mount. For the “bargain price” LP Gear had on offer for the SA, its hardly unlikely they have created a completely new cantilever and then reused the same bonded mount for the Shibata as for the elliptical stylus. To get the best possible performance from a Shibata, it would have to be a nude mount. Draw your own conclusions, but I didn’t buy the BS, nor the SA. I did get the P though, and it was really good and the real deal complete with a nude diamond.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 01 Dec 2019 21:56

oztayls wrote:
01 Dec 2019 21:50
To get the best possible performance from a Shibata, it would have to be a nude mount.
That's true, but it's also true of every other diamond shape: a nude spherical will perform better than a bonded spherical, a nude elliptical will perform better than a bonded elliptical, etc. If one is shopping at a certain price point — under $200, for example — a bonded Shibata or hyperelliptical is still compelling because it will [usually] outperform a bonded elliptical or even a nude elliptical.

oztayls

Post by oztayls » 01 Dec 2019 22:05

BMRR wrote:
01 Dec 2019 21:56
oztayls wrote:
01 Dec 2019 21:50
To get the best possible performance from a Shibata, it would have to be a nude mount.
That's true, but it's also true of every other diamond shape: a nude spherical will perform better than a bonded spherical, a nude elliptical will perform better than a bonded elliptical, etc. If one is shopping at a certain price point — under $200, for example — a bonded Shibata or hyperelliptical is still compelling because it will [usually] outperform a bonded elliptical or even a nude elliptical.
Of course. I am just a cynical old fart when it comes to hifi marketing BS.

Wimbo
Australia

Post by Wimbo » 02 Dec 2019 00:06

I used to own the AT33SA and it was extremely revealing but bright. Similar to my Stanton 881S with original mk2 stylus.
I must say though, I prefered the AT33PTG with Dmitrys diamond on it.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 02 Dec 2019 10:57

Wimbo wrote:
02 Dec 2019 00:06

I must say though, I prefered the AT33PTG with Dmitrys diamond on it.
:) some experiments are worthwhile.

arcamguy

Post by arcamguy » 03 Dec 2019 04:38

BMRR wrote:
01 Dec 2019 21:09
As I said before, the AT95SA stylus sold by LPGear is not made by Audio-Technica. The diamond, cantilever, suspension, etc., are made by someone else (probably JICO but that remains unconfirmed). They do not take a stock Audio-Technica stylus and simply replace the diamond; they build an entirely new stylus assembly from scratch.

Having said that:

arcamguy, I think it will work just fine with your Marantz. It will be higher compliance than your DL-103R, but not so much higher that it will give you any problems.
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.