Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

snap, crackle and pop
apastuszak
United States of America

Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by apastuszak » 12 Nov 2019 20:12

I work from home most of the time. Sitting right behind me is my Dual 1257 and I play records all day while I work.

Since I am working, I get calls on my cell phone at work and need to join conference calls.

When I get a call, I sometimes need to "pause" an album by raising the cueing lever or reject the record. Both of these controls are under the dust cover, so I have to raise the dust cover to use them.

Is there a model of turntable that has all controls, including a queuing button OUTSIDE the dust cover, and doesn't cost a fortune.

I COULD take the dust cover off, but I have 2 cats and I don't need one jumping on a spinning record or attacking it, so I prefer to leave the dust cover on/closed.

BillWojo
United States of America

Re: Turntable with all controls outside the dust cover

Post by BillWojo » 12 Nov 2019 20:47

Yamaha PX-3

BillWojo

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 12 Nov 2019 21:23

All the Technics linear trackers have controls outside the dustcover. I have a Technics SL-QX200, which is a Pmount table. There are a good number of Technics do as well, and are shown here: https://vintagetechnics.audio/turntables.php

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 12 Nov 2019 21:42

Someone near me is selling a Technics SL-Q5 for $165. Opinions?

paddypaws
England

Post by paddypaws » 12 Nov 2019 23:46

Technics sl-1600 or sl-1700 are top quality machines, direct drive with conventional tone arm and soft touch buttons on the outside front of the dust cover. Expect to replace the cueing belts (easy job).

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 13 Nov 2019 01:39

Many turntables have this feature, which is an advantage.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 13 Nov 2019 02:08

paddypaws wrote:
12 Nov 2019 23:46
Technics sl-1600 or sl-1700 are top quality machines, direct drive with conventional tone arm and soft touch buttons on the outside front of the dust cover. Expect to replace the cueing belts (easy job).
The 1600 MkII and 1700 MKII have the outside controls, the straight 1600 & 1700 are inside the cover.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 13 Nov 2019 15:52

apastuszak wrote:
12 Nov 2019 21:42
Great linear tracker with excellent specs (FWIW). In the case of this one, the cover MUST be down for operation since the tonearm is part of the top portion. These are nice and compact as well - almost like big portable CD player, which is what they were competing with. Sometimes they do require cleanup and deferred maintenance, depending on condition.

Also, there are several Realistic turntables with controls outside the dustcover. Don't discount these old Realistics, since they were made by other manufacturers and re-branded. I have a Lab-440 that was made by CEC, and it's a real gem.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 13 Nov 2019 17:14

Siemens RW-555 (1980-1981), but outside Europe practically impossible to find.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 13 Nov 2019 17:50

apastuszak wrote:
12 Nov 2019 20:12
I work from home most of the time. Sitting right behind me is my Dual 1257 and I play records all day while I work.

Since I am working, I get calls on my cell phone at work and need to join conference calls.

When I get a call, I sometimes need to "pause" an album by raising the cueing lever or reject the record. Both of these controls are under the dust cover, so I have to raise the dust cover to use them.

Is there a model of turntable that has all controls, including a queuing button OUTSIDE the dust cover, and doesn't cost a fortune.

I COULD take the dust cover off, but I have 2 cats and I don't need one jumping on a spinning record or attacking it, so I prefer to leave the dust cover on/closed.
How timely, have you been following this:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=114758

+1 on the Technics SL-Q5, do you have T4P / P-Mount cartridges :-k Make the owner / seller demo several sides of playback, if he hasn't performed maintenance on the Q5 and it starts skipping you can negotiate pri$ing :)

Quick pause ability with a simple press of a button outside the dust cover. IIANM, most all Technics linears (except SL-M3) have controls outside the dustcover especially since you have to lower the dustcover which contains the tonearm.

My working conditions are the same as yours, presently have a Sony PS-LX510 at arms reach with all controls accessible with the dust cover down. A quick press on the cue button and the music stops. A quick press on the button and the program will resume where I left off.

My recommendation on the "animals" topic still stand, if the cat jumps on the turntable, there'll be minimal disruption on music playback. Unfortunately, Max, is no longer with us..... :(

Good luck in your search, there are quite a few full automatic pivoting tonearm turntables with controls on the outside also though not as "shock proof" / animal friendly.

Fred
Last edited by fscl on 13 Nov 2019 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 13 Nov 2019 17:58

How about Sony ps-4300?
Even though the cueing lever is inside you can stop the table from outside.
PS-4300.jpg
(94.41 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

denvertrakker
United States of America

Post by denvertrakker » 13 Nov 2019 19:56

Kenwood KD-4100 or 5100 have controls outside the cover...if you can find one.

apastuszak
United States of America

Post by apastuszak » 14 Nov 2019 03:43

jdjohn wrote:
13 Nov 2019 15:52
apastuszak wrote:
12 Nov 2019 21:42
Great linear tracker with excellent specs (FWIW). In the case of this one, the cover MUST be down for operation since the tonearm is part of the top portion. These are nice and compact as well - almost like big portable CD player, which is what they were competing with. Sometimes they do require cleanup and deferred maintenance, depending on condition.

Also, there are several Realistic turntables with controls outside the dustcover. Don't discount these old Realistics, since they were made by other manufacturers and re-branded. I have a Lab-440 that was made by CEC, and it's a real gem.
The listing says it was recently services, and gives the name of the store that did it.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 14 Nov 2019 03:51

As member fscl mentioned, I would recommend that you require the seller to provide a thorough demonstration before purchase. These turntables are great...when they work correctly :D

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 14 Nov 2019 05:25

Most if not all readily available linear tracking TTs, JVC AL and BL series, Technics SL-2xx series, Q series in both....lots of possibilities. Not familiar with others, but have seen lots of similar offerings from other manufacturers. A matter of determining who's style you like and general availability. Usually most popular names through the early 80s, especially those with straight arms will have exterior mounted controls. TTs with wood plinths from earlier years will have top mounted controls inside the cover. Some broad generalizations, but perusing different brands in the library here will help narrow down the choices. Let the quest begin......good luck. :D