Annoyed by my local thrift store

anything and nothing
amagasakii
Canada

Annoyed by my local thrift store

Post by amagasakii » 08 Nov 2019 01:04

All the local Salvation Army thrift stores seem to operate independently. Different hours, some will haggle, all have different pricing policies.

The one nearest me happens to have the largest electronics section where this poor Noresco Dual 1010 has languished for about 4 months now, because they're asking a ridiculous $100. In that time, it's gone from being in relatively good condition to the state show in this photo. (I drop in about once a week.)

The cartridge and cartridge sled were the first to go. Dust cover was next, first cracked, then missing a large piece, then gone. Spindles were gone next, then the tone arm was bent, then broken and dangling by the tonearm wires, and now finally just ripped right off. The platter trim ring is still there, as are all the knobs, likely because they're held in place with set screws.

Very early on I overheard someone ask to speak with the pricer to make an offer, to which the pricer replied "it's already cheap, these go for hundreds on eBay". This really annoys me-- somebody donated this thing in good condition in good faith, and because a thrift store thinks eBay asking prices = market value, it's now worthless. At $50, I would've considered it, especially since I have a couple of $10 off coupons. At $40 I would've just bought the thing to clean up and pass on to someone. Eventually it'll just end up in the dump. And yes, it's still $100.
20191106_131422.jpg
(89.7 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

amagasakii
Canada

Re: Annoyed by my local thrift store

Post by amagasakii » 08 Nov 2019 01:10

See also this $70 Sony STR-VX2 that arrived at the same time, lost its volume and tuning knobs immediately, and is still $70. :roll:
20191106_131555.jpg
(101.07 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 08 Nov 2019 03:52

LOL. With prices like that no wonder they have a selection, nothing moves.

A 1010 is not a top of the line to start with. I have had a few of the Noresco amp/turntable combos and the amps are ok but I have yet to find one that did not need work. In our Sally Anns those would have gone in an auction, which ends up being more than I want to pay but at least the thrift gets a good $ and they do no get cannibilized on the shelf. Value village puts pretty high price tags on them but at least they are not out on the main floor but behind a counter where someone is.

I don't like seeing good donations mistreated.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 08 Nov 2019 09:53

The only words that come to mind are "The horror!" #-o

Yes I totally agree those people don't have a clue what they are doing and have let that turntable get destroyed in the process. Very sad to see that. :(

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 08 Nov 2019 13:01

Someone more informed than myself may see it differently, but I somehow don't think the Salvation Army's main goal is to sell anything.

They probably don't mind making sales as they help with the cost of running the stores but it's not the main reason.

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 08 Nov 2019 17:14

The Salvation Army stores both provide low cost goods to those in need and are a source of income to support their programs. In our area anything of decent value goes into an auction - audio, lego, collectibles, video game consoles, jewelery, good china, etc. and they do very nicely out of it. Pickers grumble because they cannot drop in and score great stuff for cheap but I can't blame them for getting smarter about things.

Dutchy

Post by Dutchy » 09 Nov 2019 15:37

Looks like that some punters look at stuff in the store, see a component they fancy and adhere to their "TICUAH" belief...

That
I
Can
Use
At
Home

:-(

amagasakii
Canada

Post by amagasakii » 11 Nov 2019 05:09

Update: Staff have finally put the Dual out of its misery. Pour out a little Renotac on the curb in its memory.
spensar wrote:
08 Nov 2019 03:52
LOL. With prices like that no wonder they have a selection, nothing moves.
It's only in the past year they've gone crazy with the pricing. This is the biggest Sally Ann in some fairly affluent 'burbs, so the quality of donations makes it worth going back "just in case". Their main clientèle is a mix of students, little old ladies, and new immigrants, so I'm not sure what their plan is.
spensar wrote:
A 1010 is not a top of the line to start with. I have had a few of the Noresco amp/turntable combos and the amps are ok but I have yet to find one that did not need work.
I like the industrial design of Noresco stuff, it feels like they really tried to compliment Dual's designs. It also has a real Philips feel.
spensar wrote:
In our Sally Anns those would have gone in an auction, which ends up being more than I want to pay but at least the thrift gets a good $ and they do no get cannibilized on the shelf. Value village puts pretty high price tags on them but at least they are not out on the main floor but behind a counter where someone is.
I'd have expected this thing to go to auction as well, I have no idea how it ended up on the floor. There's a Sherwood S-7100 receiver in there at the moment that's only up to $65. Our Value Village keeps the oddest selection of items behind the counter -- you want an accordion or a backgammon board or an original Xbox, it's behind the counter. You want a mint condition Yamaha turntable? It'll be underneath a stack of iHome speakers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
spensar wrote:
I don't like seeing good donations mistreated.
This is what irks me the most.
Tinkaroo wrote:
08 Nov 2019 09:53
Yes I totally agree those people don't have a clue what they are doing and have let that turntable get destroyed in the process. Very sad to see that. :(
Once in a while I think I should talk to one of them about these things, but I'm sure they don't need the additional hassle.
Dutchy wrote:
09 Nov 2019 15:37
Looks like that some punters look at stuff in the store, see a component they fancy and adhere to their "TICUAH" belief...

That
I
Can
Use
At
Home

:-(
I bet they adhere more to "TICFOE" or "That I Can Flog On Ebay"...

theclosetguy
United States of America

Post by theclosetguy » 17 Nov 2019 01:53

If you follow what's been going on you will find that the Goodwill and the Salvation army have decided that they are no longer in the wholesale business. For years, retailers have scoured the shelves, bought designer items for pennies and turned around and sold them for hundreds of dollars. So these 2 companies are now in the retail business when it comes to more premium items. They have retail websites now as well as e-bay stores. So when it comes to electronics someone will price check the web and then the going price is determined. Since the average customer at these establishments is shopping for the cheap, more expensive stuff sits and deteriorates. It makes finding the occasional gem more difficult.
There was a Thrift shop I used to go to for records, until you had to fight over the bins with zealot collectors. I actual got pushed aside once by an aggressive idiot. Also this shop used to be a treasure trove for designer clothing. That was until all the BMW and MB started to flood the parking lot.
Oh well

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Nov 2019 03:11

Ahem...$100 for that Dual? How about $150 for this Magnavox end-table thingy??? :-k

I shake my head at these thrift stores...I hope it gathers dust for that price as I've seen similar items on Craigslist for a fraction of that cost! :?

GuidoK

Post by GuidoK » 17 Nov 2019 04:21

I think there's hardly anything interesting to find at thriftstores anymore.
Most stuff there can be easily found online, usually for way less, and straight out of someones attic. That means less people have handled/mishandled it (the thriftstore people and visitors there).

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 17 Nov 2019 09:08

vinyl master wrote:
17 Nov 2019 03:11
Ahem...$100 for that Dual? How about $150 for this Magnavox end-table thingy??? :-k

I shake my head at these thrift stores...I hope it gathers dust for that price as I've seen similar items on Craigslist for a fraction of that cost! :?
Just another example to show that they don't have a clue about what the junk they are selling is worth in the real world! :shock:

I pity the fool dumb enough to pay anything close to that for it. Even at $15 it would be overpriced. #-o

amagasakii
Canada

Post by amagasakii » 18 Nov 2019 05:48

theclosetguy wrote:
17 Nov 2019 01:53
[...] For years, retailers have scoured the shelves, bought designer items for pennies and turned around and sold them for hundreds of dollars. So these 2 companies are now in the retail business when it comes to more premium items. They have retail websites now as well as e-bay stores. [...]
Canada's well behind the curve on this (and most online shopping experiences) compared to the US, UK and OZ. Shipping costs are prohibitive; my location on an island doesn't help (but also doesn't hurt, since it keeps the potential buying pool local). That said, I see this is how they're going. Our local Habitat for Humanity stores long ago started charging auction house prices for any Danish mid-century furniture that crosses their floor.
theclosetguy wrote:
17 Nov 2019 01:53
There was a Thrift shop I used to go to for records, until you had to fight over the bins with zealot collectors. I actual got pushed aside once by an aggressive idiot.
LOL! Something similar happened to me last week -- I wasn't flipping through the racks fast enough for one of the regulars, so he sighed loudly and said "Oh you're done now?" when I finally moved on to the next one.
vinyl master wrote:
17 Nov 2019 03:11
"Thingy" is very apt! I love-hate it. Maybe they're charging for "cost to rebuild"?
GuidoK wrote:
17 Nov 2019 04:21
I think there's hardly anything interesting to find at thriftstores anymore.
Most stuff there can be easily found online, usually for way less, and straight out of someones attic. That means less people have handled/mishandled it (the thriftstore people and visitors there).
Unfortunately most people here seem to check eBay before they post an ad, so you end up with "Vintage Sanyo record player great condition needs needle $150" ads that don't even have a picture.

Once in a while you get a gem, but it's pretty rare now!