DUAL 510 or Thorens TD 280 MK II?

twice the fun
s-and
Georgia

DUAL 510 or Thorens TD 280 MK II?

Post by s-and » 23 Sep 2019 20:34

I have an cartridge AT-VM95SH and a DUAL 510 with Dual TK24 (already bought but not delivered yet). Does it make sense to buy a Thorens TD 280 MK II (there is a good price). Will it be better for this cartridge than the DUAL 510?
Looking forward to any responses.
unnamed (3).jpg
(96.69 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
s-l500.jpg
(24.76 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
s-l500 (1).jpg
(17.31 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Re: DUAL 510 or Thorens TD 280 MK II?

Post by lini » 26 Sep 2019 06:45

Oh, well, I'd rate the Dual tonearm higher, while I'd rate the Thorens drive higher - in terms of performance, that is. However, the motor of the Thorens isn't really servicable - and it also contains quite a good bit more electronics, that may cause trouble over time. And the Dual also wins in terms of features.

Effective arm mass is pretty similar, so that wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of sutability for the VM95SH.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 26 Sep 2019 07:53

I haven't heard the Dual 510 but the TD280 Mk II was my first turntable, I replaced it a couple of years ago with a new TD203. But the TD280 still has a place in my heart. Very musical sound.

s-and
Georgia

Post by s-and » 27 Sep 2019 19:08

The sad news is with my dual 510, which I bought on ebay. Today he came with a broken cover, a broken balance gewicht mount, a broken needle and a non-working strobe. :(

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 27 Sep 2019 20:12

Can you get a refund or claim on the couriers?

I bought my 601 from Germany to be sent to the UK and I asked politely if the seller could pack carefully for fear of damage. He did a fantastic job, packing the belt, counterweight and cartridge separately in a little box with individual packing, the platter and lid were separated in the large outer box and the deck itself clamped up properly and well wrapped in layers of bubble-wrap. The Dual dust covers I've bought have all been well packed fortunately.

Buying used gear like this is fraught with danger I admit as people flogging these often haven't a clue. That's why I'm asking future readers to ask the seller to over-pack if anything. Still no guarantee if the box is kicked around in transit, but it can help.

Sound quality wise, we had the TD320 and I think, the 280 which was a cheaper model? Little platter torque I seem to remember (so dynamic wow was a possibility) and we didn't like the sound quality I remember. maybe some modern tweaks to mat and isolation may improve things.

I have to say it and maybe nobody will agree, a Rega Planar 1 is cheap and sooo good. for an elliptical stylus, add the Thakker EPO E stylus which uses the same body - my 'E' stylus has a superb elliptical diamond fitted, despite the lower price. Play with lid off and take care with siting and I think you'd be surprised how capable the sound is.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 06 Oct 2019 22:51

Not exclusively, but I’ve owned Dual’s since 1968. I only lived with a 510 briefly but recall an online comment of it being one of the better Duals. It is a good utilitarian turntable that would likely satisfy 90 plus percent of anyone’s needs or wants.

Thorens gets lots of accolades but in my experience, they are more demanding to live with. FWIW, I own a TD124 but it sees nowhere near the use that my others do. If I were to engage in a listening session, I might “pre-trip” the Thorens in preparation but usually, it’s just stick a record on (or two, or three - I like changers) and go about my business.

A Dual 510 should be more accessible/affordable than a Thorens and would be exempt from the Thorens Tax.

Can’t say I dislike Thorens, except those with suspended platters & arms but I don’t think they’re good value at their entry level.

I suppose it depends on the objective. Being satisfied with a record playback system or wishing a platform that becomes a money pit with upgrades and improvements that most would not likely even detect.