Advice For A Beginner

anything and nothing
jtolanriley
United States of America

Advice For A Beginner

Post by jtolanriley » 16 Sep 2019 16:21

I recently inherited a Yamaha TT500U (turntable) from a family member. I have just recently assembled my first audio setup. I have the mentioned turntable, a receiver with built in pre-amp to my knowledge (Sony STR-DA3200ES), and two Sony bookshelf speakers.

First, what all should I learn about turntables and vinyls that every beginner should know?

Second, I am having an issue with my turntable only producing one channel of audio. I have troubleshooted every piece of my equipment and have determined that it is only the turntable that is producing the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: Advice For A Beginner

Post by circularvibes » 16 Sep 2019 16:46

First, advice on your turntable lacking sound on one channel. Wiggle the plugs to see if they are intermittent. If so, replace. Then check to see if all four wires are on the cartridge and attched to headshell too. Try reseating your stylus. If those don't work, let us know and we can go deeper into the topic. As to what you should know, there are literally thousands of threads here on VE, be creepy and check a bunch out and come back at us with more specific questions. Vinyl Master has posted links to informative Youtube videos on a bunch of threads. You can go lightly or be caught in the eternal hole of upgraditis. There are literally all types of music and gear lovers on this forum and we all have opinions. Many have been posted from cleaning records to what cartridge and stylus to use and platter mat types, stylus shapes, mono versus stereo, direct drive versus belt versus idler, etc. Lots to read and get learned or very confused with. Most of all, enjoy the music! Welcome to VE and come back often please.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Advice For A Beginner

Post by Alec124c41 » 17 Sep 2019 13:40

Welcome.
Switch the right and left plugs on the back of the receiver. If the silent channel switches sides, the problem is not inside the receiver, which is possible.
The RCA plugs should be tight on the connectors. If they fit easily, pinch the skirts to make them tight, to make good contact.
Take the headshell off, and wipe the contacts with the eraser on a pencil.
Let us know if any of this works or not.

Cheers,
Alec