the home of the turntable

DP 60 L tonearm replacement/upgrade

deeply dp

DP 60 L tonearm replacement/upgrade

Postby jvsantosmd » 12 Oct 2017 23:22

I sent my Denon DP 60L for a checkup and while in transit the tonearm was bent. The technician informed me it is not fixable. The intended checkup was done, I'm now stuck in trying to find a replacement tonearm. I have read that the DA 401 will fit. Any recommendations, suggestions, ideas ?? [-o< [-o<
jvsantosmd

United States of America

Re: DP 60 L tonearm replacement/upgrade

Postby sivagriva » 13 Oct 2017 09:50

Denon DP 60L has a replaceable/interchangeable arm tubes, what exactly on tonearm is broken? Can you post some pictures of damage?
sivagriva

Slovenia

Postby jvsantosmd » 13 Oct 2017 13:46

Hello and thanks for your reply: The base for the weight behind the tonearm support broke off during transit: the shipper did not remove the weight during packaging. The arm from the joint to the headshell is good.
jvsantosmd

United States of America

Postby sivagriva » 13 Oct 2017 16:36

Well, if you still have those broken parts, it can be repaired. Take a look here and here
sivagriva

Slovenia

Postby jvsantosmd » 13 Oct 2017 22:35

Thanks ! The 1st site shown a nearly identical break to the one my tonearm suffered. Please forgive my computer illiteracy: how do I translate to English or how do I contact them to send my tonearm?
Not to want to reinvent the wheel: if I have to take the tonearm out for repair, are there upgrade tonearms that may be better than the one on the DP 60L? I couldn't even find a model number on the unit.
jvsantosmd

United States of America

Postby sivagriva » 14 Oct 2017 01:28

Ouch, sorry, on my macbook with chrome browser translate automatically, otherwise right click-translate to english (in Google Chrome). Don't know how with other browsers.
I would first ask them for rubber parts, alternatively for repair...As per replacement tonearm, with any other you will lost lift up/shut off function. You can mount almost any tonearm, but those from Denon DP60M and DP70 seems to fit almost without modification.
sivagriva

Slovenia

Postby jvsantosmd » 14 Oct 2017 14:26

I bought a DP 70 tonearm and had it shipped to the repair technicians. After looking at it and going over all the connections they stated it would not be possible. Even the seller had warned me about this, (hardheaded I guess...) There is one article that mention DP 60L with the DA 401 tonearm but I haven't found any clear definitive article that states YES it will fit.
jvsantosmd

United States of America

Postby sivagriva » 15 Oct 2017 10:07

with any other you will lost lift up/shut off function

but those from Denon DP60M and DP70 seems to fit almost without modification

I meant to say that will fit physically onto existing cutouts/drillings , obviously for manual operations only.
sivagriva

Slovenia

Postby jvsantosmd » 15 Oct 2017 17:12

Hi; Sent our Japanese friends a txt message: I was able to translate theirs, hope they can take in my tonearm and fix it, even requested to have them do a complete overhaul on the rest of the unit. The questions still remains: the Denon DP 60L tonearm doesn't even have a model number. Are there Denon tonearms that may be retrofitted to help/increase performance? Is the DP 60L arm as good as the rest of the Denon lineup?
jvsantosmd

United States of America

Postby EdAInWestOC » 16 Oct 2017 05:40

I have a DP-62L and I removed the stock tonearm and installed a hotrodded Rega RB-300. Its possible to do the same with your DP-60L. If you are going to replace the stock tonearm why not choose something better?
EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby jvsantosmd » 17 Oct 2017 14:20

Thanks for your reply. I bought a Denon DP 70 tonearm and sent it to the repair shop. The pro shop stated that the electronics for the auto arm lift (no return) are complicated and that they couldn't even see possible to install the DP 70 tonearm. I even asked about the DA 401 tonearm. Would like to stay with Denon brand tonearms. If you were to Xchange route,I have a brand new never used Technics EPA B500 still on its original packaging (2 boxes). Suggestions ?
jvsantosmd

United States of America

Postby EdAInWestOC » 25 Oct 2017 16:05

jvsantosmd wrote:Thanks for your reply. I bought a Denon DP 70 tonearm and sent it to the repair shop. The pro shop stated that the electronics for the auto arm lift (no return) are complicated and that they couldn't even see possible to install the DP 70 tonearm. I even asked about the DA 401 tonearm. Would like to stay with Denon brand tonearms. If you were to Xchange route,I have a brand new never used Technics EPA B500 still on its original packaging (2 boxes). Suggestions ?

By far (and I mean a large margin) the EPA500 is a superior tonearm to anything Denon made. The EPA 500 tonearm is one of the best tonearms ever made and I wouldn't look any farther than what you have for a replacement tonearm.

You won't get the Denon automatic lift with the EPA 500 but there are several end of LP tonearm lift devices on the market to choose from. I would mount the EPA 500 on your turntable and enjoy one of the great tonearms ever made.

Really, I am not exaggerating. The Technics EPA 500 is a gem.

Ed
EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby jvsantosmd » 02 Nov 2017 20:15

Message taken: turntable on its way to repair shop with Technics base and tonearm. I also happened to find my barely used (under 10 hrs) Blue Oyster (Sumiko?) MC cartridge. Nice when you have a deep chest full of stuff you thought had no use for.
jvsantosmd

United States of America

Postby sivagriva » 03 Nov 2017 11:13

Did you get any reply from Japanese repair shop?
sivagriva

Slovenia

Postby xevman » 13 Nov 2017 00:54

If I was in your shoes i'd try and find the original tone arm at a reasonable price and replace it with that its the easiest thing to do as its a direct fit and believe me its not a bad arm by any means and personally I'd keep the DP60L in its factory state. I personally have a DP60L with the factory tonearm and to my ears it sounds as good or better than my Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB (9CC Evo tonearm) with the same cartridge.
xevman

Australia

Next

Return to Denon