the home of the turntable

Denon DP-59L has a bent counterweight shaft

deeply dp

Denon DP-59L has a bent counterweight shaft

Postby tonefoto » 09 Sep 2017 05:39

I have a bent counterweight shaft on my DP59L. Looks like the lock screw is in a place that necessitates removing the arm, its on the bottom where I can't get at it. The photo of the shaft was shot with the table upside down. I hope its not a beast getting the arm up enough to remove the screw. Anybody done this repair?
Attachments
photo.JPG
tonefoto

United States of America

Re: Denon DP-59L has a bent counterweight shaft

Postby captmark » 10 Sep 2017 15:14

You must completely remove the arm from the table-this was not one of Denon's shining moments in design. Although you can loosen it you can not get it to pull all the way out-it goes completely through the tube but does NOT attach to the other end, which would be the top since the screw goes in from underneath. Because of that it bends slightly from being transported with the sprung weight of the counterweight on them. I vent about it all the time in my auctions when I sell them-it is a 1.5-2 hour job for me, and I've done 50+ of them. You must unsolder all the servo and audio wires, pull the servo coils, etc. Depending on when/where it was made (there are two different internal designs of the 59L), one will require you remove the Q-damping and anti-skate controls from their mounts. It can all be done with a solder iron, Philips screwdriver, allen wrench (and a Sharpie), but take pictures as every bushing and screw must go back in the same spots facing the same way. It will go back together wrong, but you won't know it's wrong till it's all back together. While you're there lube all the bearings top and bottom, regrease the VTA tube and retighten the set screws.
captmark

United States of America

Re: Denon DP-59L has a bent counterweight shaft

Postby tonefoto » 13 Sep 2017 05:52

I pulled the arm out today and found it was merely a matter of turning the shaft screw to bring the shaft back into conformity with the arm. I don't understand why there's a detent on the VTA dial. I assume its for a zero setting but I'm not sure. In any case I did have a snag getting the arm assembly removed, pulled the servo out and broke a stator wire off the coil with the thinnest wire, bummer. Do you have any spare parts such as this coil board for the servo, I think its for the Q damping but not sure either. If you could help with this I would be very appreciative and of course would be willing to pay for any parts.
best,
Anthony
tonefoto

United States of America

Return to Denon