the home of the turntable

Is my Denon DP-51f toast?

deeply dp

Is my Denon DP-51f toast?

Postby thoutah » 19 Jul 2017 17:52

So, for the past 15 years or so, my main turntable has been a Denon DP-51f, which has performed flawlessly until this week, when it began doing just about the worst thing a turntable can do to one's LPs.

Last night while listening to a record, about midway through the side, the needle abruptly started skating outward over the grooves. Naturally, I leaped off the sofa, bolted across the room, and lifted the tonearm. I attempted to set the needle down at the beginning of a track, but it started skating outward again. I put the tonearm back in its rest, but I noticed that it was hovering over the rest, rather than sitting in it.

That seems to indicate that the tracking force just stopped working. I pressed the lift button twice to raise and lower the arm, and that re-engaged the weight, and the arm then sat in its rest. So, it seems okay for now, but who knows when this could happen again?

So, I've seen threads here with people who seem to be fairly knowledgeable about these Denons. Does this sound repairable? Or is it time to move on?

Unfortunately, my trusted local audio shop doesn't do repairs anymore (they only fix the used stuff that they sell), so I'm not even sure where I'd take this thing. But more importantly, my understanding is that the inner workings of these Denons are fairly complex (sensors and whatnot), and they could be tricky to repair, and parts could be difficult to find.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice on this!
thoutah

Return to Denon