the home of the turntable

odd tracking? tonearm force? problem with DP 52F

deeply dp

odd tracking? tonearm force? problem with DP 52F

Postby jimf42 » 21 Dec 2016 05:49

On my DP 52F ...about every other or every third record, at some point, the tonearm appears to to go to zero tracking force and skate lightly over the record, then after a few seconds, it returns to the starting point on the tonearm holder. After that happens, I can play it again and it will not do it again for a while.

any thoughts?

thanks

jim
jimf42

United States of America

Re: odd tracking? tonearm force? problem with DP 52F

Postby Guest » 21 Dec 2016 05:59

Those Denon tonearms are electonically controlled, of course you know this.
That being the case, it's giving you a hint that it's in need of service by an experienced professional, who knows these arms/electronics.
No, even as an experienced servicer, I cannot diagnose something of that magnitude unless it's on my bench.
The complexity requires hands-on, sorry, not over the internet.

Postby jimf42 » 21 Dec 2016 14:00

Ok..thanks. Just wondering if someone had seen this before. I hesitate to send to Denon.
jimf42

United States of America

Postby Guest » 21 Dec 2016 19:01

jimf42 wrote:Ok..thanks. Just wondering if someone had seen this before. I hesitate to send to Denon.

Contacting Denon is a waste - better to track down/google a local servicer.
Most of these audio companies don't want to deal with their obsolete products.

Postby jimf42 » 21 Dec 2016 22:03

Thanks...that is sort of what I was thinking. I pulled the damping and tracking knobs, sprayed a lot of contact cleaner while turning them...let dry thoroughly. I think it helped. We will see.
jimf42

United States of America

Postby Guest » 22 Dec 2016 03:48

jimf42 wrote:Thanks...that is sort of what I was thinking. I pulled the damping and tracking knobs, sprayed a lot of contact cleaner while turning them...let dry thoroughly. I think it helped. We will see.

Contact cleaaner only works if it's applied INTO a potentiometer, not through a hole that the knob shaft protrudes from.
Again, repeating, an experienced tech is needed.
Messing around with the super critical guts underneath is foolish.

Postby Kajtsu » 22 Dec 2016 07:30

Hi jimf42,

I have had same problem with my DP52F. Nothing helped. I sprayed the pots with deox but same problem. Arm loses needle weight. I did not open player. Maybe there is some condenser that needs to be changed. Arm also started to stuck in the same place :( .
It worked OK about 20 years and was very good player.

regards
Kajtsu
Kajtsu

Finland

Postby Guest » 22 Dec 2016 08:18

The Dynamic Servo Tracer tonearm used in those turntables is highly dependant on it's electronics to function properly.
Highly complex also - and requiring "calibration" by experienced technicians along with the testing equipment needed, in order to operate without issues.
I cannot stress the importance of this calibration procedure if servicing is done for faulty components.

Postby jimf42 » 22 Dec 2016 15:15

Ok...I sure hope I do not need that kind of service. Interesting that you had the same problem Kajtsu...I hope my spraying the pots from the top side and just using it more helps...if not, I may have to try to find a service tech.
jimf42

United States of America

Postby EdAInWestOC » 28 Dec 2016 15:05

Guys,
Its almost certain that the turntable requires a total recapping. All of the electrolytics are old and out of spec. This will display a variety of symptoms including problems with the tonearm.

Until you recap the turntable, you will not have any idea if something more needs to be repaired. If you continue to use a 20+ year old turntable you will eventually burn out something that is very hard to find a replacement for.

Denon used, what are now, very hard to find controller chips (ASICs, microprocessors, etc) in their design. If you burn these up due to shorted/open electrolytic caps, you will have to throw away your turntables.

I'm not saying this because I dislike Denon turntables. I have owned one since 1983. I took excellent care of the table and in 2010 it requires a complete recap job. There isn't an "if', "and" or "but" that will change anything. If you want to have a vintage Denon turntable, that is a reliable turntable, you have to invest in a total recap of the electronics.

Seeking out and replacing a cap here or there is a waste of time. You will just get another problem in a short amount of time. If you are handy with a soldering iron its not hard to do. If you are not, any qualified technician can do the job for you.

My old Denon is a DP-62L. The total amount of caps was somewhere around 40 (I can't remember, it was 2010). The total parts cost was less than $40 USD. If you can do the soldering, there isn't much of an argument to not do the job.

If you do not do the recapping job, there isn't much reason to complain around here.

It won't Help or change the reason why your turntable is not working.

Ed

PS. Since my old DP-62L has been recapped it is back to being rock solid dependable. It will likely outlive me.
EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby jimf42 » 28 Dec 2016 15:49

Thank you...that is very helpful. I agree re preventative maint...and since I have not had to do anything to it since I purchased it 30+ yrs ago...the cost is minimal.
jimf42

United States of America

Postby captmark » 30 Dec 2016 11:13

First off- do you know what your VTF really is? I've heard no mention of having a separate stylus gauge. If you don't have one spend the $12 on Amazone now and get one. You can not trust the Denon reading even if you have balanced the arm and all per the manual unless you've done a recent recap and reset VR3. In fact one of the leading indicators of needing a recap is VR settings going out of spec. Get the gauge and per the attached pic rebalance the arm and set the VTF in the space between the platter and arm rest, not on the platter itself- the thickness of the gauge keeps the arm from being parallel for the reading, and the Denons are way off on readings when near the top of the vertical arm travel as the Q-damping and height settings can effect them. Set the VTF to the actual spec for your cart, not what the dial says. Put the gauge on something to simulate the same parallel height as the platter (I use a small plastic container lid).

If you find that your VTF dial closely matches your actual VTF and are still having this problem there is a way to trick the arm to stay a bit more stable, but this is space-saver spare tire territory-get the recap ASAP. If your VTF dial is way off and getting to the proper weight fixed this problem (leave the table on for a couple hours, play a few records and check the VTF periodically to see if it drifts) you can just leave it this way, or get in there and readjust the VR to be more accurate, but-again-no point lining up the suspension to worn tires-plano on the recap.
Attachments
DP-52f-#130175-(1)e.jpg
captmark

United States of America

Postby jimf42 » 30 Dec 2016 14:50

I am planning on the recap...will call the tech on Saturday. I know the tracking force is way off, because it suddenly goes to zero... but since I wrote the post, i pulled off the adjustment knobs, sprayed contact cleaner in from the top while moving the shafts and it has not reappeared with the last 10 albums...still going to get a recap...since I have not serviced since new in 1984. interestingly enough, I now recall that when I bought it, I had a problem with the speed control going crazy for no reason. That was fixed under warranty....that is not a problem now. Good suggestion to buy a VTF gauge
jimf42

United States of America

Postby lenjack » 23 Jan 2018 23:12

Same problem. I've turned the tracking AND damping down to zero, and just use the counterweight for tracking force using my Shure gauge. The stabilizer brush on my Shure m97Xe supplies antiskate. It works, as it tracks the original Telarc 1812 at 1.25g easily.
lenjack

United States of America

Postby letate » 06 Feb 2018 22:09

This particular problem can be related to the tonearm pot adjustments inside. To properly fix you will need to use Deoxit, turn the pots quite a bit to work it in, and a then use a multi-meter to reset to spec as specified in the service manual available on this site. A recap should not be needed, capacitors from the late 70's and 80's are reliable - not like the caps from the early 60's and before. Try this and if it works, leave as is. If it does not work, do proper electronic troubleshoot, find the root cause and repair.
letate

United States of America

Next

Return to Denon