the home of the turntable

Denon DP-300F New turntable spins to fast 1.6.14

deeply dp

Denon DP-300F New turntable spins to fast 1.6.14

Postby Kstyles2001 » 07 Jan 2014 00:12

This is my 1st posting on Vinylengine.com. My new Denon DP-300f turntable rotates slightly to fast. I used the downloadable strobe disk and used it on my old 1990's Technics and my New Denon. I have a video of the strobe disk on the Denon showing the fast rotation on the new Denon DP-300F. Both videos are shown below. The 1990's technics was perfect! while the new Denon is fast.

I also played a LP and a CD of the exact same album, started them at the exact same time. When the 1st side of the LP was done (5 Songs) the CD was behind by about 25 seconds. The sound quality seems slightly rushed and high pitched, however this is slight and I am impressed I could even hear this, but I did.

Here is my Question? Is there anyway to turn down the speed? will the belt break in an eventually correct? Can a guy give the belt a light stretch? (PROB NOT A GOOD IDEA?) Has anyone had this problem before.
Last edited by Kstyles2001 on 07 Jan 2014 00:36, edited 2 times in total.
Kstyles2001

United States of America

Re: Denon DP-300F New turntable spins to fast 1.6.14

Postby Kstyles2001 » 07 Jan 2014 00:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcxUuWYm ... e=youtu.be

Here is the video of the Strobe - showing the lines are not stationary but moving. This is my new DENON DP-300F Turntable
Kstyles2001

United States of America

Postby Kstyles2001 » 07 Jan 2014 00:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQb9ijF ... e=youtu.be

Here is the video of the Strobe - showing the lines Are Stationary and not moving. This is my old 1990's Technics turntable.
Kstyles2001

United States of America

Postby JaS » 07 Jan 2014 09:30

Hi,
You're in luck. The DP-300F uses a DC motor so it's possible to fine tune by adjusting the voltage for each speed. If you check the service manual in the library it shows how to do it.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/denon/dp-300f.shtml

Regards,
JaS
JaS
engine room
engine room

England

Postby majick47 » 09 Jan 2014 21:34

If it's still under warranty/return period I'd send it back for a refund. The "new" Denons aren't made in Japan as in days gone by and lack the quality/performance.
majick47

Postby Jonnycrackcorn123 » 15 Jan 2014 03:47

This is my first post... Thanks so much for this thread...

I was able to use the downloadable strobe disk and adjust the speed, which wasn't terrible, but it was off. Happy with knowing it's correct now. Again, many thanks.

Best,

Jon
Jonnycrackcorn123

United States of America

Postby Kstyles2001 » 15 Jan 2014 04:34

Jonnycrackcorn123,

I have this problems as you know - I started the post. JaS ~ told us we can adjust this - and I haven't had time to do this, but I will soon per his post - Do you also have a Denon DP-300F ?
If so was the changing of the speed easy? Difficult? anything I need to know.
Kstyles2001

United States of America

Postby Kstyles2001 » 24 Jan 2014 03:32

I see there are two really small holes under the turntable. It's hard to figure this out and not any clear instructions with the manual. So, I went to a repair place today in Denver - they used a small thin tool/ screwdriver - flat head - and stuck it in the small 33 hole - and rotated - left and right. I guess there is a small screw in there that turns and thus adjusts the speed. I used the strobe disk and we turned untill it was perfect speed. Then I drive home, hooked it up and it is still the correct speed. My denon works.
Kstyles2001

United States of America

Postby SBosze » 24 Feb 2014 14:41

You'll need a small, fine flat head screwdriver to accomplish this. There are two holes labeled on the bottom of the Denon plastic plinth by the front left foot, one for 33 1/3 the other for 45. There are also two rubber bushings on the outside of motor body. You'll need to insert the screwdriver into the relevant bushing and fish for the adjustment screw. Once found, very minor adjustments will need to be made to adjust for the correct speed. If you elevate the turntable it will be easier to accomplish this task. Adjust for 33 first, then 45. Then check your 33 speed again.
This turntable can actually sound good with the proper adjustments. Use a scale to adjust for stylus pressure, check the length of the stylus in the cartridge (45mm from bushing to stylus) and by all means, upgrade the cartridge. I started with a Sumiko Pearl but found something missing with this cartridge. This TT sounds great with a Denon DL110 HOMC. I'm actually using a vintage ADC PSX-40 now and I'm very happy with the results. I use this in tandem with my Denon DP-62L, and although not as quiet or refined, is an acceptable "little brother".
SBosze

United States of America

Postby Vindicator2001 » 12 Dec 2014 20:57

I bought this turntable recently and had this problem so I'm glad I stumbled upon this post (and thanks for all the info to everyone who contributed). The turntable spins at a slightly fast speed (I timed 104 revolutions at 3 minutes as opposed to the 100 it should be) as well as used the strobe disk. Problem is when I made the adjustments with the screwdriver it didn't matter what direction I turned it in, it would always spin faster, so I have no idea how to slow it down. Other problem (though in the end this was a good thing considering the latter problem) it would always return to the same speed after I pulled out the screwdriver. It simply couldn't lock the speed I adjusted it to. So I still don't know how to get it to the correct speed. Is there something I'm overlooking?
Vindicator2001

Canada

Postby rgodshalk » 13 Feb 2015 06:44

I know this is an old thread.... I had just got this turntable and suspected it of spinning slow... I used an app on my iPhone and found it to be .07% slow... Thanks to the service manual I was able to locate the adjustment pots.... And now it's dead on 33.34 0.0% fast according to the app.
rgodshalk

United States of America

Postby SBosze » 10 Mar 2015 23:03

Vindicator,
The adjustments on this motor can be a bit persnickety. The first challenge is finding the screw as it is depressed into that hole in the housing. Gently seat the screwdriver (again use a very small head) and make the adjustment slowly. It might help to elevate the table so you can see the strobe and make your adjustments while it horizontal. I remember it taking me some time and patience before getting it right. Keep trying and let us know how you make out.
SBosze

United States of America

Postby jdryyz » 30 Nov 2016 19:23

I believe I have discovered that my DP-300F is running a bit fast also. I have recently been capturing audio from vinyl and the digital recordings are all coming up short compared to their CD counterparts. I am glad I did this because I have kind of sensed that something was a bit off with the turntable but could not put my finger on it.

I downloaded the 60Hz 33 1/3 / 45 rpm strobe disc and printed it on premium non-glossy inkjet paper. The image looks well-defined. However, the hole I made is not perfect but it is mostly centered when rotating (just a slight wobble).

I am not seeing the correct pattern when tested (it's a blur) so I'm not sure I have the correct light source. The only two I have available at the moment is the LED-based "flashlight" app from my cell phone and an old Mag-Lite flashlight that uses an incandescent bulb (see attached).

Can anyone recommend something off-the-shelf that I can find at my local hardware store? I wouldn't be able to go the DIY route on this part.

Thanks.
Attachments
lamp.jpg
maglite.jpg
jdryyz

United States of America

Postby jdryyz » 02 Dec 2016 01:36

Disregard my post above about the light source. I am now using "Strobily" with the help of my wife's smart phone. Initial tests indicate it should work for me.

But, about these adjustment screws. So, you're saying there is something blocking the actual screw heads but it can be penetrated by a screwdriver? Is that the two black areas I am seeing in the attached photo?
adjust.jpg

It might help to know what type of screw head it is before I start fishing. Philips or flat? Is there an actual bit size you can provide also? I have a small Husky brand driver with four bits.
IMAG00857.jpg

SBosze wrote:You'll need a small, fine flat head screwdriver to accomplish this. There are two holes labeled on the bottom of the Denon plastic plinth by the front left foot, one for 33 1/3 the other for 45. There are also two rubber bushings on the outside of motor body. You'll need to insert the screwdriver into the relevant bushing and fish for the adjustment screw. Once found, very minor adjustments will need to be made to adjust for the correct speed. If you elevate the turntable it will be easier to accomplish this task. Adjust for 33 first, then 45. Then check your 33 speed again.
This turntable can actually sound good with the proper adjustments. Use a scale to adjust for stylus pressure, check the length of the stylus in the cartridge (45mm from bushing to stylus) and by all means, upgrade the cartridge. I started with a Sumiko Pearl but found something missing with this cartridge. This TT sounds great with a Denon DL110 HOMC. I'm actually using a vintage ADC PSX-40 now and I'm very happy with the results. I use this in tandem with my Denon DP-62L, and although not as quiet or refined, is an acceptable "little brother".
jdryyz

United States of America

Postby SBosze » 02 Dec 2016 02:19

Flat head screw driver. You can just push it through the hole. That screw driver should work, but as I mentioned in my post, you'll have to fish around a bit until you find the slot in the screw.
SBosze

United States of America

Next

Return to Denon