Denon DP-A100

deeply dp
EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Gave Her A Spin...

Post by EdAInWestOC » 03 Nov 2010 13:29

kabf1cox wrote:I had the chance to set up my DP-A100 last night and gave it a whirl. Overall I liked what I heard, but I would have to agree with earlier comments that the cartridge is probably a reworked 103R...a little bright. But generally a good sounding device with a very smooth and robust mid and bass range. I'll probably give my Audio Technica AT33EV a go over the weekend and see how that plays. Overall that is still my favorite sounding cartridge (I know, the tweaks are cringing), but to my ear, and until I spring for an Ortofon Rondo Bronze, it sounds very balanced.

As for the turntable...I love it! OK, it's no AVID or Oracle, but it is one gorgeous piece and the finish is first rate. The arm is probably not going to apeaze the real high enders out there, but it seems to hold it's own and the sound from my MSFL 1/2 speed mastered version of Alan Parson's I Robot sounded just fine. Perhaps not a critical listener's most desirable record for analystics, but nevertheless one that I am both fond of and very familiar with. It certainly knocks the socks off the MSFL CD version of the same recording when played through this set up.

All-in-all there are certainly better "values" out there when you consider it's $2500 price tag, but you won't find a better combination of both beauty and performance...of course beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I guess I am still a junky for those late 1970's to early 1980's era Japanese decks...big heavy wood cabinets and design queues that can't be rivaled. Too bad it's not cost effective for the big Japanese companies (what's left of them) to have continued in this product niche. But at least we'll have the DP-A100 to tied us over for a little while.

Oh, and yes, MADE IN CHINA. Give it up for low cost manufacturing markets. UGH!

On a scale of 1-10...she's a definite 8 1/2 in my book!
If the cartridge sounds bright that could be an indication that you have the loading resistance set too high. If it is a take off on the DL-103R or DL-103 try 100 ohms as the starting point for the loading. Depending on whether you are using a stepup trannie or active headamp...of course.

Note: The DL-103R has an internal impedance of 14 ohms and the DL-103 has an internal impedance of 40 ohms. According to the specs I could find for the DL-A100 it has an impedance of 40 ohms.

Ed

formula1

DP-A100 Still Sounding Good

Post by formula1 » 04 Nov 2010 03:45

kabf1cox here...forgot I had an account here for awhile so I am back under my original account name. Anyway, appreciate the feedback gang.

Also, appreciate the tips on the cartridge set-up Ed!. I am currently using a Music Hall PA 1.2 which states a MC input impedance of 100ohms/120pF. Unfortunately it's fixed, not adjustable. I am running this into the AUX Input of my Marantz AV8003 AV Pre Tuner unit.

All-in-all I'm warming up to the sound, but I am curious to see how my AT33EV will stand up to it. It sounds pretty respectable with my DP-500M so I am not expecting too big a difference given the similarities in the two decks.

We'll see how it goes. But so far am enjoying the new 'table and not regretting the purchase...at least not yet. I recon I'll get bored in a year or two though. Then I'll spring for one of those really expensive, over-the-top, ultra-mega British beasts! Maybe an AVID?
:roll:

ksoholm

Post by ksoholm » 05 Nov 2010 15:46

It has the Chinese DJ turntable inside, awful non-replaceable bearing and strange tone arm. A standard SL-1200 might well outperform it?

Regards

Dave
Hi Dave,

Sorry, old thread etc., but how do you know this? Have you had one apart already? It sounds most disappointing...

Could you share the photos of the internals you have?

Thanks,

Kristian

jimboyep

Post by jimboyep » 05 Nov 2010 16:38

It has similar characteristics to the DP-500M which I own... Without reviewing the specs on the 500 it's probably the same or close just housed in a new plinth. It's attractive enough to even get me thinking about buying it. The 500 is a competent deck, quiet operation but lacks the refinement of older generations with regards to to the tonearm assembly and adjustments. How much is it?

jimboyep

Post by jimboyep » 05 Nov 2010 16:48

Just saw the price and at over $2400 it's not worth the money...It is too similar to the 500 which I comfortably shelled out $400 bucks for. If you love Denon's, travel back in time and find the DP-60 and up.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 10 Jan 2011 02:46

Came across this:

http://usblog.denon.com/say-hello-to-de ... rntable-5/

Happy reading.....

Fred

zharca

Post by zharca » 10 Jan 2011 13:41

jimboyep wrote:Just saw the price and at over $2400 it's not worth the money...It is too similar to the 500 which I comfortably shelled out $400 bucks for. If you love Denon's, travel back in time and find the DP-60 and up.
I'm with you on that. I'm not sure that this will perform as well as the best of the old ones.

This:

DP80 with DK300 plinth, new modern arm and Zu-Denon 103R, added up to less than $2500 all in, and I'll take bets on which sounds best.......

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 23 Jan 2011 22:42

Last summer when I read about the anniversary model and saw a picture of it I was very interested. That died when I saw the price. I went for the Rega P324 instead which ended up being $1000 cheaper when you add in the power supply and cartridge. That said ,what really counts is what comes out of the speaker. Anyone had a chance to compare the sound between the two?

sunderwood
United States of America

Post by sunderwood » 24 Jan 2011 01:52

I need to add something I left out on this subject in my last post. I was talking about a comparison betwen the anniversary model and the DP-500M.

mjcmt
United States of America

Re: Denon DP-A100

Post by mjcmt » 29 Mar 2011 17:20

RADIOGNOM wrote:I think the 'new' Denon DP-A100 is a Denon DP-1300MK II in a new dress.
I think you are correct. The tonearm base is more like the Japanese market 1300mkII than the American market 500 series. It is therefore more likely an upgrade from the 500 series that most folks are comparing it to. Anyway, I think the DPa100/DLa100 combo looks stunning and probably sounds wonderful too.

An owner of the new DPa100/DLa100 posted a comment on Audiogon on 3/28/11. He says "I had one delivered on Friday. I've owned some good TT's (Pro-ject, McIntosh, Rega) and I'd stack this up against any of them. Excellent sound quality, even right out of the box. Great soundstage and very quiet. It's also a beautiful looking piece of equipment and was packed as well as anything I've ever purchased."

mjcmt
United States of America

Post by mjcmt » 30 Mar 2011 21:12

I made a typo I'm correcting in this post.
I said "It is therefore more likely an upgrade from the 500 series that most folks are comparing it to."
I mean to say: The tonearm base indicates it is more likely a 1300mkII upgrade than the cheaper 500 series that most folks are comparing it to.

Furthermore the 1300mkII and a100 weight is closer too, which can account for the increased plinth thickness.
dp-500m 10.1 kg
dp-1300 mkII 14.5 kg
dp-a100 15.7 kg

1300 mkII Photos:
http://www.audiounion-tsuhan.com/ct/detail/sell/60636
http://www.soundplaza.co.jp/seihin/ana_dp1300mk2_u.html

kabf1cox

Denon Dp-A100 - A Few Months Later

Post by kabf1cox » 16 Aug 2011 00:07

Well, it's been a few months with my DP-A100 now and I have to admit I have been quite pleased with the unit. I did finally drop in my Audio Technica AT33EV though, and frankly, I am liking the sound a bit more than the provided Denon DL-A100. A bit smoother all-in-all with less lift in the higher frequencies...or at least it seems that way to my ear. The arm is definitely that from the 1300MKII table, but the plinth is heftier and a much nicer finish in my opinion. There is no doubt that this deck is a bit on the pricey side and that you're paying extra for the novelty of owning a throwback to yesteryear's great Japanese turntables. But since I plan on holding on to this one for quite awhile I imagine I'll get my money's worth out of her. It just so happens I owned and miss a lot of those old Japanese behemuths from the 1970's and 80's. Let's give it up for nostalgia and perhaps the last...yet to be determined...great Japanese turntable. :?: :?: :?:

cmsdms

Post by cmsdms » 26 Dec 2011 14:31

I just purchased one of these because they are almost 40 percent off. I figured how could you go wrong. Well, wrong I was. What a piece of junk. The platter is warped and the mat has a bump in it. The worst thing is the arm bearings are loose. It actually rattles!! I cant believe Denon would put their name on this thing!

fjdaigle

Post by fjdaigle » 28 Jan 2012 18:11

Wow, that is downright tragic! Did you order yours from MusicDirect? I picked up the DL A100 cartridge from them for 40% off and the DCD A100 SACD player.

Hopefully you were able to return it for a replacement or refund.

BTW, I really like both the SACD player and the cartridge.

66mohawk

Post by 66mohawk » 07 Feb 2012 13:28

I as well have a Denon DP-A100 and had the same platter issues as listed above but Denon sent me a perfect one straight away, I am however having issues with the sound, it seems on female vocals there is a lisp like overloading the microphone that is present. I have been through the set-up procedure several times and I know my pre-amp is set correctly, anybody have any ideas?