Denon DP-A100

deeply dp
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 25 Aug 2010 14:12

1200y3 wrote:As much as I admire the 1200 for its ability to perform high end while still being DJ strong, it is over 30 years old in design and quite archaic. I know it has been poorly coppied by others, but now that it it's done, something better must be on its way.
It's not gonna happen, Technics cannot justify ROI if they do. As far as Techncs is concerned, I believe they've reached their Everest, so why not leverage a good sounding table design as far as it will go / take them.

The future is digital right? :cry: #-o ](*,)

Fred we're all dinosaurs and there's probably enough vintage tts around to satisfy the vinyl playback market for now....... :shock:

Post by Guest » 25 Aug 2010 22:46

I read somewhere that vinyl is making a comeback :shock: More customers = more development, right??? [-o< :D \:D/

Rysz

Post by Rysz » 06 Sep 2010 20:23

Had my hands on a reel live DP-A100 for about two weeks ago.

At an internal company conference we were presented all 100 ann. products by the german Denon head engineer.

According to him, they actually have been a trip to the basement dusting of the old tools.

I can confirm that this weighs more than a SL1200 and seems to be well build, but regarding sound I can't say that much. It wasn't hooked up.

The cartridge is more likely to play as a DL103SA than a DL103R. This again accordig to the Denon engineer and again...haven't heard it for myself.

Overall I was thrilled with both the TT and Cartridge. Would like one of theese, but off course it has to play as well as it looks. Otherwise it would be a waste of money.

RADIOGNOM

Denon DP-A100

Post by RADIOGNOM » 24 Sep 2010 09:33

I think the 'new' Denon DP-A100 is a Denon DP-1300MK II in a new dress.

Werner
long player
long player

Post by Werner » 24 Sep 2010 14:02

Rysz wrote: According to him, they actually have been a trip to the basement dusting of the old tools.
Many years ago, just prior to the launch of their first digital loudspeaker, I was talking to one of the Philips engineers involved with their then top-line of audio components. He went to great lengths explaining how audiophile that team was, and that they even spent a great deal of effort on designing a totally new turntable for the line-up.

When that TT appeared weeks later it proved to be a rebadged entry-level Dual ...

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 24 Sep 2010 14:10

Werner wrote:
Rysz wrote: According to him, they actually have been a trip to the basement dusting of the old tools.
Many years ago, just prior to the launch of their first digital loudspeaker, I was talking to one of the Philips engineers involved with their then top-line of audio components. He went to great lengths explaining how audiophile that team was, and that they even spent a great deal of effort on designing a totally new turntable for the line-up.

When that TT appeared weeks later it proved to be a rebadged entry-level Dual ...
Werner....... :shock: :shock: :? :cry:

You just shot me through the heart with a "reality arrow".... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Fred and wondering if Geraldo's gonna open some more vaults.... :roll: :P :?

PaulTwickers

Post by PaulTwickers » 28 Sep 2010 14:06

Radiognom says the DP A100 is a DP1300 mkII in disguise. As far as I'm aware the DP 1300MKII isn't available in the UK.

Does anyone have any experience of this tt, is it a high end tt. Would denon dealers have it available for auditions?

RADIOGNOM

Denon DP-A100

Post by RADIOGNOM » 06 Oct 2010 22:23

The Denon DP 1300 mkII is only for the Japanese market. Denon's 100-year anniversary is the reason why the DP 1300mkII
will be sold worldwide. The same for the DP-500, only for the American market.

royphil345

Post by royphil345 » 11 Oct 2010 03:59

KentT wrote:This is a Chinese made OEM turntable. It has the same tonearm is the same as the Stanton T 90. And it is basically a blinged up DP-500 M which isn't worth the $700 price. Not worth the price asked. Not a real Denon turntable we know and love here.
Really? I suggest you look at these two photos of the two QUITE different tonearms and the way they're mounted...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media ... F8&index=1

http://usblog.denon.com/say-hello-to-de ... turntable/

Inventing "facts" about products out of thin air doesn't add much to the discussion and really, Denon has the basis for a lawsuit against you.

Chopsrr
United States of America

Post by Chopsrr » 11 Oct 2010 14:40

No matter what's under the hood of the DP-A100, it simply looks cheap. There's nothing about it that looks good. It just has an air of cheapness to it. Personally, I wouldn't give you two cents for it. Now the DP-1300MK II on the other hand looks like a fairly decent unit, but the tone arm still looks cheap.

I'd still take my old DP-50K or any other old vintage Denon over these new ones.

lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Germany

Post by lini » 11 Oct 2010 18:43

rp345: He just named the wrong model - you need to look at the ST.150 instead (or the Reloop RP6000Mk6 or the new Audio Technica AT-LP240 or...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dr Oho

Post by Dr Oho » 29 Oct 2010 10:15

Is it really rubbish?
Saw it at the Manchester Hi Fi show and it looked pretty cool.
solid. sturdy etc
looked expensive

kabf1cox

Denon DP-A100

Post by kabf1cox » 01 Nov 2010 23:38

Well, I just took delivery of my Denon DP-A100 100th Anniversary Edition Turntable...today! This forum had really peaked my interest since I have been anxiously awaiting the opportunity to purchase this table since it's announcement back in August. Reading all the varying opinions and insights into it's design origins only served to peak my interest even further. I am currently the owner of their DP-500M so I can speak to some of the similarities and the differences between the two models.

There is no question that this turntable is based largely on the DP-500M's design and components. With the exception of the height adjustment at the tonearm's base it would appear to be the exact same tonearm is used in both models...all-be-it in a slightly different finish. Also, the platter design would appear to be that used in the DP-500M as well. The insulators also appear to be the same.

However, that is where the external similarities end with the DP-A100 having a significantlay larger, heavier and much better finished plinith. The dust cover is also a much sturdier design as well.

I can't speak to the internal workings of the deck, but suffice it to say that it weighs in at a much more substantial 33.7lbs!! Significantly more than it's DP-500M predecessor. I know this to be the case as I had to carry the darn thing from the front door back to my listening area!

When I inquired about some of the issues raised in this forum Denon did not deny that some of the design elements and components were indeed adopted from the DP-500M. They did however say that this was a significantly more "beefed up" design and utilized direct drive design concepts from older vintage models from Denon's past.

What I can say, regardless of varying opinons as to the quality of the tonearm and other components, this is a well built and beautifully finished product. I haven't hooked it up yet, but at $2500 I am hoping it sounds as good as it looks...stay tuned! :shock:

kabf1cox

Gave Her A Spin...

Post by kabf1cox » 02 Nov 2010 23:20

I had the chance to set up my DP-A100 last night and gave it a whirl. Overall I liked what I heard, but I would have to agree with earlier comments that the cartridge is probably a reworked 103R...a little bright. But generally a good sounding device with a very smooth and robust mid and bass range. I'll probably give my Audio Technica AT33EV a go over the weekend and see how that plays. Overall that is still my favorite sounding cartridge (I know, the tweaks are cringing), but to my ear, and until I spring for an Ortofon Rondo Bronze, it sounds very balanced.

As for the turntable...I love it! OK, it's no AVID or Oracle, but it is one gorgeous piece and the finish is first rate. The arm is probably not going to apeaze the real high enders out there, but it seems to hold it's own and the sound from my MSFL 1/2 speed mastered version of Alan Parson's I Robot sounded just fine. Perhaps not a critical listener's most desirable record for analystics, but nevertheless one that I am both fond of and very familiar with. It certainly knocks the socks off the MSFL CD version of the same recording when played through this set up.

All-in-all there are certainly better "values" out there when you consider it's $2500 price tag, but you won't find a better combination of both beauty and performance...of course beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I guess I am still a junky for those late 1970's to early 1980's era Japanese decks...big heavy wood cabinets and design queues that can't be rivaled. Too bad it's not cost effective for the big Japanese companies (what's left of them) to have continued in this product niche. But at least we'll have the DP-A100 to tied us over for a little while.

Oh, and yes, MADE IN CHINA. Give it up for low cost manufacturing markets. UGH!

On a scale of 1-10...she's a definite 8 1/2 in my book!

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 03 Nov 2010 12:44

Glad to hear you are happy with the Denon and thanks for the follow-up review and impressions.

Happy listening.

Fred