Denon DP-A100

deeply dp
anjoza

Denon DP-A100

Post by anjoza » 23 Aug 2010 21:52

Anyone have an opinion on this new turntable and cartridge by Denon?
Or an idea on prices?

[/url]http://denon100.com/#/en/products/turntable

Matt Lynch

Post by Matt Lynch » 23 Aug 2010 22:11

hi,
if past denon flagships are anything to go by then it will simply be superb, the sort of tt you could retire with and want for nothing more, its this bit that interests me , http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/ ... 47461.html
thanks for the heads up , dear santa...

anjoza

Post by anjoza » 23 Aug 2010 22:16

Thanks for the link. I see I messed up with mine.

Matt Lynch

Post by Matt Lynch » 23 Aug 2010 22:23

anjoza wrote:Thanks for the link. I see I messed up with mine.
no worries , just copy and paste the link direct from the address bar, dont use the insert tools and its fine,,
i cant wait to hear that beastie, i soooo hope my local imporium gets one in on loan, i am guessing here but if the cart is £500 then the tt is at least £5000, any one with more info?

Matt Lynch

Post by Matt Lynch » 23 Aug 2010 23:04

Gee, hate to burst your bubble, but maybe you should read the description with the turntable?

"In 1961, Denon jointly produced the now iconic DL-103 cartridge with NHK for use at FM stations. The DL-103 was able to play stereo LP records with high fidelity and reliability (providing easy handling and stability). The basic design of this model continues to achieve first-rate performance and plays an active part in today's world of Hi-Fi audio enthusiasts. Reflecting this engineering expertise and innovation, the new DL-A100 cartridge represents the standard model that has been in production for a little less than a half century - now reborn with the latest tuning for pure enjoyment."

Looks like $500 - A 103R?
neo
can anyone confirm that it is a 103R in clear body or is it a re-worked 103 without the 103R's nasty treble lift? or is it in fact a re-worked DL100 , the fore runner of the 103? perhaps a 100 with the 'R' treatment?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 24 Aug 2010 04:14

It has the old plastic body, not the metal-blocked one on the 301 II, 304, and DL-S1.

Cheers,
Alec

Werner
long player
long player

Post by Werner » 24 Aug 2010 09:45

TT costs $2500 including cartridge and closely resembles their most-recent big turntable, the $700 DP-500M, so it is technically not related to past glories. Possibly more like a dressed-up SL-1200 clone.

Guys, don't forget these are anniversary models, targeted at collectors.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 24 Aug 2010 13:16

This is a Chinese made OEM turntable. It has the same tonearm is the same as the Stanton T 90. And it is basically a blinged up DP-500 M which isn't worth the $700 price. Not worth the price asked. Not a real Denon turntable we know and love here.

1200y3
long player
long player

Post by 1200y3 » 24 Aug 2010 13:31

Denon is more respected for DD technology than Technics. There cheap turntables are still very refined. What makes it important is that the DD was Denon's invention.

Matt Lynch

Post by Matt Lynch » 24 Aug 2010 14:43

such a shame, i guess that denon are no longer tooled up for making the iconic DD's they once did, thanks for the info folks.

WmAx

Post by WmAx » 24 Aug 2010 21:52

It's very odd they ask so much for this apparent low quality table and tone arm set. D&M Holdings is Denon, and is Marantz as well. Marantz's modern day entry into high quality tables produced a superb product with incredible value: TT-15S1. They contracted Clearaudio to design/build the table for them. It is not only far superior to this new Denon 'flagship', it is substantially lower priced AND included a highly regarded cartridge that costs over $800 just by itself! I do not understand the discrepancy between how two different subsidiaries of D&M are handling a similar issue! The real irony, however, is that Marantz was never known for making true high quality tables, with a single exception in the early 80s(TT1000), whilst Denon is known for an lengthy and advanced range of superb tables in the past, yet Denon is the one offering the poorest table as a 'flagship'?!??! Maybe someone will point out that the 'Marantz' table is made by another company FOR Marantz. But I doubt Denon made many of the parts in this new DP-A100. It even has what looks to be a low quality arm from a Stanton DJ table! The Marantz new table uses a high quality arm used in many highly regarded Clearaudio tables that cost up to $6000USD. The arm costs $1200 by itself, and Denon is using what?!?! for a tonarm in this $2500 'flagship' table? Please excuse me, I am a little emotional seeing Denon pull this sort of gimmick after their history in true high quality tables!

Chris

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 24 Aug 2010 22:56

Denon no longer makes their gear in their own factory since the D&M merger. And the tooling for their older tables is likely gone. If they revived them, they'd cost much more money than that price. Right now, Denon is the low end of the D&M three. Marantz being the upper middle class and McIntosh being their statement hand made US lineup.

avole

Post by avole » 25 Aug 2010 11:15

It has the Chinese DJ turntable inside, awful non-replaceable bearing and strange tone arm. A standard SL-1200 might well outperform it?

Regards

Dave
Dave, where did you manage to lay your hands on one? I thought they weren't out yet.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 25 Aug 2010 13:54

KentT wrote:Denon no longer makes their gear in their own factory since the D&M merger. And the tooling for their older tables is likely gone. If they revived them, they'd cost much more money than that price. Right now, Denon is the low end of the D&M three. Marantz being the upper middle class and McIntosh being their statement hand made US lineup.
I would venture to say that probably most ALL Japanese companies (not only Denon) DO NOT make gear in their own factories any more, especially budget, low end, fringe, market items ie, turntables.

Japan has LONG ago pushed manufacturing offshore to lower manufacturing costs and maintain their export prowess.

What is REALLY interesting to me is the plight of the SL-1200.... First disappearing off the (final lot sold off :idea: :?:) market; the re-emergence of the tt at much HIGHER pricing AND the mystery of the higher lead capacitance of the last "batch" :?:.

The SL-1200 is still marked "Made In Japan", however, how much of the sub-assemblies are made in China? and sent to Japan for final assembly and export?

It would be a shame to think all of the original tooling has been lost....:cry: I want to believe that the most esoteric tooling mechanics are locked away in the vaults of Denon, JVC, Sony, Yamaha etc... which only the top management can behold..... :shock: and / or further evolved into micro-robotics..... :roll: :-k

Fred always reading Country Of Origin labels...... :roll: and look to fleabay or minty vintage tts when vinyl was the KING playback medium.....

1200y3
long player
long player

Post by 1200y3 » 25 Aug 2010 13:59

As much as I admire the 1200 for its ability to perform high end while still being DJ strong, it is over 30 years old in design and quite archaic. I know it has been poorly coppied by others, but now that it it's done, something better must be on its way.