Denon DP-47F tonearm height cartridge setup problem - solved

deeply dp
Lembecker

Denon DP-47F tonearm height cartridge setup problem - solved

Post by Lembecker » 18 Mar 2009 20:15

Hi,

I have a problem with my recently bought Denon DP-47F TT. The tonearm on my unit seems to be too low to accept a standard size cartridge. I correctly fitted an AT95E pickup to the headshell but in the lifted up position of the tonearm the stylus is only at the height of the rubber sheet on the platter. No way to play a record on it.

The AT95E is smaller in size than the DL-160 which was originally sold with the TT as far as I know. Now I'm confused. Is there any way the height of the tonearm can be adjusted? How did you fit your pickup to the DP-47F tonearm?

Or can somebody owning a DP-47F please measure the height between the top of the cabinet and the top of the tonearm when it is lifted up? That would give me at least an indication if something is wrong with my machine.

THX,
Manfred

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Mar 2009 23:57

I don't know your deck, but manuals are here:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/denon/dp-47f.shtml

Cheers,
Alec

funkhawk

Post by funkhawk » 19 Mar 2009 08:38

If I am right.
At the back end of the toneram, there is a screw with a little pin.
You can raise or lower that pin with that screw.
The tonearm raises up to a moment that the pin is very close to the metal ground-level of the armboard.
So, if you raise the height of the pin, the front-part of the arm automatically lifts to a higher level and that's exactly what you want if I am right.
Please, note that the setting of the pin-level at the rear end of the tonearm is very sensitive, a tiny change of the level of this pin, will result in big changes in the arm lifting height of the front part of the tonearm.
Normally it is not needed to change the settings of this pin and this option is also not written down in the user-manual.

This will solve your problem.

Lembecker

Post by Lembecker » 19 Mar 2009 09:23

Many thanks for your support!

1. I've downloaded the manuals from the library and checked them. There is not a single line written about the height adjustment of the tonearm but at least Denon gives some advice how to set up the cartridge.

2. I'll try the setting of the pin at the end of the tonearme tonight. Looking at it I first had the impression that it would just limit the vertical swing of the tonearm. Therefore I'm uncertain if the tonearm will still be in parallel with the top of the platter/record after changing the setting of that screw. But it seems to be a very good idea to try to solve the problem this way. I' let you know how things went.

Again many THX,
Manfred

Lembecker

problem finally solved

Post by Lembecker » 20 Mar 2009 20:57

Hi,

the problem of adjusting the tonearm to the correct height on my Denon DP-47F TT was finally solved today. The reason was a bent tonearm. Simply a shipping damage. I found the actual reason for my trouble more or less by random. With the headshell removed I looked sideways at the tonearm. It was fixed to its rest and I saw the arm sloping down from that point. The remaining part of the tonearm was straight and level.

This kind of shipping damage is easy to explain. Even though my deck was carefully packed before shipping some mechanical force must have worked on it during the transport. The aluminium tube of the tonearm is quite soft. Unless the front end of the tonearm is supported by some styrofoam during the shipping, too, it will bend near the rest if some force is accidently applied to it. This can happen for example if the parcel with the TT is turned upside down.

This afternoon I carefully straightened the tonearm by hand. It was not very difficult and now the tonearm is straight again as it should be. Plenty of height now for mounting the cartridge and no problem to align it properly.

By the way, there are no means to adjust the actual tonearm height on this TT. You can only increase or reduce the vertical swing of the tonearm by a setting screw/pin.

Well, I'm happy that I can put it into use now. It is 22 years old and still a wonderful piece of equipment.

Many THX to all who helped with this problem,
Manfred

Rauletee
Spain

Re: Denon DP-47F tonearm height cartridge setup problem - solved

Post by Rauletee » 29 Jan 2020 03:58

Hello i dont know about dp47 but in dp57-L you can adjust armtone’s heigh . See manual page 21.

Is a great turntable... mine is fully working just need a little paint restoration close frontal switches...
any help with this question???