DP-59L tonearm bearing lubrication

deeply dp
Rock Ball
United States of America

DP-59L tonearm bearing lubrication

Post by Rock Ball » 09 Feb 2020 23:19

I went to a local well-respected vintage audio gear repair shop yesterday to see if they worked on Denon DP-59L turntables. The answer was 'no.' I told them that it was working fine, but that I wanted it recapped and lubricated. They said I should sell it while it is still working because it is very hard to find someone to work on it.

I really don't want to sell it, so I want to see what I can do on my own if I can get some information to get me started.

The first thing I would like to do is lubricate the bearings. I can't find any specific information about how to access the bearings on the tonearm. Is anyone willing to shed some light on this for me?

There are many other questions I have, but I'll start with this one.

For example, how do you remove these covers (circled in red)?
20190423_191914_tone-arm-bearings_circled.jpg
Bearing covers circled in RED
(50.35 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: DP-59L tonearm bearing lubrication

Post by lenjack » 10 Feb 2020 00:20

I just looked at the service manual. Unfortunately, the parts blowup, shows everything but the arm. I suspect, if you disassemble this, you will be over your head in reassembling and readjusting the bearings. It may be that very specialized tooling and test equipment is need for this. The service manual says nothing on this. This is a 1984 model, which Denon no longer supports.

These servo controlled Denons are absolutely fabulous turntables, but they are a real headache when they need service.

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 10 Feb 2020 01:51

Rock Ball wrote:
09 Feb 2020 23:19
I went to a local well-respected vintage audio gear repair shop yesterday to see if they worked on Denon DP-59L turntables. The answer was 'no.' I told them that it was working fine, but that I wanted it recapped and lubricated. They said I should sell it while it is still working because it is very hard to find someone to work on it.

I really don't want to sell it, so I want to see what I can do on my own if I can get some information to get me started.

The first thing I would like to do is lubricate the bearings. I can't find any specific information about how to access the bearings on the tonearm. Is anyone willing to shed some light on this for me?

There are many other questions I have, but I'll start with this one.

For example, how do you remove these covers (circled in red)?
20190423_191914_tone-arm-bearings_circled.jpg
I'm amused by your well respected vintage audio repair shop, my other folly is that I drive a Citroen and have for pretty well all my driving life. In that time I've learned not to even ask a non marque specific mechanic to work on my cars - not even a simple oil/filter change, they turn white, cross their chest and reach for the garlic, backing away with strange muttering about the unnatural - sound familiar? :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

With that in mind, I'd be on the lookout for someone familiar with your TT for a time when and if it may require servicing. If it is behaving and shows no symptoms, leave well alone, enjoy it. . .

Did I say how much I enjoy the supreme comfort of my Citroen and love my DP 47F more with each passing day =D> :lol:

I've seen no reference to lubricating the arm, there are certainly recommendations to re-cap but mostly where machines have been out of use for extended periods. Looking at this pic I'd be very hesitant to work on the arm :shock:
Denon Tonearm.JPG
(44.17 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Chris

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 10 Feb 2020 02:22

To add to my original response, Denons of this level, are considerably more complex than most. Mine was a DP-52F, very similar to the previous poster's DP-47F, that had switches that needed contact cleaner, or the arm would not balance at all. A recap might be reasonable, but if all is well, I think you'd be best advised to leave it be.