New toy coming Denon DP-80

deeply dp
jmcwha

New toy coming Denon DP-80

Post by jmcwha » 28 Dec 2019 22:23

Hi All
Woke up this morning to find I'm the proud owner of a Denon DP-80. Just the turntable unit, no plinth or tonearm. It's just been serviced with all the Electrolytic capacitors replaced. For a tonearm I'm planning on using an Audio Origami modded RB250 that I already have. Plinth wise I've just put a bid on a DK-100F plinth. Possibly not the best plinth for it but the condition and price are right. It also comes with two arm boards although I don't either are suitable for my arm. Ultimately I'd like to make or have made a minimalist plinth for it but that will be a long way off.
Any other DP-80 or other Denon owners out there, who would care to share their experiences or advice?

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Re: New toy coming Denon DP-80

Post by Legrace » 29 Dec 2019 13:35

After much research I similarly select DP-80 as foundation for a higher end table. Also starting with just a drive. For plinth I went with a Denon DK110 plinth. DK series are constrained layer designs, real battleships. On first seeing it close up I was duly impressed by the quality and heft.

Arm wise for this table I choose 12 inch Reed 3P arm, keeping with theme of higher end. Stock armboard though is having unsuitable hole location. My solution is to purchase wooden dowel stock of matching diameter to fill in hole, using epoxy to set in place. I then apply covering veneer and finish with several coats clear lacquer, sanding in-between. I also replace stock armboard tie down screws with brass finger nuts, purely for aesthetic reason, as I am liking the look. I include before picture of plinth.

As an fyi while I was shopping around for the Reed in the interim I installed a 9 inch AudioMods arm onto a temporary plywood armboard that I prepared using the stock armboard as a tracing template. Denon typically used 10.5 inch arms with their DP drives but I can confirm you can fit a 9 inch as well.

Good luck with your project. Final result should prove highly enjoyable, mine certainly is.
Attachments
reed 3p.JPG
(58.51 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
DK110_3.JPG
(156.43 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
DP80.JPG
(180.07 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

jmcwha

Post by jmcwha » 29 Dec 2019 23:26

Thanks for your reply, Legrace. It's good to know a 9" arm will fit. I also looked at an Audiomods arm, but then the Audio Origami arm came along at the right price.
I was looking for an arm for a Manticore Mantra at the time. The Mantra was a big disappointment with belt issues. So I decided to cut my loses and go Direct Drive instead.
The plinth I'm getting has arm boards for Denon and SME, so I'll need to either make up a board or modify an existing one. Another tonearm I quite like is the Wand tonearm. They are locally made (I live in New Zealand), and comes in 9, 10.5, and 12 inch sizes. The Reed arms look interesting so may need to look them up. Anyway changing the arm will be a long way off and I'll probably change my mind several times before that happens. I like the the idea of having multiple arm boards so I can swap the out.
Will post some pictures when I get the turntable and plinth.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 29 Dec 2019 23:43

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.