Denon DP-1200 coming out of retirement

deeply dp
Incipient
Australia

Denon DP-1200 coming out of retirement

Post by Incipient » 28 Nov 2019 15:46

So we have a DP-1200 which is coming out of a VERY long retirement. I personally never recall it being used in the last 20 years or so, so no idea how long before that it was last used. It HAS been kept well protected, original arm padded/wrapped.

Currently it's missing a cartridge, so I've done some looking around (mostly here! viewtopic.php?t=22228) and the Grado Blue2 seems to be the best one in my budget. If anyone has a more suitable suggestion for something similar (AU$185/US$125) I'm all ears (I can go a bit higher if there is something remarkable)

I expect there are going to be some issues with this, most likely electrical or mechanical. While I don't yet have a cartridge, I was going to test it for power on and stable rotation at 33/45 while the cartridge is on its way. I was going to, basically, power it on and see how it goes.

I'm sure a person or two have brought a table out of retirement before, and wanted to see if there were any do's and don'ts that i should be aware of.

Cheers for any help
Inci

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Re: Denon DP-1200 coming out of retirement

Post by Legrace » 29 Nov 2019 12:53

Lovely deck, good luck with the resurrection.

jmcwha

Post by jmcwha » 10 Dec 2019 00:15

Another cartridge to check out is the Nagaoka MP110. It should be a similar price to the Grado Blue. There are a view reviews on Youtube comparing it favourably to a Grado Blue and Red. I have not hear the Grado but I have a Naga MP110 and I'm quite happy with it.
Good luck with getting the DP-1200 up and running.

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 10 Dec 2019 04:47

Incipient wrote:
28 Nov 2019 15:46
So we have a DP-1200 which is coming out of a VERY long retirement. I personally never recall it being used in the last 20 years or so, so no idea how long before that it was last used. It HAS been kept well protected, original arm padded/wrapped.

Currently it's missing a cartridge, so I've done some looking around (mostly here! viewtopic.php?t=22228) and the Grado Blue2 seems to be the best one in my budget. If anyone has a more suitable suggestion for something similar (AU$185/US$125) I'm all ears (I can go a bit higher if there is something remarkable)

Cheers for any help
Inci
Nice TT :)

You can still get the original Cartridge DL 103 - a little above your budget but I've seen them not too far off your limit, a nice cart!!

If you have problems (I doubt you will as it was well packed for retirement) there is a fellow in Perth Aus very familiar with the 1200. . . fully booked at the moment but would probably offer advice over the phone :?:
https://liquidaudio.com.au/another-deno ... ed-issues/
https://liquidaudio.com.au/servicing-de ... ble-motor/

Good luck getting it spinning :)

Chris

Incipient
Australia

Post by Incipient » 11 Dec 2019 15:21

Hey Chris,

Haha thanks for the heads up - I'll look him up if i get stuck!

Will look into the DL 103.

BR