Denon DP 47F Speed issue

deeply dp
Bluesnote
Australia

Denon DP 47F Speed issue

Post by Bluesnote » 09 Sep 2019 08:46

Hi from Australia,

First post but I've been having a good look around for a while. . .
I've just imported a Denon DP 47F from Japan, while waiting for it to arrive I've invested in a transformer to convert our 240v to 100v both run at 50Hz.

I've just plugged in to test and find the turntable is running way too fast both on 33 and 45, when selecting 33/45 the light glows steady but as soon as the arm is moved toward the turntable the light will flash - I guess indicating it is not at correct speed. I believe there is a brake function that should slow the TT to a rapid stop once the arm has returned to rest, at the moment it continues spinning until it loses momentum.

Service for vintage TTs is pretty well non existent here in Brisbane, is there anything obvious I can investigate? Testing other features like auto start, arm lift and drop, locate buttons etc. all work as they should.

Anyone from Brisbane, Australia know of someone that may be able to help? Any input very much appreciated.

Chris

Bluesnote
Australia

Re: Denon DP 47F Speed issue

Post by Bluesnote » 09 Sep 2019 12:54

Well, I've had a little play with the unfamiliar. . .
Thanks to a few previous posts here (yeah, should have done more searching) I've adjusted the magnetic speed sensor to the wheel. I now have 33 and 45rpm. I had contacted the seller who insisted everything was working before being shipped so can only conclude a bit of rough handling had caused the sensor to shift enough to throw things out? All functions are now working flawlessly.

Now the fun begins, setting up the cartridge etc.

Chris

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 09 Sep 2019 14:49

I'm curious. How did you adjust the sensor?

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 09 Sep 2019 18:54

lenjack wrote:
09 Sep 2019 14:49
I'm curious. How did you adjust the sensor?
Lifted the mat, spin the wheel to reveal the magnetic detection head - loosened the two securing screws and set the gap to manufactures .18mm with a feeler gauge. I haven't done anything with the lock adjustment for 45 and 33 which requires much more electrical knowledge and equipment (oscilloscope) than I possess.

Chris

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 09 Sep 2019 20:33

Good job. :)