Denon arm board question

deeply dp
fiddlefye
Canada

Denon arm board question

Post by fiddlefye » 21 Feb 2019 01:03

Can anyone tell me why Denon consistently used rectangular arm boards that run under the drive? It means that every time one changes the board the drive has to be removed. When I added a front board on the plinth for my DP-80 I made the space follow that of the drive so it can be removed easily, but the back board follows the Denon pattern.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Re: Denon arm board question

Post by Legrace » 21 Feb 2019 21:00

Annoying, but not a deal breaker. Assume it was just easier to implement and they figured users would not be changing arms that often?

funkhawk

Post by funkhawk » 23 Feb 2019 00:10

I once had a dp-80 with a dk-110 plinth. I still have a brand new magahony armboard (uncut) for it.
I remember removing the armboard did not require removing the drive, although a small part of the armboard was under the drive.
Just remove the screws and lift-up the armboard from the right side.
Maybe for the dk-300 plinth this is not possible, because that armboard is thicker as far as I know.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 23 Feb 2019 13:54

Unfortunately with my DK110 the drive must be removed first.

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 23 Feb 2019 15:34

funkhawk wrote:
23 Feb 2019 00:10
I once had a dp-80 with a dk-110 plinth. I still have a brand new magahony armboard (uncut) for it.
I remember removing the armboard did not require removing the drive, although a small part of the armboard was under the drive.
Just remove the screws and lift-up the armboard from the right side.
Maybe for the dk-300 plinth this is not possible, because that armboard is thicker as far as I know.
Lucky! I wish it were so with mine!

You might have a point about the armboard thickness. Mine are 3/4".

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 23 Feb 2019 16:20

It just struck me that this must be the reason for the angled cut along the one edge of my armboard. This cut would indeed permit the armboard to pivot up and out of the armboard recess. As well the screw holes are situated to make sure the cut always locates correctly on the right hand side. In addition to finding the angled edge odd I did also wonder why the asymmetric hole pattern. The reason is clear now, the combination of these features prevents the armboard from becoming trapped despite projecting under the drive. On mine I replaced the original mounting screws with threaded rod and brass finger nuts. The finger nuts come off but because the threaded rod stays put I have to lift the armboard straight out. Obviously I'm far less clever than the original Denon designers! #-o

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 23 Feb 2019 20:48

When I designed the arm board for No. 1 position on my plinth I just followed the contour of the drive. It seems to work just fine. I am guessing that the original intention for a board running under the drive was for some sort of acoustic connection, but my installation seems to work well. The back board requiring the drive to be removed is a pain in the petootie, though!
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7909/470 ... cceb_z.jpgDSC_3314 by fiddlefye, on Flickr