Denon DP-31F Tonearm Issue

deeply dp
arnie_g

Denon DP-31F Tonearm Issue

Post by arnie_g » 20 Jan 2019 16:19

I have an issue with my Denon DP-31F which I have owned from new since 1980. Unfortunately the tone arm swings quite violently across the turntable, if the start and stop keys are pressed. It was the first piece of Hi Fi equipment I purchased as a student so it has sentimental value and I am keen to repair it. It is in mint condition and I am happy with its performance with the Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge. Problem is as described in post DP-32F Tonearm Issue by Mark DiPaola - 06 Jul 2016.

I have downloaded the service manual from your site, so many thanks for this. As also suggested by post July 2016, my initial thoughts is the electrolytic caps have aged and therefore out of spec after 39 years. I have replaced the caps, but the problem persists. I have temporally disconnected the start & stop button so I can use the turntable manually, but I would really like to get the automatic features working again. Thus have anyone truly fixed this issue?

I am now wondering if there are other components like the CDS that are the real culprit? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot will be appreciated. I am now concerned that I might not be able to get replacement parts after 39 years, so any help on finding equivalent replacements and any guidance on the set-up procedure will be much appreciated.