DP-61F Troubles

deeply dp
orangecrush

DP-61F Troubles

Post by orangecrush » 18 Oct 2018 22:20

I am looking at a DP-61F table for a friend and to be honest I have never worked on a Denon turntable before. I have an electronics background and I am proficient at troubleshooting most vintage audio, I just don't have a lot of experience with turntables. When you power the table on and press start the tonearm travels all the way to the center of the record but does not drop. The turntable motor does not rotate either. In fact, when powered on the tonearm floats. If you start the table manually by moving the tonearm the table motor starts but the tonearm does not lower to the record. If you press stop the turntable motor does not stop either. I suspect multiple issues and not sure where to start on this one. I did adjust the pots for correct voltages for the tonearm motor and lift motor but no change. The unit has the original capacitors as well so this may be a power issue too. Looking at the schematics it appears that IC5 and 6 are op amps and are used used for driving both the tonearm motor and lift motor so that should be a good place to start. Since the tonearm moves by simply powering on then I would expect a drive signal to be present at the motor at power on which would be wrong Thanks, any Help to get me started in the right direction would be appreciated.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: DP-61F Troubles

Post by audiopile » 19 Oct 2018 04:21

You haven't specifically mentioned this - so I'm going to ask : Are you testing with a LP on the platter ? If not - the light will shine thru matt on the platter and trigger the no record on platter over ride -arm will then do exactly what you describe . Own and use a 61F -impressively fine table.

orangecrush

Re: DP-61F Troubles

Post by orangecrush » 19 Oct 2018 12:07

Yes, there is an LP on the platter. I wonder if that sensor might be bad?