Anyone out there who know the Denon DP-80/75 Really well?

deeply dp
Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Re: Anyone out there who know the Denon DP-80/75 Really well

Post by Legrace » 20 Feb 2018 17:58

Rec'd the voltage converter today. So far not seeing anything amiss, accelerates quickly to speed both settings + strobe also working. Amazing how quiet it runs and the braking system is pretty cool to experience. Also just rec'd a shipping confirmation on the plinth, I was starting to wonder. Happy camper. :D

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 20 Feb 2018 21:24

Spinner45 wrote:
fiddlefye wrote: It really is something starting up the DP-80. Press a button, the strobe comes on and it is turning up to speed instantly, but in stately majesty. No fuss, no bother. Chances are that the only sound you hear until the diamond hits the groove is a little hum from the transformer.
In the "better" designs, power transformers are shock-mounted, usually with some type of rubber/neoprene grommets or casing.
This will effectively silence any residual buzzing.
Because this is a 100v unit the transformer I'm talking about isn't part of the power supply, but a step-down unit from 110v. The power transformer in the drive itself hangs in a sling and makes not a peep of sound or vibration.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 20 Feb 2018 21:34

I hail from the poorer eastern end of the province, over here the Ontario Hydro feed is closer to 122v. Causing a lot of grief for my tube amps until I put together a bucker to drop it down. My tubes are much happier now.

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 20 Feb 2018 23:06

Legrace wrote:Rec'd the voltage converter today. So far not seeing anything amiss, accelerates quickly to speed both settings + strobe also working. Amazing how quiet it runs and the braking system is pretty cool to experience. Also just rec'd a shipping confirmation on the plinth, I was starting to wonder. Happy camper. :D
Super! I'm glad everything is as one would hope. Yes, watching the drive start up and stop really is almost like magic, isn't it?

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 20 Feb 2018 23:10

Legrace wrote:I hail from the poorer eastern end of the province, over here the Ontario Hydro feed is closer to 122v. Causing a lot of grief for my tube amps until I put together a bucker to drop it down. My tubes are much happier now.
I have the same problem intermittently. I run a CJ MV-45 and the bias is done by turning a screw until each of the four LEDs winks out. It will run all day perfectly then I will start hearing a touch of hiss and a loss of definition and will look over and see things lit up like a Christmas tree. A few minutes later all is back to normal. I need to get a voltage-stable power supply, at least for the power amp.

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 20 Feb 2018 23:15

Some pics of progress of late. Getting close the plinth. The router work is pretty much done and the arm boards are roughed out. I went with some flamed maple simply because a friend had a big chunk of it laying about he had no real use for. I went with the basic standard Denon shape for the No.1 board. The rear board is as original to the plinth.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4709/396 ... af82_b.jpgIMG_0412 by fiddlefye, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4606/396 ... ac15_b.jpgIMG_0411 by fiddlefye, on Flickr
The maple is almost 1/8" thicker than the 3/4" depth of the board wells, but once it is all sanded I think I can just put a chamfer on the edge and it will look good, maybe pick out the edge in black?

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 20 Feb 2018 23:20

The finish on the walnut veneer will get a good "tarting up" and these are the arms that will get mounted.
Audio Craft AC-400C
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4470/264 ... e8f2_b.jpgAC 400C by fiddlefye, on Flickr
Sumiko MMT currently residing on the SP-15. That one will be up for grabs once the Denon is up and running.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4499/238 ... 3e87_b.jpgDSC_4326 by fiddlefye, on Flickr
I have some nice Herbie's feet just came in the post today to go underneath and the silicone oil I need for the arm is on the way as well. Coming together at last!

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 21 Feb 2018 00:27

Keep the pictures coming! The AC looks amazing!

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 21 Feb 2018 02:32

Legrace wrote:Keep the pictures coming! The AC looks amazing!
The pic of the AC-400C was borrowed from online just because it shows the arm a bit more dramatically. Mine is NOS, still in the somewhat shopworn box. It will be an interesting arm to set up as there are many aspects that have to be addressed with a degree of care apart from the usual suspects.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4626/396 ... 4167_b.jpgDSC_7709 by fiddlefye, on Flickr
Finally remembered tonight to take out the transport screws that hold the transformer still in transit. Silly me! Apparently the original owner of the drive never actually knew to remove them!

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 24 Feb 2018 13:27

Nice face lift. What steps did you take around restoring the finish?

Regarding my project the DK-110 arrived yesterday. :D Quite the chunk of wood! Arm board is drilled for a longer arm, hmm. Haven't decided a plan of attack yet, but getting some good ideas from your efforts!

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 25 Feb 2018 00:29

Legrace wrote:Nice face lift. What steps did you take around restoring the finish?

Regarding my project the DK-110 arrived yesterday. :D Quite the chunk of wood! Arm board is drilled for a longer arm, hmm. Haven't decided a plan of attack yet, but getting some good ideas from your efforts!
Was that arm board drilled for a Denon arm? Most of them were 230mm spindle to pivot. Post a pic of it! I am guessing if it is the usual Denon style with an arm board the wood will be relatively unfigured so matching an arm board isn't as tedious.

I haven't done a thing with the finish yet, just looks a whole lot better in that light than when the previous pics were taken - like us older fogies by candlelight!

I'm still swithering between thinning the boards so they sit flush or doing a chamfer and between doing up the plinth in black stain or leaving it as-is and just revitalizing the finish. I'm half tempted to tie the boards down as they are, drill and mount the arms and give it a go and then make my final decision on how to finish it all once I've lived with it for awhile..... that and I am running out of patience waiting to hear the thing!

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 25 Feb 2018 12:45

I have started a separate thread on my project here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=102615 (so as not to detract from this one)

Flush mounting is more likely to win a beauty contest, but would this force starting over?

fiddlefye
Canada

Post by fiddlefye » 25 Feb 2018 20:14

Legrace wrote:I have started a separate thread on my project here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=102615 (so as not to detract from this one)

Flush mounting is more likely to win a beauty contest, but would this force starting over?
Flush mounting really wouldn't be any more of an inconvenience than getting organized and finding a time to go to the gent's shop to get things leveled up. It just delays finishing the project a bit, but with it having taken several months now what is a few more days?

This afternoon I picked up some 1/4" black hex head bolts and t-nuts for tying down the arm boards. I will probably countersink the heads a little bit. I am thinking my next activity will actually be to measure and mark out the location for the arms and perhaps get them drilled while everything is in the shop. Then when I come home I just have to do my finish work and it can be set up and done.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 25 Feb 2018 20:48

Getting close!

I love hex head bolts! Will definitely add a nice touch. Looking forward to comparing notes once all this making things fit business is done!