the home of the turntable

PS-X70 to PS-X75 - is that worth upgrade (?) please help ;)

make believe

PS-X70 to PS-X75 - is that worth upgrade (?) please help ;)

Postby adamgdansk » 15 Feb 2017 09:31

Hi. I have a decent and well-working PS-X70. I have original headshell however I do not have auxiliary subweight (big mystery - where all these extra subweights for PUA-7 are gone). Now - I was thinking of moving to PS-X75 with Biotracer. I coukld get one in decent condition also. And also - without auxiliary weight so similarly idealy would need to be to stick to cartidges of <8g or use lighter headshell or add mass at the end of counterweight to be able to use cartridges >8g (this is not very strange - well-known Dl103 is >8g, Nagaoka MP500 is >8g, some nice AudioTechnicas are >8g - right?). I actualy did the same with PS-X70 and put some weight at the end of PUA-7 tonearm to use heavier cartridge...

Now - I assume this move from PS-X70 to PS-X75 would cost me ~300euro. I wonder if that is even worth to consider - in terms of overall use, sustainability of the drive/tonearm, sonic upgrade (if any)? Any opinions? Or should I stay with Ps-X70/PUA-7 as I would not gain much (realisticaly) from that investment? ;)
adamgdansk

Poland

Re: PS-X70 to PS-X75 - is that worth upgrade (?) please help

Postby mkoerner » 18 Feb 2017 21:15

I think the PS-X70 is better in most aspects. It's much less error prone and has probably the best arm of all of-the-shelf automatic Consumer DDs. I would not swap.

Mike
mkoerner
contributor

Germany

Postby adamgdansk » 22 Feb 2017 11:02

Thanks Mike. Yes, I think it is right way of thinking. My PS-X70 will rather stay with me ;)
adamgdansk

Poland

Postby iwasgointo » 17 Jun 2017 14:17

I have both tables and I can tell you the X70 sounds every bit as good as the X75. The only real advantage the X75 has is it can handle warped records better. If most of your records are reasonably flat the X70 is the way to go. Also, the X75 will have problems with that complex arm and other issues. My X75 had the platter speed go wacky and now runs far too fast. I converted to belt drive....see my post and photos. When the arm goes I'll put the X70 back into service. My X70 is older, but still operates perfectly.
iwasgointo

United States of America

Postby belyin » 06 Jul 2017 06:13

adamgdansk wrote:Hi. I have a decent and well-working PS-X70. I have original headshell however I do not have auxiliary subweight (big mystery - where all these extra subweights for PUA-7 are gone).

I found a standard 9mm 1/4" drive socket (from a socket wrench set) a nice snug fit in the PUA-7; a very cheap stand in for the auxiliary sub weight (the only one I could find for sale was more than $100!) and of a similar mass.
belyin

United States of America

Postby mkoerner » 07 Jul 2017 13:25

At the moment the counterweights show up quite frequently on Ebay. Someone in Asia started making a clone!
mkoerner
contributor

Germany

Postby anthony syrett » 07 Sep 2017 15:13

you here so many stories about psx75 micro chips and so on ,my arm would not go down, up and
down button did not work. I got this guys phone number he is brilliant dose all vintage.
he has repaired quite a few of these. he repaired mine iam over the moon with mine. if it has been stored for a while it prob needs a good clean and service, this guy lives in Farnborough Hampshire, this guy knows all there is to know, hope I can help. tony
anthony syrett

United Kingdom

Return to Sony