Sony PS-X65

make believe
johnbuford999

Sony PS-X65

Post by johnbuford999 » 29 Jan 2003 21:09

Hello all, I just purchased a Sony PS-X65 for a very decent price (couldn't turn it down) but no documentation, and have just carried out a search on the web to try and find out more about this computer-controlled monster... But nothing - not a sausage! Anyone know anything about these? Any info, observations, hints or tips would be gratefully received. ???

JaS
engine room
engine room

Re: Sony PS-X65

Post by JaS » 30 Jan 2003 09:12

Sorry I'm not up on this model but you say it's computer controlled? Is it a biotracer like the PS-X600? There's a review of one of these on HiFi World's web site and I very nearly bought a Biotracer myself just to have a tinker with. The tonearm in particular looks very interesting...

Regards
JaS

danj

Post by danj » 31 Jan 2003 06:44

I've not had a PS-X60 but the PS-X50 is very similar and I think, therefore, that I can help. The tonearm is a regular static balance type and not a servo or "biotracer" tonearm.  There is a VTA adjustment (tonearm height) and end-of-record is determined by a photocell, rather than a mechanical connection to the tonearm. It is a very high quality direct-drive machine that should give very satisfactory performance.  With my Sony (which I sold last year) I used an Audio-Technica AT440ML, a Stanton 681EEE and 881S, and a Grado Green and a Grado Silver.  The arm is very good, albeit a bit on the high-end of medium-mass. Congratulations on your find!  

johnbuford999

Post by johnbuford999 » 31 Jan 2003 20:04

So it looks like a rare beastie then - if no-one (so far) on VE can recall this exact model. All the more attractive to perverse turntable junkies like me - another one to treasure! (a motley selection of Garrard 401 x 2 / Technics SL-110 / Duals (various) and a Garrard Zero 100 SB Musicentre!) It does seem to be very similar to the PS-X60 pictured above as the arm seems identical and the plinth layout much the same but with a different control switch layout on the upper face of the front panel. Many thanx to you both and congrats to all on one of the most interesting sites on the web - and in the meantime if anyone else has any more info...

arfil

Post by arfil » 04 Mar 2004 15:10

Dear All,

May I kindly ask You, if You will have some documentation for PS-X65 in the meantime, where I am searching for the electronicaly alignment details of the tonearm...

When I will set down the tonearm, it do not come down vertically, but is running smoothly towards inside of the plate...

I did already check the circuit and there are some DC-levels alignment for the op-amps, which are mandatory for the "balance" of the arm and has to be known before starting with the "play at the potrntiometers wildly..."

Thanks in advance for some inputs...

arfil