the home of the turntable

Sony PS-HX500

make believe

Sony PS-HX500

Postby alexdonc » 24 Aug 2016 02:13

Hi vinyl comunity,

Since my quest has started - regarding vinyl resurgence in my own life of course, it's been some time.
And through this experience, I have ditched the ideea of vintige and moved on to the new stuff. Like many of you, I was into the normal quest of better sound and last but not least, taking care of my precious collection. Therefore I continued from the last piont - the Technics encounter...

So it's time to put my skills into action and for the first time ever, I have exchanged the included stock cartridge that came with preinstalled, and bought an AT440Mlb from Audio Technica. To tell you the whole truth for me it was kind of a stresfull situation - especially when I had to connect the stylus back to its place into the cartridge. I was literally afraid I will shatter the cantilever completely. In the end, everithing went fine.

I'm still into my own belief that alignament is not correct, because starting with no tools - meaning no professional equipment and especially not having all the data about the arm itself, it was a half well done job for me. I will show you what I have used to align. I tyied to make use of a protractor - a basic TONAR mirror protractor and it was hard doing it without a zoom lense - I do wear glasses since i was 4 ;). I ended up using a printed A4 paper with a much precise and simpler idea of an alignment tool found in the basic library here on vinylengine. I'm still not convinced I did the perfect job, but the outcome seems decent enough for me at
the end of the day - meaning the sound itself is pleasing and I can't really tell the diference if there is any distorsion or errors in the sound.

The cartridge signature is clear - more high frequencies revealed, unfortunatelly not as much medium and medium low spectrum, but enough low frequencies as to make me happy. I have adjusted the VTF at 1.5g and was amazed how well this little arm performs.

I was afraid to adjust antiskate with the glass method - I have a DIY glass record I have used in the past. When I saw the tip of the neddle at the microscope, I literally was afraid any micro hole in the glass could harm the dimond itself. Put it somewhere between 1 and 2 and hopefully there is it. I never heard any channel separation unbalance anyhow.

In the end, I will only say I was pretty impressed by this small TT from Sony, still dreaming of a Biotracer comeback on the market, but untill then, I'll try enjoying the music that this one will provide for me.

Some help with real service docs would be really apreciated. At this point this one doesn't even appear in the database here... :(

Also I wonder if the cartridge/styus could prematurelly wore if not perfectlly fitted.

Is there anyone of you who own this turntable?

Here is some excerpt from it performing something after the brain surgery :)

https://youtu.be/XeivnacWnOI

Please tell me what you really think. I promise I will get back to you with some good samples to listen to.
alexdonc

Bulgaria

Re: Sony PS-HX500

Postby alexdonc » 25 Aug 2016 02:30

Nobody has this turntable around here? Am I the only one...

How about the service manual. Do you know where can I get it
?

It would be very helpful for a double check of the cartridge alignment.

Thanks.
alexdonc

Bulgaria

Postby espresso1967 » 29 Aug 2016 00:40

Very nice, I am considering this TT. Will keep an eye on your post and YouTube. Thanks for the share
espresso1967

United States of America

Postby alexdonc » 29 Aug 2016 05:10

espresso1967 wrote:Very nice, I am considering this TT. Will keep an eye on your post and YouTube. Thanks for the share

I hope I will upload some high res samples until late the end of the week.
alexdonc

Bulgaria

Postby alexdonc » 30 Aug 2016 03:59

espresso1967 wrote:Very nice, I am considering this TT. Will keep an eye on your post and YouTube. Thanks for the share

Here it is:

The only thing could find, was a rip I made with a Sony PS-LX300 USB that was practically garbage, but the cartridge was the same s**t - 3600 style. You will find differences right away. Here's the folder were you can find some samples of the 2 plays you can here on this video. Meanwhile I will try and find if I have something ripped with my HX-PS500 before changing the cartridge. It's a real mess on my HDDs :) https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGq3VUsMVBGmL8LMxUsucl1zKZ8DQ
alexdonc

Bulgaria

Postby Eugened » 21 Mar 2017 18:27

Hello!

I am the one with PS-HX500 running it with brand new Nagaoka MP-200 since yesterday. Posting here my comments on upgrading the OEM head, and since I am not a Pro but rather a Vinyl fan... don't criticize me too much if I did smth wrong :-).

My choice of HX-500 was motivated by its ability to rip up to DSD 5.6, and for someone with Astell&Kern 120 II in the pocket and growing collection of LPs that sounded as good solution. Several positive reviews in the media, including couple where authors were telling about its upgrade flexibility were found as well. Bad for Sony, they did not provide any relevant information on tonearm, shell and needle. Anyhow, I gave it a try.

First, even though the installed head was conical with 3 gramms of pressure, my first impression on its sound was quite positive. I was running AT 440MLb with AT-120 DD before, and it sounded good, but... in reality its highs were too high whatever I tried to adjust. Some people said that Sony installed a custom-made AT-91 needle, my impression it more looks like and based on specs as Denon DSN-82, ie. 2.5-3 gramms pressure, 3 mV output, 5 gramms total, no other information was found since it's out ofmstock already.

My next day I tried AT- 440MLb. One review was recommending AT-120 as a possible upgrade, but 440 is what I had. Luckily, the heigth of OEM head was 17 mm, same for 440. The only pain was to dis-connect cables and re-connect them again, since Sony has no shell. Well, the sound improved a lot, which was kinda expected... but same thing - it was to high and too synthetic on the high end. However, if you like 440 sound, you can upgrade it, and it will improve the sound, and play in a typical sound picture of AT-440. To be honest, I didn't play to much with phono-corrector, may be slight adjustments could be achieved. But that was classic mid-range AT needle sound reproduction. Period.

MP-200 is my first Nagaoka, and my choice was mainly driven by vinyl community comments and reviews, as well as many samples heard, comparing it with AT and others. Two breaking points for me were: better (deeper and tigther) lows and smarter highs (authentic, intelligent, delicate, embracing and natural). Well, this is what I've got finally. Happy!

Things to consider:

1. MPs are 18.6 mm high vs 17 mm original. Sony's rubber mat is 5 mm thick. You can balance this deviation with 3 mm matt and get those almost 2 mils "back". Tonar has quite good rubber matt of 3 mm. This is important, I believe, to leep the same distance between the disk and the needle body.

2. Since Sony is silent on tech specs on tonearm, you gonna play a while with finding the right point for the needle. Mine picks disk surface now almost exactly where the needle point dot marked on the tonearm. Anyhow, final adjustments will be taken after 50 hrs run, but so far I don't hear anything that worries or buzzes me.

3. Not tried yet, but will play with pF swithches later. So far the sound is well balanced, I even like a delicate drop in mid-range. Hi-range may sound as "not enough" (after AT), but it pleases me more now.

Again, I am not an expert. And English is not my native language.

In Vinyl We Trust :-)
Eugened

Russia

Postby alexdonc » 17 May 2017 20:16

alexdonc

Bulgaria

Postby audionut » 05 Sep 2017 17:35

For anyone who might be interested I have uploaded three files linked below into dropbox. They are the same track recorded as HD PCM from a Rega RP1 with Rega Bias using a Novafidelity X40 and from a Sony PS-HX500 with AT VM540ML in both PCM and DSD format. Any comments would be interesting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcbhs30uhxras ... 0.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pg6h18sg8i5oc ... L.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcy3akzg25cgp ... L.dsf?dl=0
audionut

United Kingdom

Postby audionut » 05 Sep 2017 17:45

There is a lot more information re Sony PS-HX500 on this link:

http://forum.vinylmeplease.com/index.ph ... ost-406204

My research concluded that the cartridge in the Sony PS-HX500 is probably based on an

Audio Technica AT 3600 L Cartridge

Price: £21.00

Type: Moving Magnet; Fixing: Half-inch mount; Amplifier-connection: Phono MM

Stylus: 0.6mm Conical Bonded Diamond tip; Cantilever: Carbon fibre round tube; Tracking Force: 2.5 - 3.5 grams

Output Level: 4.2mV @ 5cm/sec. @ 1Khz; Frequency Range: 20 - 20Khz; Load Impedance: 47K ohm

Channel Balance: 1.5 dB; Channel Separation: 20dB @ 1Khz & 15dB @ 10Khz

2cm (H) x 3cm (L) x 1.6cm (W); Weight: 5,7g
audionut

United Kingdom

Postby Eugened » 22 Oct 2017 19:12

Long time no see... Well, my MP-200 on Sony keeps running well, and I am using it with the original rubber mat after trying some alternatives. I wanted to tell couple of things re Sony Hi-Res Recorder that is used to rip vinyl discs. First, with High Sierra update the Sony's Hi-Res Recorder doesn't work, looks like it does not live with the newest Apple file system. You can rip the song, but "Write To File" won't work (at least I tried on 2 Macs w/High Sierra). So either consider not to upgrade, or (if you a lucky) keep at least one Mac under El Capitan or Sierra. 2) I ended up using Tascam (free) hi-res recorder/editor to split songs and export them, rather than using Sony's recorder. So if you don't like putting tags and then do a manual editing of track info, Tascam does it well. It loads DSF, splits them and exports to the most of hi-res formats. DST-to-DSF worked fine for me.

Enjoy!
Eugened

Russia

Postby Eugened » 22 Oct 2017 19:24

One more observation... I am listening my Sony-ripped disks on A&K120II and Sony NW-WM1A, with Audeze iShine 20 and Sony XBA-N3, and compared the sound to same disk being purchased in hi-res stores. Well, this is my personal observation, but the sound quality of ripped material is just superb. My friend told me that Wallflower by Diana Krall I ripped sounded better than from the store.

However, and I am still trying to embrace this feeling... FLAC 24/192 sounds a bit wider and more analogue to me, compared w/DSD.
Eugened

Russia

Postby audionut » 23 Oct 2017 06:38

I use my Sony PS-HX500 with an IBM PC so I do not have your Mac problems. I use the Tascam software for editing sometimes but this does convert the DSD to PCM for editing and back again. This may affect sound quality but visit the PS Audio forum if you really want to go into the details. They make DSD equipment and they gat very technical in their replies.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Noel Keywood, a highly respected audio engineer and editor/publisher of Hi-Fi World magazine in the UK has done a very thorough test of the Sony and a follow up of his discussions with Sony and the result seems to be that the Sony does NOT record pure DSD on a Mac. PCM is sent down the USB link and converted from PCM to DSD in the Mac using the Sony software.

If you use an IBM PC or laptop pure DSD is sent via the USB link using the latest Sony software/driver. This may be affecting your view that PCM is better than DSD. I think pure DSD is more 'analogue' using an IBM PC and recording from the Sony with Sony software and NO editing, so staying in pure DSD all the time.

Try and get hold of or download Hi-fi World magazine, Sept 2017, page 83 and Nov 2017, page 65.
audionut

United Kingdom

Return to Sony