Need advice on Sony PS-FL77

make believe
kkl

Need advice on Sony PS-FL77

Post by kkl » 12 Aug 2016 21:07

The PS-FL77 has a 2-section tonearm, section A holds the stylus & section B connects to the TT's horizontal guide. I found the 2 sections of mine don't straighten up (or engaged) when the TT is powered on. When the start button is pressed, the tonearm moves over the LP with the stylus section moving freely and dragging behind slightly by its weight. When the stylus drops, the 2 sections get aligned in the right angle position and it appears to be normal when playing a record. When the stylus is lifted, again there is no engagement between the 2 sections, the stylus section bounces slightly (around 2-3 mm at the tip of the stylus) when parking to the start position. With the dragging, the drop-point becomes not precise when playing a record. I've leveled the turntable to the best I could yet the dragging still cannot be avoided. Before taking this to service, I would like to know if this is a norm or a machine fault as the TT can still play 12/7" vinyls correctly. Can someone with experience on this TT please help?

rread13

Re: Need advice on Sony PS-FL77

Post by rread13 » 13 Aug 2016 05:16

Welcome,

I own two Sony linear tracking tables myself the PS-LX500 and PS-LX520 they are essential the same internally except yours has the motorized front loading system.

Have you looked at the service manual and read through it? You might be able to make some headway yourself if you have some DIY tinkering skills. The first order of things to do if you get into this yourself is down load the manual if you have not. It's available here in the DATA BASE section.

If you can do some of the work yourself, your going to begin with taking the bottom off the turntable and clean and lube the moving parts per the manual, get a new square belt for the drive motor it's under $5. The upper rail assembly should be cleaned and a trace of oil applied to the rail, run the table and move the arm across from side to side a few times to make sure things are smooth and free. If not you may need to do a tear down and clean the arms brass bearing. If you have to do this you must be very careful you do not damage the very fine sensor tracing "fingers" I forget what Sony's technical name is for the part it's in the service manual but unattainable it you damage it. I know what your thinking now why does he have two identical tables? I bought the PS-LX520 as a back up or parts table if I could not straighten out my copper fingered position sensor. After much time and effort I did straighten it out and managed to get the arm to make the travel back and forth without any hitches.

The arm does have a couple of internal adjustments but if you are experiencing the needle drop not dropping to the lead-in of the record that adjustment is done not at the arm but in the underside rail assembly, and this is where things are risky if your not extremely careful and competent.

Most peoples tables work fine after they clean and lube and install a new arm drive belt.
My PS-LX500 gets used daily, in the evening before bed and in the morning getting going.

kkl

Post by kkl » 13 Aug 2016 19:56

Thanks rread13. I've read through the service manual and repaired a defective pilot light since getting this TT. The square belt has been replaced as well. There appears to be nothing wrong with the horizontal guide (upper rail) as the tonearm is running on it smoothly, well-oiled. The mechanics of this TT appears to be working fine as the 2-sectioned tonearm can move freely (and may be too freely). Taking apart the 2-sectioned tonearm is the last thing I would do given the miniature electronics underneath the hood and I can't guarantee I can better the machine. The question I've is whether or not there should be some sort of electronic magnetic force straightening up the 2 sectioned tonearm before the stylus is dropped. If this does not exist, I'd say the machine is working according to design and I just need to live with the imprecise drops. I'm still looking for someone with experience in this particular TT/tonearm to advise what's the proper behavior.

rread13

Post by rread13 » 14 Aug 2016 03:17

KKL,

Do you have a Drop Box account or even a better a You Tube account? I have used my You Tube account to upload a video I shot for a turntable I listed on Ebay. I'll take and shoot a video of my PS-LX500 in action and you can compare how this looks to yours in action.

Here are some still shots of the PS-LX500 arm from side and frontal views with my Shure M110HE body and a Pfanstiehl 4771-DE with the flip down guard removed for weight reduction, notice the arms VTA adjustment toward the back subtracting a 1/4 gram, this track at 1.25 grams and sounds unbelievable.
20160813_210953.jpg
PS-LX500 Arm Side view #1
(404.67 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
20160813_211030.jpg
PS-LX500 Arm Side view #2
(485.26 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
20160813_211126.jpg
PS-LX500 Arm Side view #3
(473.37 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
And a Youtube video:
https://youtu.be/WzOrPeREFNM

Hope this post helps you in determining tables potential issue?

Rick

rread13

Post by rread13 » 14 Aug 2016 14:41

kkl wrote:Thanks rread13. I've read through the service manual and repaired a defective pilot light since getting this TT. The square belt has been replaced as well. There appears to be nothing wrong with the horizontal guide (upper rail) as the tonearm is running on it smoothly, well-oiled. The mechanics of this TT appears to be working fine as the 2-sectioned tonearm can move freely (and may be too freely). Taking apart the 2-sectioned tonearm is the last thing I would do given the miniature electronics underneath the hood and I can't guarantee I can better the machine. The question I've is whether or not there should be some sort of electronic magnetic force straightening up the 2 sectioned tonearm before the stylus is dropped. If this does not exist, I'd say the machine is working according to design and I just need to live with the imprecise drops. I'm still looking for someone with experience in this particular TT/tonearm to advise what's the proper behavior.
KKL,
The question I've is whether or not there should be some sort of electronic magnetic force straightening up the 2 sectioned tonearm before the stylus is dropped.
After further investigations and reviews by the referee's: a football reference and pun.

1)You are correct our tables arms are different, your table has a more sophisticated electrical design and control system called the "Bio-tracer". My two tables do not have this design.

2) I do think your arm has a electrical circuit issue in that the arms horizontal and 90 degree vertical plane are not fully operating correctly.

In the service manual, I think the problem you have has the adjustments and details on page 18 bottom and 19 top.

Hopefully an experienced hobbyist or better electronics tech will step in and provide their experienced advice to help you.

If you have a good quality MM (multi meter) you might be able to check it out yourself?

kkl

Post by kkl » 14 Aug 2016 18:47

Thanks rread13. I'm attaching a video hoping someone with experience in this TT tonearm can tell what should be the proper behavior.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6bzo19mrtqyo ... 5.MOV?dl=0

kkl

Post by kkl » 06 Aug 2018 02:58

I picked this up after 2 years with a fresh mind. It was the horizontal board having problems, the magnetic coils were detached from the board. I disassembled the tonearm, stripped a string of wire from the detached magnetic coils, resoldered the wires and glued the detached coils with some epoxy to the horizontal board. The TT is now working fine again.

tonyferraro

Post by tonyferraro » 24 Aug 2018 08:50

I had a PS-LX510 that I tried to repair a while back. I broke off one of the tracing fingers that must keep track of where the arm is. Does anyone know if these can be repaired or how to find a replacement?

rsdrp

Post by rsdrp » 01 Sep 2019 19:03

kkl wrote:
06 Aug 2018 02:58
It was the horizontal board having problems, the magnetic coils were detached from the board.
Thank you so much for the good idea. I found the same problem. Unfortunately the coils wires were сut and I can't solder the coils. Are there any methods to fix the problem?