Sony PS 454 arm weights

make believe
Medved67

Sony PS 454 arm weights

Post by Medved67 » 15 Jun 2016 17:49

Hello, I am new to the forum and couldn't find anything for Sony PS 454 turntable, sorry if this has been discussed already.
I recently bought the whole Sony set, including turntable, amplifier, double cassette deck, all with original manuals. The only thing missing is arm weights, and I was unsuccessful looking for them on eBay etc. Would anyone have any suggestions on the source, have ones for sale, or have any information for it? Highly appreciated in advance!

Best,
Michael

GR Dori

Re: Sony PS 454 arm weights

Post by GR Dori » 18 May 2019 19:41

I have seen the Sony PS-454 in sales ads around the 'net, and from what I can see, it is an alternate model [number] of the Sony PS-LX2.
In 1981 the PS-LX2 was sold worldwide as a stand-alone component turntable.
When Sony wanted to sell a packaged system, the model numbers of the individual components are changed to indicate the package model number [like yours, sold within a pre-packaged system].
Or, in some cases, a brick-and-mortar retailer in the '80s wanted to sell a Sony turntable but a nearby competitor was beating them on price, Sony would offer the same unit but with an alternate model number [The Sony PS-LX2 at Tech Hi-fi for $89.99 vs. the Sony PS-454 at Sounds Great -3/4 mile down-the-road- for $94.99] Both models were essentially the same at both stores, but when competing and matching pri¢e, the model numbers have to match.

So, you need to search for info [your manual is here, at VE--> https://www.vinylengine.com/library/Sony/ps-lx2.shtml] and parts for your PS-454 by using the worldwide model number: PS-LX2. I Hope this Helps!

A little History:

In the '80s Sony was mass-producing turntables, in silver & black and selling them with several model numbers world-wide.
My main TT is a PS-LX5, Quartz-Locked, Direct Drive, Fully Auto, Remote capable - in the living room--yes, I can remotely start and stop it. It has the same Wow-and-Flutter, Signal-to-Noise Ratio [Rumble] and Speed accuracy specs of all the models above it made by Sony in 1981, including the PS-X800[.025%/-78dB/>.0003%-respectively].

In my office, I have a rebuilt Sony PS-350 [an alternate model of the PS-LX3, the PS-350 was sold in a pre-packaged system with a matched Receiver and Loudspeakers, it doesn't have synchro-record and remote control jacks of the PS-LX3 or PS-LX5].
I rebuilt the PS-350 with a motor/board assembly from a Sony PS-LX5.
When I got this turntable, I was able to get all of the auto functions performing perfectly [by removing all the -hardened/ear wax- factory applied brown lithium grease and replacing it with Super Lube -PTFE/Teflon grease], after trying for a week, the speed couldn't be stabilized so I bought a replacement motor for the PS-350 and chose a used motor from a PS-LX5. Though the circuit boards are different, the replacement dropped right in! This turntable is now outperforming it's original design. By replacing the faulty original motor with one from a PS-LX5, Quartz-Lock and Electromagnetic Braking are new features, not present in the original PS-350. The servo "locked" light now comes on and is steady, and speed is dead-on. Now, this TT is virtually the same as my LX5, only lacking the "Quartz Lock", "SPEED" and "REPEAT" indicator Light/LEDs [less "bling"]. I have also seen an alternate model of my PS-LX5, as a PS-550 from a seller in Japan. The German Wega Company [acquired by Sony in the '80s] made and sold the PS-LX3[PS-350] as the Wega P555.
--Sorry, a lot of History!
Sony PS-454.jpg
(31.73 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Sony PS-LX2.jpg
(140.99 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
PS-LX5.jpg
(152.48 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
PS-350.jpg
(101.63 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
-GRD