PS-X4

make believe
75Turntable

Re: PS-X4

Post by 75Turntable » 22 Dec 2017 18:36

Did you clean the contacts properly on all 4 sides? And did you check the wires?
Are you able to measure the wires just to be sure everything makes contact?
You can also check if all the wires are still connected between the circuit board and the speed sliding switch. There has to be a problem occurred due to the maintenance work that was done, especially if both speeds were functional before the maintenance was done.
And have you tried if the 33 speed functions when all is assembled like in my last pic posted, when the bracket is assembled back together but not yet screwed back into the plinth?
If things still remain the same, then it must be something else.
Take 1 step at the time, be careful and safe and try to eliminate everything you can come up with. Follow how the path the current should take.
And have you checked if the jumpers themselves aren't bend?

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 22 Dec 2017 20:36

75Turntable wrote:Did you clean the contacts properly on all 4 sides? And did you check the wires?
Are you able to measure the wires just to be sure everything makes contact?
You can also check if all the wires are still connected between the circuit board and the speed sliding switch. There has to be a problem occurred due to the maintenance work that was done, especially if both speeds were functional before the maintenance was done.
And have you tried if the 33 speed functions when all is assembled like in my last pic posted, when the bracket is assembled back together but not yet screwed back into the plinth?
If things still remain the same, then it must be something else.
Take 1 step at the time, be careful and safe and try to eliminate everything you can come up with. Follow how the path the current should take.
And have you checked if the jumpers themselves aren't bend?
Next attempt I plan to use my multi-meter to confirm contacts are closing. As I should have done from the beginning. #-o

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 23 Dec 2017 18:51

33 rpm is working again! Problem I discover is the copper jumpers inside the switch. First time working on it I somehow distort the little clips. Advice to others who intend to perform this service - handle these with care, they are fragile!

So finally I am able to make a test of suggested solution. I try an album I like (Robert Cray Strong Persuader) and pleased to report that both sides play through flawlessly. Previously within 5-10 minutes I am losing speed lock. It will take a few more hours before I am confident to declare total victory but this initial test is very promising.

But I am in for more surprises! Previously when I am using this table it is in manual mode only as arm return is not working. Today I am astonished to observe the arm automatically return to the rest at the end of each side. It has never done that before! :shock: The service gods smile upon me!

Thanks again for responding and sharing your expertise. I am delighted at the outcome.

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 23 Dec 2017 21:04

Legrace wrote:33 rpm is working again!
=D> Congrats!
Legrace wrote:Problem I discover is the copper jumpers inside the switch. First time working on it I somehow distort the little clips. Advice to others who intend to perform this service - handle these with care, they are fragile!
Indeed, that's why i told this earlier to be very careful with those [-X
Legrace wrote: Previously within 5-10 minutes I am losing speed lock. It will take a few more hours before I am confident to declare total victory but this initial test is very promising.
How are things now? Still loosing speed lock? If so, I think the platter or the magnet may be damaged or at least has something on it causing the problem.
Note; do not alter the magnet, it is set in a certain position at the factory, altering that can lead to malfunction!

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 23 Dec 2017 21:11

Oh right, for adjustment of the tonearm return function see page 14 of the service manual. Also, if you haven't done so already, you may wipe off old hardened grease and re-lube.
Again, nice to hear you've got the X4 working!

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 23 Dec 2017 22:38

How are things now? Still loosing speed lock? If so, I think the platter or the magnet may be damaged or at least has something on it causing the problem.
Perhaps you misconstrue my reply, sorry for not being clearer. What I mean is before I perform this procedure speed lock is failing after about 5-10 minutes. But now it is holding perfectly. =D> The result that is totally unexpected is how it also fix my auto return function! I am not understanding the reason, but it is working suddenly, it never work before.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 24 Dec 2017 13:00

I have accumulated more listening time and speed lock is still holding perfectly. (Auto return function is also still working - I must have bumped it loose while working on the speed switch)

While I am having my morning coffee and checking the computer is when I am normally using the Sony. I like to have some music playing in the background. Just like right now, it is nice to have it working again.

75Turntable, thank you again for taking time to explain how to fix the speed issue. :D

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 24 Dec 2017 20:26

You're most welcome
Enjoy and happy holidays to you

greetings,
Dan

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 01 Jan 2018 15:03

:x my hopes have been dashed, speed instability just returned. Maybe I need to also replace some caps, or clean additional spots? I'm comfortable with replacing electronic components, just no idea which ones are the most likely trouble makers. Further advice welcome...

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 01 Jan 2018 15:27

Hi, the best of wishes for 2018

Wow,that's unfortunate, sorry to hear that.
On mine I did a full recap, but I haven't played any records lately so if mine will stay stable is a bit uncertain. I assume you did not do a full recap on yours?
If not that could be a first step.

I have a Technics turntable which has a platter that stopped spinning all together and
the cause is all most certainly the IC that has gone bad.
This IC is the motor control of the turntable. The problem is that this particular IC is out of production and out of stock.
This could also be what is happening with the Sony, a bad IC that regulates the speed control. Don't know if these are still available though.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 01 Jan 2018 18:29

75Turntable wrote:Hi, the best of wishes for 2018

Wow,that's unfortunate, sorry to hear that.
On mine I did a full recap, but I haven't played any records lately so if mine will stay stable is a bit uncertain. I assume you did not do a full recap on yours?
If not that could be a first step.

I have a Technics turntable which has a platter that stopped spinning all together and
the cause is all most certainly the IC that has gone bad.
This IC is the motor control of the turntable. The problem is that this particular IC is out of production and out of stock.
This could also be what is happening with the Sony, a bad IC that regulates the speed control. Don't know if these are still available though.
Was hoping you'd be along, thanks for replying. Full recap sounds like the next step. By full I assume this means each and every cap? I see some pots that I assume could use cleaning as well. Time to roll up the sleeves again!

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 01 Jan 2018 20:32

I've just done some cleaning on pots a few minutes ago on another turntable, but they seem to be in need of replacement. Speed stays off the right rpm when trimming these pots, so I want to replace them altogether.
Cleaning yours is necessary because you want to eliminate every probable cause.

Concerning the capacitors, the electrolytes are the most important to swap. But on my table I took all caps out and replaced them for new ones.

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 01 Jan 2018 21:05

And are you sure you've cleaned the speed adjustment switch that we were talking earlier about thorough enough?

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 01 Jan 2018 21:18

75Turntable wrote:And are you sure you've cleaned the speed adjustment switch that we were talking earlier about thorough enough?
I cleaned it really well! I suspect caps as well because I have another issue with my strobe fading in and out. I have read elsewhere this is because of #C106 (electrolytic) going bad. If this one has failed presumably other electrolytic ones will need replacing as well. It is needing additional TLC!

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 07 Jan 2018 15:59

Checking the manual I come up with total of 11 electrolytic caps. I also see a tantalum cap which also probably should be replaced?

Also relating to this problem I recently came across a post on another forum where someone described connecting a couple relays to the speed switch. Interesting idea if all else fails.