PS-X4

make believe
75Turntable

Re: PS-X4

Post by 75Turntable » 07 Jan 2018 15:18

You could replace the tantalum, the trim pots can also be checked and/or replaced if they don't look good.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 11 Jan 2018 18:28

Delivery from Mouser couple days ago:
caps.JPG
(300.3 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
So today was recap day. Felt like I bodged a couple but not that bad apparently. ie she still fired up afterwards. :D

Initial results:

First of all strobe is working normally again. Previously it would fade in and out, and usually took several minutes before lighting up. Now working perfectly. Replacing C106 is the key for fixing intermittent strobe operation. Mine was leaking, was obviously well past its best before date.

First time powering for about a minute speed was all over the place but then all of a sudden the Xtal locked in. (new caps charging up?) Last few hours running stable. (listening to Guess Who right now) Although until I have at least a week under my belt not going to assume anything. Will follow up again in a few days.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 20 Jan 2018 12:53

Update: Have surpassed a week now with no more speed drop recurrences. Feeling pretty confident that replacing the 11 x eletrolytic caps in combination with the switch cleaning has finally nailed the issue. Thanks to all for the advice (in particular 75Turntable)
PSX4.JPG
(525.1900000000001 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Nice constant orange glow, also thanks to the recap :D

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 20 Jan 2018 13:27

\:D/
Thank you Legrace, and enjoy!!
You're welcome.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 30 Jan 2018 15:04

Nice job!

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 02 Feb 2018 15:43

Have listened to enough albums now to make me glad I invested the effort.

The DD system on this table is remarkably quiet; the only way to know the platter is spinning is if I look. Against my other tables TBH my expectations of the Sony were not set very high. Mainly I was looking for something for playing my less then perfect beater albums. But between the excellent drive system and an arm/cartridge combination that is proving surprisingly capable, well those old beaters are sounding pretty darn good!

The higher end models in this range I suspect must be very good indeed.

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 11 Nov 2018 18:26

Hi Legrace, everything still good on the X4? I have another patient waiting for surgery :) Same speed issue, slows down 1 or 2 sec. and speeds up again... Pretty common so it seems with these Sony's.

Also, I noticed, that the mechanics inside are in need of cleaning and re-lubricating. That is the issue with your auto return not functioning properly last time you wrote about your table. There is a piece in there that is so stuck it almost seems glued tight.
But be very careful servicing this mechanics as the points that the mechanism is mounted upon can be very fragile an break off the plinth. i had this happen with one of mine and now have to sort out how to re-attach the mechanism back again full functioning.
In another post elsewhere I've read that someone had successfully used Plastruct Weld to fix the same problem. Only thing is that that stuff isn't available anymore here :(
Back to the drawing board it is ...!

Dan

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 11 Nov 2018 22:08

75Turntable wrote:
11 Nov 2018 18:26
Hi Legrace, everything still good on the X4? I have another patient waiting for surgery :) Same speed issue, slows down 1 or 2 sec. and speeds up again... Pretty common so it seems with these Sony's.

Also, I noticed, that the mechanics inside are in need of cleaning and re-lubricating. That is the issue with your auto return not functioning properly last time you wrote about your table. There is a piece in there that is so stuck it almost seems glued tight.
But be very careful servicing this mechanics as the points that the mechanism is mounted upon can be very fragile an break off the plinth. i had this happen with one of mine and now have to sort out how to re-attach the mechanism back again full functioning.
In another post elsewhere I've read that someone had successfully used Plastruct Weld to fix the same problem. Only thing is that that stuff isn't available anymore here :(
Back to the drawing board it is ...!

Dan
Sadly no. @6 months working fine then suddenly speed issue manifests again. So it is currently out of rotation while I ponder should I keep and rework again, or sell. Wonderful sounding table but my patience is wearing thin.

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 12 Nov 2018 06:48

Sorry to hear that. I'm out of options for this problem. Strange to notice that the problem is gone for approx. 6 months and then reappears again. It's a pretty long period I think so it confuses me what the culprit could be in this one.
Last year you wrote that one speed setting was not working, and it turned out that it had to do with the cleaning that you've done earlier. Could it be that one of these little sliders became damaged or deformed?

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 12 Nov 2018 11:39

I suspect the speed pots simply need more attention. When I did the recap I sprayed them but never worked them back and forth per the common recommendation. And I can relate re return mechanism that feels glued tight, exactly how mine was. You do know your Sonys.

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 12 Nov 2018 12:16

Hi, there is also one more thing you can do. i never noticed it until now. This procedure is described in the service manual. If you read it carefully it is not difficult.
It is on page 16 of the service manual in the left upper corner there is the procedure that you could follow. Try to search the net (other forums has also some info on this) for more info on this topic if necessary or get back here.
My former treatment of the speed switch did not do the trick on my current X4. But I do have to admit that the X4 is in need of a recap and the service manual procedure on page 16 like I mentioned.
So I'm curious what will happen :)
Good luck

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 12 Nov 2018 13:31

It did the trick for me :mrgreen: I am so happy

I'm not sure how your circuit board looks like, but in these pictures I have taken a shot of the RV201 and the white wire that functions as the bridge that needs to be temporarily disconnected in order to set the correct speed in 33 or 45 rpm.
Hope that it brings some clarity.
Prior to setting the correct speed I also cleaned the RV201 with contact cleaner spray and turned it back and forth as you said. Afterwards I'd set speed with the white wire disconnected between position 8 and 9. The wire is just wrapped around it. Again, it shows how important it is to get the corrosion off :!:
Succes!
IMG_6263.JPG
(119.62 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
IMG_6264.JPG
(283.3 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
In the middle is potmeter, the RV201, with the white wire just beneath it
IMG_6265.JPG
(199.12 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 12 Nov 2018 13:46

Your guides are always excellent! Thanks!

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 19 Nov 2018 07:08

Here's my latest ... today a PS-X7 with the box, manuals, brochure, catalog, 2 magazine reviews. $20!!

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/6145/c5wdFB.jpg

Exhibits all the classic traits ... it's not locking on in either 33 or 45 ... strobe 'slips' constantly. Auto functions don't work. I hear the 'click-click-click' of the gears. Plus the interconnects and ground wire need replacing and the dust cover has taken a hit on one of the back corners and is cracked / partly broken. But for $20! And I picked it up not 5 minutes drive from my house.

I really have to spend some time on this one and get it up and running ... too many projects!

It's probably a good thing this came along in another way. Diverted my attention away from a PS-X700 on consignment in our local audiophile shop. Hmmm .... well ... maybe ... we shall see.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 01 May 2019 18:32

75Turntable wrote:
12 Nov 2018 12:16
Hi, there is also one more thing you can do. i never noticed it until now. This procedure is described in the service manual. If you read it carefully it is not difficult.
It is on page 16 of the service manual in the left upper corner there is the procedure that you could follow. Try to search the net (other forums has also some info on this) for more info on this topic if necessary or get back here.
My former treatment of the speed switch did not do the trick on my current X4. But I do have to admit that the X4 is in need of a recap and the service manual procedure on page 16 like I mentioned.
So I'm curious what will happen :)
Good luck

I recently gifted one of my tables to my daughter. Consequently interest in X4 is rekindled. I apply procedure above. Success, speed stability is restored!

Thank you for suggestion. :D