PS-X4

make believe
Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

PS-X4

Post by Van_Isle » 05 Jan 2016 07:40

A PS-X4 followed me home this past evening. It's not pristine, that's for sure and the speed varies once per revolution. Hope a clean and adjustment of pots is going to clear that up. I also found the magnet for the stop/start reed switch lying under the platter.

Empire NP/AC cart on it ... not something I'm too interested in (10mV output??).

More I look a this turntable the more I admire the design and build of it. I didn't realize until I picked it up ... 24 lbs.

Looking forward to finding out how it sounds. I've had PS-X60s before and currently have a PS-X55.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Re: PS-X4

Post by Van_Isle » 10 Jan 2016 07:57

Sorry ... Pickering not Empire.

I started running through the service manual adjustments. 1st issue. The B+ adjustment .... should be 14V. It's running ~22V and the trimpot has no (or very, very little) effect.

I should mention (and perhaps provide a warning to others) ... the transformer is only sitting there on rubber isolation mounts by gravity. So with the top plate off I tilted the turntable up on its side and the damn thing fell out! Don't think I did any damage and I don't think there are any screws missing there.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Jan 2016 08:02

Care to show a few pics there, Van Isle??? :-k No use keeping it to yourself! :mrgreen:

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 10 Jan 2016 08:19

Ha ha ... it's in pieces right now! But I'll see what I can do.

mannye

Post by mannye » 01 Mar 2016 02:39

I was reading that all the capacitors should be replaced. They are old enough to be out of range by now and that the speed issues might all be cleared up with this fix.

ramairintake

Post by ramairintake » 19 Mar 2017 16:42

Even after a full electrolytic recap, cleaning the speed adjustment trimpots reset the speed, I would randomly have the odd dropout. I wasn't too concerned about the strobe light dropping out intermittently. After deciding to open it up again going through the service manual again, there was a reading of 14v dc that was supposed to be had by adjusting the 14v trim pot. After doing some research on a foreign language website, someone had looked into it, replaced countless components to find out that the test points were wrong and that they were directly wired up to the power supply section. Instead he indicated that a 14v reading could be had from the negative side of Cap C104, adjusted it, and to my surprise even the strobe worked better, haven't had a random speed drop out so far. Will update later if problems persists.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 16 Nov 2017 00:23

The one below has followed me across several house moves over a couple of decades, from one damp basement to another. Gifted by a relative. Recently was motivated to see if it still worked at all. Thinking it would be nice to have an additional table to play my less then pristine albums.

Surprise #1 - XTAL system is still locking the speed perfectly. Left it on overnight and still perfect the next day and each time since then.
Surprise #2 - how silent the drive system is. Even with my ear almost touching the platter I do not hear anything. Have to look to see if the platter is spinning.
Surprise #3 - how well the arm performs. I'm thinking the stunted arm (8.5" effective) will impart some audible distortion, most likely some amount of IGD. Nada, albums sound equally good start to end.

Van Isle good luck with yours. Definitely worth the effort, this one is quite a bit better then I was expecting.
Attachments
sony psx4.jpg
(81.14 KiB) Downloaded 413 times

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 16 Nov 2017 01:30

ramairintake wrote:... Instead he indicated that a 14v reading could be had from the negative side of Cap C104, adjusted it, and to my surprise even the strobe worked better, haven't had a random speed drop out so far. Will update later if problems persists.
Missed this previously. I'm sorry to state I haven't gotten back to the turntable ... it's still sitting in pieces. So exactly, where am I connecting my multi-meter for adjustment?

Legrace ... thanks. Bit inspired to try and fire this one up again. Also I've acquired a PS-X6 ... and a pair of Sony APM-33 speakers (I've got square replacement foams for them) and a Sony STR-V5. Thought it might turn out to be an interesting setup.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 16 Nov 2017 02:09

Wow you're really into the Sony gear. If I understand correctly the X6 is fully auto whereas the X4 is semi but otherwise they are the same? I know when I opened up the X4 it was already complicated enough to give me pause. Auto return mechanism was seized due to old grease. At least the electronics were all fine. Can't imagine tackling a full auto mechanism.

The V5 receiver looks impressive. As far as the speakers interesting square woofers, now there is something you dont see every day!

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 16 Nov 2017 04:06

Yes full auto. And EVERY old Sony seems to have old grease issues. A PS-X60 I had even needed the tonearm disassembled to gain access to the anti-skate to clean out (skipped like a b****r - anti-skate was completely seized-up). THAT was a fun job! But once they are cleaned up ...

The APM-33s were painted a lovely burnt-orange colour by the PO. Hopefully the wood veneer is salvageable underneath.

I also have a Sony Sony TC-K71 3-head cassette deck and an early Sony CD player (model escapes me at the moment).

All need a bit of work.

ramairintake

Post by ramairintake » 17 Nov 2017 02:34

If I recall correctly, it is the 14v adjustment made on page 15 of the service Manual.
it's been a while since I've adjusted it. If you take a DC voltage reading between the leg of the capacitor and one of the test points as shown in the manual you should see a reading in the neighbourhood of 14v. I'm sorry I don't have more info. It's been quite a while.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 17 Nov 2017 03:32

Thanks .... I'll poke about a bit and try to report back.

ramairintake

Post by ramairintake » 17 Nov 2017 03:35

Van_Isle wrote:Thanks .... I'll poke about a bit and try to report back.
when in doubt always use a high impedance digital volt/multi meter. Especially with computers and integrated circuits!

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 19 Nov 2017 12:15

Arghh the joys of vintage gear. PS-X4 was working perfectly then suddenly today the speed started acting up. A glitch where it slows down for 1-2 secs, recovers for a short while, then repeats. :evil: Of course on a table this old should have known it was too good to be true that the electronics were still solid.

Had enough of a taste though that I'm willing to invest some additional effort. Besides a recap any other service tips relating to speed control that I should be aware of? Oh well needed a winter project, looks like I have one now. :lol:

75Turntable

Post by 75Turntable » 19 Dec 2017 19:20

Legrace wrote:Arghh the joys of vintage gear. PS-X4 was working perfectly then suddenly today the speed started acting up. A glitch where it slows down for 1-2 secs, recovers for a short while, then repeats. :evil: Of course on a table this old should have known it was too good to be true that the electronics were still solid.

Had enough of a taste though that I'm willing to invest some additional effort. Besides a recap any other service tips relating to speed control that I should be aware of? Oh well needed a winter project, looks like I have one now. :lol:
Hi!
Have you tried to clean out the speed adjustmentswitch?

Dan