Sony ps-lx510 tt

make believe
rocker53

Sony ps-lx510 tt

Post by rocker53 » 31 Dec 2015 14:08

I have 2 identical tt , the drive belts were done so changed them ,now it works but it won`t track on its own .I`ve lubed the travel shaft thinking that was the problem but no, if you push it slightly it will go on its own until it binds again.I know nothing about this linear tracking system ,can someone help.

kenny123

Re: Sony ps-lx510 tt

Post by kenny123 » 01 Jan 2016 03:23

Just saw a thread on the 510 in the Sony forum on here,it's on page 2 I believe,hope you get it sorted out,i'm sure there are some Sony experts there that can help you out.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 28 Aug 2019 18:13

Know this is an old thread, hope you've got your LX sorted. I'm posting here with some finer troubleshooting tips for future LX510 owners who are having the same problems.

Finally found a PS-LX510 at my price point :wink: =D>

Both Owners and Service manual are now here in the VE library

The same service tips apply on servo controlled motor driven tonearms, ie Technics.... etc.

1. Strip old and tired lubricants and greases and renew with more modern light synthetic lubricants, look for PTFE / Teflon
2. Replace tonearm drive belt

For the Sony in particular, found this on the back of the bottom cover:

Step #3 of the Tonearm Disassembly shows 2 screws which hold an electrode consisting of 2 contact patches made up of 4 fine fingers. Refer to the Tonearm Reassembly diagram, these electrodes make contact with the upper portion of the guide track of the tonearm carrier.

Thought my LX510 was dead, the only lights that went on was the record detection lamp and the speed selector LED. Lifted the tonearm carrier slightly and began to feel the motor turn so helped the tonearm carrier in the direction it was commanded to go. With the tonearm in the home / rest position, the Start button worked and the platter started to spin. It was clear that the electrode was not making contact with the roof of the guide channel.

My electrode had one crushed set of 4 fingers making contact area of 2 fingers. Both sets were bent slightly down. Carefully separated the fingers and bent both sets of fingers up to make sure they made contact with the strip on the top of the tonearm guide channel. This is important as it lets the "brain" know / feedback the position of the tonearm in order to control the servo motor driving the tonearm.

So if you've done 1 and 2 above and the tonearm is still not responding as should, make sure all the comb like electrodes are touching the top of the tonearm guide channel illustrated in the Tonearm Reassembly picture.

If your belt has totally disintegrated, you will have to manually turn the motor pulley so that the tonearm carrier returns to the home / rest position allowing the brain to reset the logic.

The next most helpful in restoring the LX510 was to drive the tonearm motor several times in both directions using a 9V battery. Even with a loose belt, the speed of the turning motor allowed study of the drive system along with loosening up the old and tired lubes. Easy to accomplish after releasing the wires from the quick connector.

After performing the above, was able to play several sides before tonearm skipping. The LX sounds wonderful with an Ortofon TM w/ 20 styli. Have a couple of belts on order, so anticipating a fully functioning LX510 when replaced.

HTH

Fred

Gearhead388
United States of America

Post by Gearhead388 » 08 Sep 2019 16:49

Fred that's excellent info on a great table- I went round and round with mine and the contacts on mine were also bent slightly(how?) But after a few hours mine would randomly stop tracking unless I powered it off and back on. I think I'm gonna find a leaky cap on that board when I get back to it.

Gearhead388
United States of America

Post by Gearhead388 » 08 Sep 2019 16:51

Edit- mine is a 520 but the same basic table