Sony PS-FL7II turntable problem

make believe
BillWojo
United States of America

Sony PS-FL7II turntable problem

Post by BillWojo » 29 Dec 2014 01:11

Picked up a Sony PS-FLII turntable today for 10 bucks at the GoodWill. I had checked it out and knew that it wasn't working but figured it was worth a gamble as it's pretty cool.
Here is what it does do.
Powers on and I can send the tray/platter out. I load a record and hit play. The tray goes back in and the arm moves to the left or end of play point.
Here is what it doesn't do.
Yellow light on end of arm never lights up, table never starts spinning and the head cartridge never moves down .
I do see the 2 red leds are lit for automatically sensing record size.
I removed the top cover and could not see anything wrong, the platter spins freely, head cartridge moves side to side and up and down by hand.
Does anybody have any experiance servicing these and could point me in the right direction?
Thank you

BillWojo

Jonathryn

Re: Sony PS-FL7II turntable problem

Post by Jonathryn » 01 Jan 2015 19:52

Does the size selector light work?

Jonathryn

Post by Jonathryn » 01 Jan 2015 19:53

That is to say, is there a light inside the cabinet that casts light on the platter?

BillWojo
United States of America

Post by BillWojo » 02 Jan 2015 02:44

Hi Johnthryn. The only lights that light up inside of the enclosue are the 2 leds for sensing the record size. The light on the tonearm, the yellow light, never comes on. The only other lights that work are on the front panel.
Is there a light that illuminates the record when it's operating? That would be cool.
Thanks

BillWojo

Jonathryn

Post by Jonathryn » 02 Jan 2015 03:04

I'm not familiar with this particular model, but the other linears have a light inside. The sensors underneath the platter sense whether it's a 7" or 12" and adjust the speed accordingly. I think it may not start if there's nothing on the platter, as a means of saving your needle. But there might be another, different problem. There are a lot of fine wires underneath and on at least one of mine a tiny wire pinged off from its connection. Another culprit is worn or dirty button contacts, which can sometimes be fixed with a judicious and minute amount of deOxit. A lot of people like to change capacitors, since they're getting old, and that may help. Hard to diagnose without having it in front of you.

BillWojo
United States of America

Post by BillWojo » 02 Jan 2015 04:41

Thanks Johnathryn. I have a friend that has one also with a different problem. He is going to try and see if he can fix mine, possibly using parts from his unit. The sensing lights I figured out my self. I suspect that it's something like a failing PS due to caps causing voltage problems to the logic end of the unit.
This is my first "real" TT and was a very modest investment. I hope we can get it working as it is really high up there in the cool factor.
Thanks for your help.

BillWojo

Kingpig

Post by Kingpig » 20 Jan 2015 07:27

I recently pulled out my Sony PS – FL7 I I, I purchased it in the early 80s and haven't used it in about 18 years. I have recently completed work on my home entertainment center and wanted to add the record player so I can play some old albums and show my kids. Everything looks like it works but when I press start the arm does not move. At one time I needed to replace the belts that help move the arm and was wondering if they are still available to purchase.

Jonathryn

Post by Jonathryn » 20 Jan 2015 20:56

I think Turntablebasics has them.

adnadeau

Post by adnadeau » 05 Mar 2016 15:26

Re: the yellow tonearm light, it's in series with the tracking sensor in the tone arm head. I recently uploaded the service manual for this, so you can now trace out the circuit.
Re: the tonearm drive belt. I just spent several hours on line trying to get more information on this. It seems it is 2.6" IC x 0.046" TH, PRB part number SCX2.6, which is available from a lot of on-line retailers. Both the major suppliers of turntable belts & idlers, PRB & EVG, are part of Russell Industries (russellind dot com.

Jaxonq

Post by Jaxonq » 01 Feb 2018 12:49

I have also pulled my Sony PS-FL7 II out of storage and it works alright. I have run into a similar problem, except all the lights work fine. So all that isn't working is that table its self won't turn and the arm travels to the end of play point to the left and won't drop at all.
I have checked all the wiring to the best of my ability, any suggestions would be great. This turn table means a lot.