trying to get the most out of my pre-amp

make believe
unification02

Post by unification02 » 06 May 2006 03:23

I've had a turntable for a couple years now but just recently got serious about it. I used to have this battery powered Radio Shack pre-amp, but I just got a McLelland RIAA-80 pre-amp and when I turn it up real loud I still get hum/buzz like a bass buzz. My ground wire is connected to one of the screws on the bottom of :?: my turntable (it's a Sony direct drive ps-t1....i got it off of a friend and it looks like the ground lead was maybe ripped out) and of course the pre-amp has a ground lead. I'm running it through a Sony str-de185 reciever and Sony ss-mf650h floor speakers. Is there any way I can inprove my sound without spending a whole lot?

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by Blue Angel » 06 May 2006 10:18

Hi 02

Could there be a mysterious earth loop? What happens if you remove the added on earth wire from under the tt? Still 'buzzing'? If you have a multimeter, set it to 'continuity', touch the arm and the place where you added the earth wire. If these two places do not have continuity, I suggest you try to run your earth wire from the arm bearing tube inside the plinth.

Post to let us know what happens.

Cheers

Blue

Yiangos-T

Post by Yiangos-T » 06 May 2006 16:09

You can also try to move away the pre-amp from your receiver. if i got this correctly,you are using your pre-amp as a pre-amp and the receiver as a power amp.The phono stage of your pre-amp(all phono stages for that matter) don't feel happy when they are sitting close to power supplies.

unification02

Re: trying to get the most out of my pre-amp

Post by unification02 » 06 May 2006 20:56

It's all good I fixed it. All I had to do was move the pre-amp a little out of the way of the receiver and tighten the ground connects real tight and it is as smooth as butter. Thanks for your suggestion though.