Sony pua 286 tonearm

make believe
bastlnut
long player
long player

Sony pua 286 tonearm

Post by bastlnut » 22 Mar 2006 08:01

hallo,

i just recieved a new/used Sony pua 286 tonearm with the manual and installations diagram. traded for it, and i must say.....it is nice! :mrgreen:
the bias string has broke off the cam, but should not be much trouble fixing that. i will have to start looking for a bajonet plug for the arm cable, as i do not think the Sony cable is that good and want to male my own anyways.

i happened to buy a extra headshell off ebay, so now i have 2 and can switch cartridges easily. though not as easy to adjust (VTA, VTF, azimuth) as with my graham, but this will not detract me from swapping headshells and cartridges.

does anyone have any helpful hints in regards to the bias string? that is before i start on it out of impatience.

regards,
bastlnut

Post by Guest » 22 Mar 2006 08:44

what sort of hints regarding the bias string ?

replacement material or methods of attachment ?

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 22 Mar 2006 09:04

hallo,

the string is still there, just separated at the cam side. oops, the string also broke at the control side now. is it just run through the dial housing and through the guides next to the lift mech. and then glued to the cam? and i guess it is sewing thread?

thanks and regards,
bastlnut

Post by Guest » 22 Mar 2006 10:55

The original could be sewing thread.

I've seen many arms that use fishing line for the bias weight.

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Sony pua bias weight thread

Post by Blue Angel » 22 Mar 2006 22:16

Hi bastlnut

Applying some Swiss thrift and lateral logic, you may find some very fine (2.5kg breaking strain) nylon fishing line discarded on a harbour jetty somewhere on the Swiss coast discarded by an angler. This is my surefire way to find this kind of bias line free of charge.

No coastline? Still no problem. Go to places where recreational lake fishermen do their thing. There are usually metres of discarded line lying around these spots, yours for free.

Blue