Need help with speed problems on Sony PS-X60

make believe
njm
Scotland

Need help with speed problems on Sony PS-X60

Post by njm » 21 Mar 2006 20:39

I bought a Sony PS-X60 recently, and for two weeks it behaved perfectly. Over the last couple of days, it has developed a tendency to 'wobble' on 33.3, and consistently run 'off' at 45 (strobe heading right...). But sometimes it locks onto speed and stays there perfectly. I've hunted around, and the only relevant info I can find relates to a PS-X65 with unremoved transit screws - my deck has none.
My question is: Is this likely to be a mechanical problem of some sort? Or am I looking at failing electronics?
I have checked the 'magnetic strip' inside the platter - looks OK, and the reader head is securely mounted The only hint I have of anything wrong is that the arm area smells suspiciously of machine oil. Suggestions?

Post by Guest » 23 Mar 2006 10:28

Hi,

Check the time the platter free wheels. If its short oil the bearing / DD motor.

jazzjens

Post by jazzjens » 23 Mar 2006 14:38

Hi njm,

check out the service manual for the Sony PS-X7 in the library.
There is a little procedure "turntable speed adjustment" on page 17. Maybe it could be the same for the X60. You have to deactivate the X-Tal-Lock first, then to trim with the "speed"-poti to the correct speed, then to reactivate the x-tal-lock as described.
This perfectly solved similar speed-problems on my two PS-X7s.

Good luck,
Jens

njm
Scotland

Post by njm » 23 Mar 2006 16:18

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give those a try this evening and report back!

Neil

njm
Scotland

Post by njm » 23 Mar 2006 19:41

OK, I've got the t'table upside down in front of me. Unfortunately the PCB layout is quite different from the X-6/7, and I can't find the wire to disable the Xtal lock. There is one 'white wire', but it's next to the gain/offset adjusters, and on a set of pins identical to the ones in the manual, so I guess that's the one to disconnect for the gain adjustments. I've had a twiddle with the speed adjusters, and it is possible to get the speed to change, so I think I'm going to leave it for now, and see if anyone can conjure up a service manual for this model.

Thanks for the help

Neil