Sony PS-FL77

make believe
Post Reply
betteronvinyl
Posts: 2
Joined: 25 Apr 2012 17:48
Location: Yoxford, Suffolk, England

Sony PS-FL77

Post by betteronvinyl » 21 Dec 2012 10:55

After reading the manual for the Sony PS-FL77 I am non the wiser as to how adjust the damper when the stlyus drops. It just drops like a stone! Any help would be appreciated. Apart from that everything works as it should.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 7734
Joined: 05 Aug 2004 07:51
Location: CT, US

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by fscl » 21 Dec 2012 16:34

betteronvinyl wrote:After reading the manual for the Sony PS-FL77 I am non the wiser as to how adjust the damper when the stlyus drops. It just drops like a stone! Any help would be appreciated. Apart from that everything works as it should.
Welcome to VE...... :)

IIANM, this turntable is fitted with a BioTracer tonearm...... :) I've got one too so this topic was the excuse to see / study how dampening / slow cueing was done...... :-k :-k From the exploded diagrams, the lowering is done by vertical drive motors, in other words, electronically...... :-k

I cannot ascertain from the service manual if the Sony cartridge is proprietary ie B & O or standard T4P aka P-mount. What cartridge do you have mounted on the tt...... :-k

There are a few possibilities for fast cue / drop that come to mind:

1. The mounted cartridge is P-Mount and out of spec, so it may be heavier than the vertical drive motor can handle. I have an X555es and had a Pickering XV-15 D 625 mounted with brush. I balance the arm without the brush, dial in the VTF and then reattach the brush (1Gr). The cue was a bit fast to my liking..... :? Recently, I've mounted a Shure V-15 Type II to test out / listen to a newly acquired replacement stylus and balanced and adjusted VTF accordingly. The drop / cue rate is much better..... :) and on top of everything, the cartridge sounds very nice...... :D :D
2. The adjustments shown on the exploded tonearm drive are out of spec. Tolerences are fine and if the drive board is too far away, it perhaps cannot exert the force needed to slow the drop / provide dampening.
3. The vertical Biotracer drive circuit is not working at all, whereby more sophisticated electrical troubleshooting is required.

I haven't read through the circuit diagrams in detail so that's all for right now.

Good luck.

Fred

betteronvinyl
Posts: 2
Joined: 25 Apr 2012 17:48
Location: Yoxford, Suffolk, England

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by betteronvinyl » 22 Dec 2012 12:53

Hi Fred, thanks for your detailed reply. The deck was bought by me from new! so the cart and stylus are the original spec, Sony XL 2500 written on the head, although the stylus has been replaced with the same. Sorry for my ignorance but is VTF vertical tracking force? It seems like it can't be adjusted which is a same because it almost makes it unusable.

Thanks again for your help

Chris

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 7734
Joined: 05 Aug 2004 07:51
Location: CT, US

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by fscl » 23 Dec 2012 21:31

betteronvinyl wrote:Hi Fred, thanks for your detailed reply. The deck was bought by me from new! so the cart and stylus are the original spec, Sony XL 2500 written on the head, although the stylus has been replaced with the same. Sorry for my ignorance but is VTF vertical tracking force? It seems like it can't be adjusted which is a same because it almost makes it unusable.

Thanks again for your help

Chris
With Sandy Hook, normal holiday bustle and procrastination on gifts, been a bit busy getting back on this.

VTF, yes, this is Vertical Tracking Force.

Stock cartridge and stylus replacement, excellent.... =D> =D> =D> as Sony probably designed this specially for the turntable...... :D

How does the tonearm do on vertically warped LPs...... :-k :-k No problems in tracking..... :?: Forgot that my Mediski, Martin and Wood - End of The World Party (Just In Case) LP had a warp and even though, played on the X555es with no problem..... :)

Take a look at page 20, 21 and 22 of 41 of the service manual. I suspect the vertical offset adjustment should be checked on page 20, RV 201, and it looks easy enough to do.

Hopefully, tweaking this variable resistor (pot) should bring vertical drive / servo control back in spec.

Good luck and check / clean any quick connectors on the drive board.

Fred

mjmahon623
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 Sep 2008 21:13
Location: New York, NY

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by mjmahon623 » 02 Jan 2013 21:24

I have this exact same problem, and have been dealing with it for at least a couple years, coming across nothing until now. The issue with mine however, is that my PS-FL77 had been in perfect working condition in the first year that I owned it, up until I moved apartments and presumably it got damaged. Normally, I too would expect this to be an electronic issue, but I can't imagine how a circuit board would all of a sudden get weirdly adjusted like this during a move. Fred, when you say "check/clean any quick connectors," where might you suggest I look for those? Do you think the vertical offset could've gotten out of whack that easily just from moving the turntable around? My cartridge is not stock, it's a Shure M92E, but again, it had been working just fine for about a year.

-Mike

Update: I did just take off the cartridge and having less weight does in fact help keep the tonearm up in a normal position. Could it in fact be the problem with the cartridge?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada
Posts: 23160
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 03:24
Location: North of Toronto, Canada

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by Alec124c41 » 02 Jan 2013 22:01

Have you rebalanced the tonearm?

Cheers,
Alec

mjmahon623
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 Sep 2008 21:13
Location: New York, NY

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by mjmahon623 » 02 Jan 2013 22:30

Alec124c41 wrote:Have you rebalanced the tonearm?

Cheers,
Alec
From what I can tell, the balancing on this particular turntable is done all electronically via the onboard "sensors."

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 7734
Joined: 05 Aug 2004 07:51
Location: CT, US

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by fscl » 03 Jan 2013 04:16

mjmahon623 wrote:I have this exact same problem, and have been dealing with it for at least a couple years, coming across nothing until now. The issue with mine however, is that my PS-FL77 had been in perfect working condition in the first year that I owned it, up until I moved apartments and presumably it got damaged. Normally, I too would expect this to be an electronic issue, but I can't imagine how a circuit board would all of a sudden get weirdly adjusted like this during a move. Fred, when you say "check/clean any quick connectors," where might you suggest I look for those? Do you think the vertical offset could've gotten out of whack that easily just from moving the turntable around? My cartridge is not stock, it's a Shure M92E, but again, it had been working just fine for about a year.

-Mike

Update: I did just take off the cartridge and having less weight does in fact help keep the tonearm up in a normal position. Could it in fact be the problem with the cartridge?
I don't think you've damaged anything unless the unit was really wacked.... :shock:

However, if you do move things around, the change in environment can effect electronics. The garage receiver was fine over the summer, however, had some music on during an oil change the other day and the volume pot was not contacting on the right channel and I thought it went bad but some quick rotations back and forth brought back the sound.... :shock: :? :?

So after looking at the diagrams, I was thinking that the pot used to adjust the vertical motor may need some tweaking / movement to bring back the vertical drive motor....... :-k :-k [-o<

In relation to the quick connectors, I'm speaking from my experience with Technics linears. It's much like internal computer wiring with wiring connectors and pins. I spray / wet the pins and connectors with contact cleaner. I don't remember the internal wiring of my X555es, however, if there is one connector that has the tonearm phono leads and also contains the leads to the vertical and horizontal drive motors, try cleaning using contact cleaner on the connector where it plugs into the circuit board (if there is one).

Regarding the update, it seems that the vertical motor is working just not strong enough to lower the cartridge gradually. This does sound like a dirty pot. ie like my volume control, the right channel was weak.

Good luck

Fred

mjmahon623
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 Sep 2008 21:13
Location: New York, NY

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by mjmahon623 » 03 Jan 2013 05:12

I don't think you've damaged anything unless the unit was really wacked....

However, if you do move things around, the change in environment can effect electronics. The garage receiver was fine over the summer, however, had some music on during an oil change the other day and the volume pot was not contacting on the right channel and I thought it went bad but some quick rotations back and forth brought back the sound....

So after looking at the diagrams, I was thinking that the pot used to adjust the vertical motor may need some tweaking / movement to bring back the vertical drive motor.......

In relation to the quick connectors, I'm speaking from my experience with Technics linears. It's much like internal computer wiring with wiring connectors and pins. I spray / wet the pins and connectors with contact cleaner. I don't remember the internal wiring of my X555es, however, if there is one connector that has the tonearm phono leads and also contains the leads to the vertical and horizontal drive motors, try cleaning using contact cleaner on the connector where it plugs into the circuit board (if there is one).

Regarding the update, it seems that the vertical motor is working just not strong enough to lower the cartridge gradually. This does sound like a dirty pot. ie like my volume control, the right channel was weak.

Good luck

Fred


Thanks a ton, Fred. Before I saw your reply, however, I opened up the bottom panel to reveal the System Control Board. What I found was that the stylus force module (RV206) was indeed physically busted. Broken completely off on one side. I jimmied it back into place (I don't have a soldering iron on me to fully fix) and now the tonearm seems to be level and back in its proper place. Unfortunately, I am now dealing with a mechanical issue (the tray won't close - it was never perfect but used to be functional), so I'm unable to test... This is quite a fickle machine!

Once I've fixed that issue, if I'm still having the tonearm problem, I'll inspect the motor as you suggested. Again, thanks a ton for your help.

actaman
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 Jan 2011 01:01
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by actaman » 08 Feb 2013 18:45

Having trouble with my fl77: When you press play, the arm moves into position nicely, drops at a good tempo, but plays about 1/4 of the way thru the record and just stops. Same thing when you engage the "arm transport" buttons; moves back and forth just fine, until it reaches that exact point. It's not jamming, it just stops there as if that's where it's meant to stop. Any thoughts?

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 7734
Joined: 05 Aug 2004 07:51
Location: CT, US

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by fscl » 08 Feb 2013 20:19

actaman wrote:Having trouble with my fl77: When you press play, the arm moves into position nicely, drops at a good tempo, but plays about 1/4 of the way thru the record and just stops. Same thing when you engage the "arm transport" buttons; moves back and forth just fine, until it reaches that exact point. It's not jamming, it just stops there as if that's where it's meant to stop. Any thoughts?
Does the tonearm pick up, return to rest position and the platter brake engages? Is this what you mean by stop? or does it stop dead on the LP.

Either say, I would concentrate on the proper operation of the tonearm position board - S1 (see page 24 of 41 for physical location) and trace this through to the circuit diagrams. Somewhere / somehow this is initiating premature tonearm pick up / shut off.

Good luck and welcome to VE..... :)

Fred

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada
Posts: 23160
Joined: 28 Oct 2002 03:24
Location: North of Toronto, Canada

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by Alec124c41 » 10 Feb 2013 01:33

Since that is a linear tracker, look at the track. It might need cleaning.
There is a service manual in the library: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/Sony/ps-fl77.shtml

Cheers,
Alec

actaman
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 Jan 2011 01:01
Location: Miami, Florida

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by actaman » 10 Feb 2013 08:46

Thanks so much for your replies. Sadly, I think I have killed this TT. Oh, well. It was in pretty bad shape to begin with. Onward and upward!

MacMinder
Posts: 1
Joined: 15 Feb 2012 22:28

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by MacMinder » 16 Apr 2013 23:54

Hello
I have seen the Head line Sony PS-FL77 and hope to be at the right Place.

At my PS-FL77 is the lamp for size-detection defect. Well it dosn't light. In the Service-Manual I found the item is called "PL901". Does anyone knows the electrical values of this part? I guess it's the Lamp.

gortonandy
junior member
junior member
Posts: 7
Joined: 28 Apr 2007 19:28

Re: Sony PS-FL77

Post by gortonandy » 18 Jul 2019 00:03

The arm lowering too quick is a bad cap in my experience. This TT is very easy to destroy by recapping so must be done two or three at a time then re-assemble & re-test. The arm wires also are very fragile so great care must be taken not to tear them - this can cause bizarre behaviour. The lamp is an 8 volt 50 milliamp filament bulb of 4.1 mm diameter. They often turn up on ebay. The arm belt can be replaced with a coloured children's "Loom band". They are soft silicone rubber and absolutely ideal for the job as they absorb the rather violent arm movements.

Post Reply