I am finally getting my late 1960's Sony PS3000A back into

make believe
Dick Schneiders

I am finally getting my late 1960's Sony PS3000A back into

Post by Dick Schneiders » 23 Dec 2005 23:16

service again, and I have a couple of general questions.

What is a good substance to use to clean and shine up a grimy, dull old chrome tone arm? Are there any metal cleaners I should avoid? This arm is the Sony PUA 286, a nice 12" arm.

This Sony came on a large custom walnut base (24" by 18") and since I have it all apart right now, I was wondering if there is anything I should fill up the empty areas in the base with to help dampen it. I have never done anything like this to any turntable, so don't have a clue what to use. I don't really want to experiment with something where I need to take it apart every time.

Would foam rubber help? Stuff it with cloth towels? Heavy bricks? Anything?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Dick Schneiders

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 23 Dec 2005 23:30

Dick, this is just guessing, ok? You know that SME build their turntables with materials of the highest possible density which are practicable for the home. Maybe you could try a similar approach. I personally would not put in some cotton towels, because they can conceivably be a nursing home for buggy creatures...analogous to long-fiber wool in transmission line speakers...gotta put some mothballs inside them once in a while. Just guessing...of course.

Dick Schneiders

Post by Dick Schneiders » 24 Dec 2005 19:39

I put three pictures of this Sony 3000 turntable in the Gallery today. I haven't completed the resurrection, and did not yet put anything inside of the base to dampen it. The base is so large (24" X 18") that there is a lot of empty space that probably could use something.

I still need to figure out how to fix it so that the heavy walnut and glass lid can be left up without being held. I have a couple of small chains that are coming up from underneath that I will somehow attach to the inner sides of the top. You can see these in the pictures if you look closely - they are taped to the edges of the plinth.

I also want to change the bearing oil of this "new" platter housing as I don't know what is in it or how old it is.

Thanks for the suggestion for dampening the base,

Dick Schneiders

delcam1n0
long player
long player

Post by delcam1n0 » 27 Dec 2005 12:16

Hello Mr Schneiders,

Have a look at http://www.goddards.com for some
options and metal cleaning advice as to how
to try and clean your chrome PUA.

They offer a "Mr Metal Wipes" which seems to be
well-suited for chrome. ( Didn't even know that that
existed ! ) So way back I cleaned a not too grimy
SME 3012 with their Goddard Silver Care Cloth
which really worked miracles. Afterwards I used
a clean micro-fiber cloth (for eyeglasses) to get
rid of whatever goodies were impregnated into
the silver cloth (It still felt slightly greasy after
the last buffing application)

Although from your pics the PUA looks near mint
you may well first need to give it a careful wash with
a very mild detergent and soft brushes to get rid and
or dissolve major muck before doing the Metal/Silver/
Microfiber polishing cloth bits.

Good luck!
delcam1n0

Dick Schneiders

Post by Dick Schneiders » 27 Dec 2005 12:54

Thanks for the link and suggestion on what to use to clean my Sony PUA 286 tone arm. I did spend quite a bit of time carefully cleaning it with cotton swabs dipped into 99% pure Isopropyl Alcohol. I was very careful to stay away from the bearings area.

I will order some of what you suggested. I have two SME 3009 series II arms that could use some cleaning, so this should be very helpful to me.

I appreciate the help,

Dick Schneiders

Dave_2002

Post by Dave_2002 » 27 Dec 2005 20:24

Dick,

On the cleaning, chrome is pretty inert so not much will damage it. I use Brasso for most things chrome but you can buy Barman's Friend which does the same job and is especially designed for guilded and chromed items. However, best of all is just a bit of baking soda on a damp cloth - it's just abrasive enough to take the tarnish off the chrome and won't do it any damage!

With regard to damping the insides - it's probably recommended going with the Garrard/Goldring plinth design theories. Best suggestion might be to talk to your local recording studio suppliers and ask for some acoustically dead foam (for sound proofing) and use that inside the plinth to break up any standing waves. It's dirt cheap (maybe $10 for all you will need) and you can mess around with the configuration to change the sound.

Cheers Dave