PS- 3300 Platter keeps spinning, won't power off.

make believe
Dave Doudlas

PS- 3300 Platter keeps spinning, won't power off.

Post by Dave Doudlas » 12 Jun 2012 14:48

Hello to all,
We picked up a very nice PS-3300. I had to lube the return linkage and now it works well, returns properly to the tone arm holder but then the platter keeps turning, won't shut off. I'm thinking it's the micro power switch that is operated by the lever brake assy. I'm going to check for continuity through the switch this morning.
I'm hoping that it is the problem but not looking forward to removing the switch for repair or replacement. So easy to break stuff on these old things.
Have any of you folks had to deal with this sort of problem? I would greatly appreciate any thoughts that you have on this.
Thanks, Dave

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: PS- 3300 Platter keeps spinning, won't power off.

Post by josephazannieri » 12 Jun 2012 15:27

Yo Dave Doudlas:

Ran into a similar problem on my kid sister's Dual CS 505. In her case, the unit would not turn on. The reason was that the microswitch linkage had been gummed up with old lubricant that had turned into a German variation of Garrard Gorilla Snot.

I cleaned the switch and the linkages, and when they were loosened properly, it began to work fine. It occurs to me that in your case, the sticky lubricant may be holding your microswitch in the "on" position, rather than the "off" position.

And good luck from that sticky old guy,

Joe Z.

Dave Doudlas

Post by Dave Doudlas » 12 Jun 2012 16:06

Thank you Joe!
Glad to hear from you. I'm thinking the same thing. I'll let you know what I find out.
Got to tinker around with the old Sherwood 7100a receiver that won't power up first though, so it will be a while. I think the problem with the Sherwood is in the notorious Power/volume switch. Should be fun to take apart.
Later,
Dave

wotdog

Post by wotdog » 19 Jul 2012 17:03

Hiya Dave,,i have just restored a Sony ps3300 myself,,it wasnt easy mate especially the micro switch positioning which is what you need to fix on yours,,if you download the manual off vinylengine it will show you in pic3 that the switch has to be positioned at a gap of 1 sixteenth.Do NOT adjust the tonearm screw or you will be screwed in setting it all up again,,if you need anymore help leave me your email address and i can send you pics of it all,,,John :)

wotdog

Post by wotdog » 19 Jul 2012 21:04

Sorry my mistake it has to be 1/64 gap

markstem

Post by markstem » 08 Feb 2013 15:40

I have a similar problem with it not powering down so if you do manage to fix it I would be very interested in hearing how.
Also, does anyone know how to adjust the automatic return? I have a few records that cut out at the end because the arm returns before the song is finished. Any thoughts?

machiavelli976

Post by machiavelli976 » 28 Mar 2013 12:02

Hello to everyone !
I'm happy to find you 'cause I'm having a little problem with a 3300 given to fix by a friend of mine.

The guy says there's no auto back up to the arm and when I've removed the plate I've seen the axis gear is missing.

After measurements i decide it was an almost 20 mm diameter wheel with 21 to 24 teeth .
Can anyone of you tell me the right number ? I rather make one instead looking for the genuine .

Thank's in advance ,

Mach.

Please forgive me for the offtopic .

vonchowder

Post by vonchowder » 28 Jan 2014 18:52

I had the same issue with my 3300.

I found this thread and finally decided to open it up yesterday.

Turns out that the microswitch and tonearm return linkage was gummed up with old lubricant that had turned sticky. I cleaned that up with some DeoxIT and the linkage arms started sliding freely. That was the first step.

I tried getting the microswitch mechanism working but was failing. The key was to get the tonearm return working first; making sure the arm would go all the way to end of lp before coming back to rest in the holder. Next, I was able to adjust the microswitch screw and it worked! Note that you must allow the tonearm to complete a full return and drop down on the rest before it will properly activate the switch. I had to turn on the turntable and make these adjustments over and over to figure out what was what because the diagrams in the manual are not that clear.

The screw which is pointing in towards the center of table is the one which adjusts the tonearm return. Do this adjustment first. The screw that is parallel to the side of the table is the one to make adjustments to last, to activate the switch.

Table is running perfectly now and is near mint. I know there is very little info out there on these rare Sony tables, but it is a nice direct drive table. Is uses a wood top for the table part, the bottom is a plastic cover but it looks clean and stylish. It is heavy. Also, it has a cool auto speed detection circuit (I found out the platter is necessary when diagnosing the above issue because it will start spinning very fast without the platter side marks to allow it to set speed. I am thinking of putting a new stylus on the old stanton cart 680 ee or maybe changing the cart out now.

(Edit) After setting the tracking force a little higher, this cart sounds pretty darn good. I'm going to research on stylus. Im not sure how many hours current one has.

Thanks to all (and VE) who posted comments here that helped me greatly.

the_fox

Post by the_fox » 30 Jan 2014 17:52

I have just stumbled on this thread. I too have the constantly spinning platter issue on my ps3300, and wondered if anyone has some pics and/or step-by-step instructions they'd be kind enough to share on this please ?

vonchowder

Post by vonchowder » 31 Jan 2014 17:58

I have some pics that show the adjustment screws. I will try to post later this evening. I am in CST zone.

1) Remove bottom black plastic cover.
Your first step will be to remove the bottom plastic cover. You will need to unplug the unit. Secure the tonearm to the rest. REMOVE THE METAL PLATTER from splindle. It should easily lift up. You will then need to carefully turn the entire unit upside down. I kept TOP the cover on when I did this, so that the unit can rest on the top cover. Be careful with the tonearm here, it may tend to unhook from the rest because gravity will make the hook fall off.

Once you are looking at the bottom, there are 4 screws on each corner. Phillips. One screw in the middle that is deeply recessed. You must remove all 5 screws before pulling plastic cover off. It should come off easily but be careful with the electric cord. You can slide it out of the bottom plastic once you have most of it pulled away. You will know what I mean here when you start pulling the bottom off.

2) Prepare table for working on adjustments
Once you have the unit free from the bottom cover you will need to arrange a working area that you can prop up the table while it rests on the motor, yet carefully balance the corners so that all the weight is resting on motor or the corners AND NOT THE DELICATE plastic pieces hung on the bottom of the silver part of table. I did this with some neatly placed textbooks stacked under the corners. I am sure the pros in this forum have better tale workbenches but this is how I got by.

more later...

the_fox

Post by the_fox » 01 Feb 2014 17:56

Thanks, vonchowder. I really appreciate your time & effort. Look forward to another installment as and when you can.

vonchowder

Post by vonchowder » 01 Feb 2014 20:13

In my post above where I said ' there are 4 screws on each corner', I meant to say there is one screw on each corner obviously, and one in the middle.

In step #1 above, you have taken the cover off the bottom and you have it upside down, it is a good chance to clean the gummy lube if necessary of the linkage plates.

So the hard step is #2 above. You want the table positioned so that it is upright and you can place the platter back on it, and power it on... all while the table is suspended because the bottom plastic cover is off. You could do some real damage here if your not extremely careful about making sure the table is level and propped up by the corners. I let mine rest on the big motor part, and leveled it with textbooks stacked under the corners. Finally you want to be able to look under the table (while it is running) and access the adjustment screws on the side nearest the tonearm.

In the pic below I show my arrangement, I point out which screw to adjust.
WP_20140127_14_17_41_Pro.jpg
Underside view
(112.71 KiB) Downloaded 1904 times

3) Once you have it positioned as above with the platter and mat, place a lp record as normal. You will want to use one you may not care as much for, because you are going to be making many attempts at this, the tonearm does several up and downs on the vinyl.

4) Now plug the table in and with the platter spinning with the vinyl, set the stylus down near where it abnormally pics up. Mine picked up about an inch in radius before it should have. If this is the case with yours, you will want to loosen the screw in the above pic on the left. Keep loosening and you will observe that it will allow the tonearm to go further in. Get it to the point where it correctly goes all the way to the dead space and then returns.

5) Once the return adjustment is done you need to adjust the pressure on the microswitch which is the screw in first pic above on the right.
This will be trial and error. I pushed in the little red microswitch with my finger to make sure it indeed powered off the table and also to get a sense of how far it needed to go in. This will give you feel for how to adjust the second screw. Turn it with a allen driver to make the action push it in further or not. This will take a few attempts and you need to watch the underside linkages operate while the tonearm returns in realtime to know what Im talking about here.
WP_20140127_14_18_40_Pro_cl.jpg
Closeup
(318.9 KiB) Downloaded 1823 times
Sorry I dont have a good pic of the microswitch, but you should see a little red stem sticking out of the small plastic black box. That is it. Look at the manual to get a sense of what Im talking about here.

Apologies for the scatterbrained tutorial. It is not too hard but just need some patience getting working area setup to allow you to watch underside while the tonarm returns. good luck!

the_fox

Post by the_fox » 03 Feb 2014 13:37

Thanks again for the helpful photos and instructions. Really helpful. I am hoping to set to work on it this week, and report back on how it goes.

the_fox

Post by the_fox » 04 Feb 2014 22:39

Well I am pleased to report that I managed to do this today, and got it all up & running fine again. Everything you mention in your instructions made sense as I went along. I cleaned the gunk off the metalwork and applied a little white lithium grease. Did the same with the rather delicate-looking springs. I propped the edges of the TT up with - how ironic is this ? - CDs ! I found that a stack of 5 CD cases on each edge did the trick.

I used a really bad LP to test with. I could see the little red button on the black microswitch if I placed the needle near the end of the record and then switched the power off. About 1 turn of the "return adjustment" screw and then a quarter turn of the "microswitch pressure" screw (which needs a really small allen key) did the trick for me.

I have discovered a new sense of satisfaction (and potentially a new hobby) in doing this work. I hope this thread will work out as useful for someone else in the future as it has for me. Thanks again for the clear instructions and photos.

Next job ? I might try to replace the built-in phono leads...

vonchowder

Post by vonchowder » 05 Feb 2014 00:31

wow. congratulations. I am glad we were all able to help each other out in this thread. The 3300 is a good table but seems rather rare. Thanks for posting back your success.

After I got mine working I ordered a new (well NOS) stylus I found on ebay for the Stanton 680ee on this thing and it sounds great.