Sony PS 3000 information?

make believe
Dick Schneiders

Sony PS 3000 information?

Post by Dick Schneiders » 14 Sep 2005 15:46

I am certain that this is an unresolvable situation, but I am trying to locate some information, preferably repair manual, for my late 1960's Sony PS 3000 turntable. I purchased this table when it was new in Japan in 1968, and I havn't been able to use it for about 20 years when it quit running. It is probably a motor issue, and that might be the death knell for a table this old, but I would like to get it operational, if possible.

Perhaps I should just try to mount the 16" S-shaped arm onto one of my Thorens, a TD-147 or the soon to arrive TD-125 MKII. :)

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Seb
modérateur

Post by Seb » 15 Sep 2005 09:42

Dick Schneiders

Post by Dick Schneiders » 15 Sep 2005 11:26

Thanks Seb,

I didn't find that site in my searches. I do have the original owners manual that came with the PS 3000 when I bought it. However, there isn't information in it about repairing the table.

Mine was remounted in a custom walnut base and a friend of mine made a matching walnut dustcover with a pane of thick glass for the top. This thing was huge and it was able to play the few 16" transcription records that I have.

It is nice to see that somebody thinks enough of this old turntable to have a page on it. It probably isn't worth trying to get it repaired, but it was a nice table when it was working.

I see now what I missed in my searches. I was using the PS 3000 designation, which my tt is, but most of the sites reference it as the tts 3000, which was the first version.

Dick Schneiders

Seb
modérateur

Post by Seb » 15 Sep 2005 16:30

if you're having the original owner manual, don't forget to scant it and to send it to us !

I think you should find someone that could take a deep look at your turntable. If the motor didn't burned, it should be very easy to fix it.

regards

Seb

Dick Schneiders

Post by Dick Schneiders » 15 Sep 2005 16:53

Seb wrote:if you're having the original owner manual, don't forget to scant it and to send it to us !

I think you should find someone that could take a deep look at your turntable. If the motor didn't burned, it should be very easy to fix it.

regards

Seb
Seb,

Yes, I would like to send you a copy of the manual for the library. How do I do this? I have a scanner. What format do you want and who do I send it to?

Also, I have the manual for the Thorens TD-147. There isn't one of them in the library either. Would you want that too?

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

just scan your documentation and send your jpeg files to jas at this adress (all the files must have an explicit name TD147p1 TD147p2... for instance) : admin@vinylengine.com, he'll do the pdf file with your jpeg files

very easy !

regards

Seb

colclarke

Post by colclarke » 15 Sep 2005 21:59

Hi

Imo it would be a great shame for that Sony not to sing again.

Tempting as fitting the arm to a 125 is, I think that would involve a new plinth or at least an armboard extension on the plinth. Sounds like more hassle than fixing the Sony.

Have you checked obvious things like the belt and fuses?

If you do decide to retire it, I have no problems if you throw the deck my way. :)

Regards

Colin

Dick Schneiders

Post by Dick Schneiders » 15 Sep 2005 23:39

Well, I suppose I should drag it out of its storage space and give it a more complete analysis. When it stopped working in 1985, I was unable to find anybody around here to work on it as I live in a smallish town. So I mostly gave up on it and bought a Thorens TD 147. I really only started thinking about it again recently when I decided to replace the 147 with a 125 MKII.

I may have to drag out my old Sony TA2000 preamp also, since it has two phono inputs! :wink: I bought a ton of Sony stuff in the late 1960's when I was in Japan.

Although I don't suppose that a preamp that old would be worthy of use today. It did get great reviews back then, but a lot has changed in more than 35 years.

Dick Schneiders

colclarke

Post by colclarke » 16 Sep 2005 01:16

"Although I don't suppose that a preamp that old would be worthy of use today. "

That's right, total rubbish, pop it in the same box as the deck when you send it. I'll give them a decent burial. :wink:

Lots of interest in vintage Sony right now in certain locales, me I'm drooling like Homer waiting for a cheeseburger. Some pics for the gallery are mandatory.

Regards

Colin

Dick Schneiders

Post by Dick Schneiders » 16 Sep 2005 02:41

colclarke wrote: Lots of interest in vintage Sony right now in certain locales, me I'm drooling like Homer waiting for a cheeseburger. Some pics for the gallery are mandatory.

Regards

Colin
I just joined this great place a few days ago and I don't yet know how to do the picture thing. Also, I am supposed to be scanning a couple of manuals - the PS3000A and the TD147, but I don't know what format or where to send them.

Is there some sort of tutorial here on this stuff?

OOPS, I just found the tutorials - sorry. :oops:

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 16 Sep 2005 08:01

Dick Schneiders wrote: Is there some sort of tutorial here on this stuff?

OOPS, I just found the tutorials - sorry. :oops:
If you are trying to insert images in your post the apology came a little early; unfortunately it isn't possible to show images from the gallery area in the forum at the moment :? I'm trying to find a secure workaround and I'll make an announcement when its fixed. In the meantime you can upload images to the gallery 'latest pictures' section and link to them (just copy the url and post in the thread).

Regards,
JaS

AnalogHifi

Post by AnalogHifi » 22 Sep 2005 13:58

Hello Dick,

the Sericemanuals are here: http://home.versanet.de/~j-schmieding/

We have many Inofrmation about the Sony on http://www.analog-forum.de, but it's only in German.

Andreas

Dick Schneiders

Post by Dick Schneiders » 22 Sep 2005 14:43

Andreas,

Thank you so very much for these links. Perhaps now I will be able to get my old Sony 3000 back in operation. I don't really need another working turntable, but I have always loved the Sony.

While I have a German name, I don't know the language. I also am a very serious collector of stand-alone chess computers, that were all the rage in the 1980's and early 1990's. While they are not popular anymore in the US, there are many serious collectors of them in Europe, mostly Germany, and several wonderful websites in German devoted to these old chess devices. Over the years I have learned how to figure out a lot of what is being said on them, either through translator websites or just picking out a few words here and there.

I love the information that is available on the Internet. It sometimes is difficult to find it, though. This site and these manuals never did come up on any of my searches.

Thanks for the help,

Dick Schneiders