Sony PS-LX520 help

make believe
Aluminumfalcone

Sony PS-LX520 help

Post by Aluminumfalcone » 19 Apr 2010 05:43

I had been having trouble with my Sony PS-LX520 for a while. When I try to move the tonearm, it sticks, causing my records to skip. When I tried to disassemble it to see what was wrong, I un-did the arm belt, but I do not know the winding pattern to re-assemble the unit. I looked online for a service manual but they all cost money. Does anyone have any help for me? either give me the correct arm belt winding pattern or point me in the direction to a FREE service manual. Thank you.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Sony PS-LX520 help

Post by fscl » 20 Apr 2010 03:49

Aluminumfalcone wrote:I had been having trouble with my Sony PS-LX520 for a while. When I try to move the tonearm, it sticks, causing my records to skip. When I tried to disassemble it to see what was wrong, I un-did the arm belt, but I do not know the winding pattern to re-assemble the unit. I looked online for a service manual but they all cost money. Does anyone have any help for me? either give me the correct arm belt winding pattern or point me in the direction to a FREE service manual. Thank you.
Alfalcone,

Welcome to VE...... :)

Is this your unit:
http://audioidiots.com/Sony/catalogi/19 ... p026i1.jpg?

If so, you can try using the service manual in the VE Library for the PS-LX55 as a reference:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/Sony/ps-lx55.shtml

The tonearm looks very similar. The tonearm drive belt is a small o-ring, there's also a picture of the "Tonearm Drive Cord Stringing" on page 15 of 29.

Good luck.

Fred

pgloor

Probably rplace small drive belt

Post by pgloor » 08 Jan 2011 21:11

I had the same problem and a review of forums and my experience with my own fix indicated that this is almost certainly your problem:

The roughly 2.6 inch (circumference) drive belt (that connects a tiny motor to the worm screw that moves the tone-arm laterally when it gets the signal) likely needs replacement. Mine was intact but old and rigid enough to keep slipping or hang up the tiny motor. Unplug the unit - take out the 8-10 screws to take off the bottom - remove this little belt - scrub the pulleys with tripled up sewing thread, and replace with new belt. This is a good source:

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Square- ... p_227.html

$6.50 (paypal available) for 2 belts to reach their minimum, free shipping, arrived in 2 days.

You might also want to clean and lightly grease the rail that the tone arm rides on, but this is unlikely to fix the problem without a replacement belt.

pgloor

Post by pgloor » 09 Jan 2011 13:12

Yep - Just did the repair and it was as stated above. Had exactly the same problem you have and changing this tiny drive belt was the fix. I add more details and another source to find this belt:

I had the same problem and a review of forums and my experience with my own fix indicated that this is almost certainly your problem:

The roughly 2.6 inch (circumerence) drive belt (that connects a tiny motor to the worm screw that moves the tone-arm laterally when it gets the signal) likely needs replacement. Mine was intact but old and rigid enough to keep slipping or hang up the tiny motor. Unplug the unit - take out the 8-10 screws to take off the bottom - remove this little belt - scrub the pulleys with tripled-up sewing thread, and replace with new belt. This is a good source:

$6.50 (paypal available) for 2 belts to reach their minimum, free shipping, arrived in 2 days.

You might also want to clean and lightly grease the rail that the tone arm rides on, but this is unlikely to fix the problem without a replacement belt.

golddave

Re: Probably rplace small drive belt

Post by golddave » 10 Mar 2011 17:07

pgloor wrote:I had the same problem and a review of forums and my experience with my own fix indicated that this is almost certainly your problem:

The roughly 2.6 inch (circumference) drive belt (that connects a tiny motor to the worm screw that moves the tone-arm laterally when it gets the signal) likely needs replacement. Mine was intact but old and rigid enough to keep slipping or hang up the tiny motor. Unplug the unit - take out the 8-10 screws to take off the bottom - remove this little belt - scrub the pulleys with tripled up sewing thread, and replace with new belt. This is a good source:

I'm having the same problem and want to try some options before spending money and/or opening up the unit (I'm afraid I'll break it). When you say "lightly grease the rail" what kind of grease?

thecoloroflight

Post by thecoloroflight » 30 Jan 2012 15:40

I was recently given this turntable so I could digitise some of my friend's records for him. I haven't done this in years -- have just been listening to records, but no recording of them -- and I can't remember a few things.

My first question relates to this turntable :
I see no grounding wire. All the wires that come from the back are RCA and a power cable. I do see a small blue hole. Perhaps a grounding wire used to come from that. Any thoughts ? Even if I were to fashion my own grounding wire, there really isn't too much metal back there on which to connect a wire. The hinges are all... and they look like more like a composite metal material.

Second question :
For some reason I just cannot remember how to hook the record player to the phono-in on my receiver, and then output it to a computer line-in. Do I use a tape-out from the receiver for that signal ?

Thanks kindly and take care !

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 31 Jan 2012 05:10

The tape-out will work quite well.

Cheers,
Alec

PWhite214

Post by PWhite214 » 03 May 2012 05:40

I just purchased a Sony PS-LX520. The tone arm would not move at all. I cleaned the bar that the tone arm slides on, which helped. One or two places I still had the tone arm 'sticking'. More cleaning and a light application of oil did not solve the problem.

Using the PS-LX55 service manual (from here) as a guide, I opened up the unit and removed the belt. I cleaned the pulleys and belt. I now have full travel with no problems.

Thanks to everyone posting on this unit.

Phil

chinacave

Post by chinacave » 12 Aug 2013 23:27

I have been tasked to 'fix' a PS-LX-520 -

It all works - EXCEPT that the arm does not move from right to left with the grooves. The arm pivots on the arm holder (inside the black arm housing) until the metal plate hits the arm carrier frame (tonearm base) on the right - then it skips.

Seems the 'interrupter' circuit is not working - the "L"-shaped arm (adjustment plate) moves into the light sensor board, but apparently it does not send a signal to the sensor to move the entire arm assembly to the left to follow the grooves. I am pretty handy mechanically, and with Tube circuits, but not at solid state stuff - I have a full shop with Fluke DVM's, HO / Tek O-scopes etc...

Any thoughts? - is there a component to check that is prone to failure - does not seem like a mechanical fault, but a electronic one.

Thanks
Attachments
LX520 4.jpg
(69.2 KiB) Downloaded 5522 times
LX520 3.jpg
(84.95 KiB) Downloaded 5498 times
LX520 2.jpg
(66.98 KiB) Downloaded 5505 times
LX520 1.jpg
(67.29000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 5500 times

Lazarus Short

Post by Lazarus Short » 31 Aug 2013 22:16

To replace the small drive belt on my PS-LX55 II, I took the old one to a local hardware store and bought a similar one for pennies. It works just fine.

Electrical Inspector

Post by Electrical Inspector » 19 Sep 2013 03:49

Thanks to all for the info...I bought this Sony TT brand new in 1987 as it was top-of-th-line at the time. Over the years with less use I experienced the same skipping problem and had to "help" the carriage along with my finger. I just received new belts from the source referenced above.
With a new belt on the tone arm motor and some light oil (I used Hammond Organ tone wheel generator oil) on the carriage shaft I am back in business and it sounds as good as new. Still playing with the original Ortofon MCP 100 Super cartridge on a Sony STR-AV880 Receiver from '87. What a change listening to Vinyl after listening to iPod downloads.

sylr87

Post by sylr87 » 19 Jan 2015 18:34

Thanks, this thread just fixed my PS-520 that was giving me fits, would stop in random places. Turned out that the motor had a loose screw and the belt was deep seated in the motor pulley. Tightened and cleaned, reseated the belt seems to be tracking fine now.

deputycleric

Post by deputycleric » 22 May 2016 05:00

All of the advice above seconded.

In addition, I found that some fresh teflon grease on the worm gear helped noticeably. Before I did that, the arm would not move at all, but after that it would move in both directions, but needed "help" to keep going, as others have described here.

It seems there is a waiting list for the belt, at least via one site :(

dukiedude13

Re: Probably rplace small drive belt

Post by dukiedude13 » 15 Sep 2016 04:26

pgloor wrote:I had the same problem and a review of forums and my experience with my own fix indicated that this is almost certainly your problem:

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I am currently trying to fix my PS-LX57. I just purchased a new belt as you suggested. I am confused about the part where I need to "scrub the pulleys with tripled up sewing thread". What does that mean, and how do I do that?

Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand. Never taken apart a turntable before.

PhilBiker

Post by PhilBiker » 18 Dec 2016 05:24

dukiedude13 I hope you figured it out.

I picked up this turntable at a Thrift today and using the information here I got it working - for now. Belt on order, the original one is still there, but it pops out pretty easily. It seems to work but I haven't plugged it into the receiver yet. Mine came with a Sony branded VL-45G cartridge. Cantilever slightly bent....

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss18 ... dcxa10.jpg